Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: GIS using social media location information and voter preferences

Registered
    Aug 2001

GIS using social media location information and voter preferences

Does anyone know if the political candidates and their consultants use a mash-up of GIS address data, social media location information, and voter tendency data to advise their clients? It occurred to me last week that this might be happening when Facebook asked me at the top of my timeline whether I voted or not. I can only imagine the value of such a dataset to political candidates and consultants that includes all my probable home location, a general sense of my attitudes and "likes," and whether or not I am a regular voter. I can only imagine the power of that data when geocoded in a GIS. Plus, what about mashing that data with phone survey information. Couple your answers with my hypothetical Facebook dataset, and you have a very powerful predictor of election outcomes. Wow!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Okay, how about this line of inquiry - Do you think GIS is used by the consultants that assist the legislators involved with redistricting every ten years? It seems to me that they would. But which firms, what kind of consultant does that? What kind of consultant acquires that kind of data?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Future of Facebook and Social Media
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 23 Jan 2014, 3:01 PM
  2. Privacy and Social Media
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 18 Oct 2013, 9:43 AM
  3. Internet Your social media policy
    Information Technology