Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Zoning district colors- more residential districts than shades of yellow

Registered
    Apr 2003

Zoning district colors- more residential districts than shades of yellow

After quite a bit of discussion, we are going to do our GIS in house instead of having the county do it. Last time it took months to get an updated zoning map. The county GIS tech used a crazy range of colors that didn't typically associate the traditional colors with the corresponding zoning district (residential is yellow, commercial is red...)

Now that I am taking over that duty, I would like to bring the maps into conformance, but come upon an interesting situation... we have nine different residential districts, seven commercial districts, and a hand full of other unique zoning districts like preserve, one industrial district, and such.

What do you when you have more districts than colors?
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Screen shot from my fair city's public gis zoning map.

Click image for larger version

Name:	gis zoning colors.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	5288
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Start using hatch marks or something to add patterns to the colors.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    This. Crosshatch starting at 5% or similar.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    We use
    Vertical/Horizontal cross hatch for Special Uses,
    Diagonal hatch for Use & Development Commitments.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    This is part of why from a regulatory standpoint I prefer a B/W map with zoning boundaries and clear labels over a color ramp. If you want to stick with color, I suggest using hatching of some kind.

Or better yet, revise your zoning ordinance!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    I have been trying...
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    As a planner I believe it is our mission to create more zones with very subtle differences so we can control things to the point of zoning out lemonade stands in residential districts while still allowing meat packing plants in the same district (you know, the zone for factory worker housing with no kids, but plenty of bars).

We mus find new ways to organize our maps to allow for all these zones. I do like the black and white labeled maps. Happens to be colorblind friendly at the same time.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Ha

You conformist

Who cares, as long as it is accurate.

or

Just use the various shades of standard color codes for hard copy maps. Lump zone districts by use and density in the dozen or so primary color combinations on the hardcopy. This way you can get a quick overview of the general zoning classification. You can look at a hard copy map and know instantly where low density residential, higher density residential, commercial, industrial, mixed use and parks or open space is located. If you want specific information and the exact zone district.....go to the official online or digital copy of the map.

On the computer/online: As long as there is a way to scroll over the parcel or have an interactive way to view the actual name of the district.
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I tend to borrow from nearby colors. For example, I may use yellows for single family districts, and gold or tan hues for multifamily. I tend not to like using hash lines as that can start to make the map difficult to read.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

True.....

Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    I tend to borrow from nearby colors. For example, I may use yellows for single family districts, and gold or tan hues for multifamily. I tend not to like using hash lines as that can start to make the map difficult to read.
    Yeah, those hash lines make it tough to read other things on the map, like roads......
    The online color tool ColorBrewer only goes to 12 primary color classes:
    http://www.personal.psu.edu/cab38/Co...lorBrewer.html
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    This is part of why from a regulatory standpoint I prefer a B/W map with zoning boundaries and clear labels over a color ramp. If you want to stick with color, I suggest using hatching of some kind.

SR speaks The Truth.

I find the B/W district outlined maps the easiest to use across platforms. Color coding and hashing fails eventually.

One of my goals next year is to convert my color coded map to b/w outlined.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    SR speaks The Truth.

I find the B/W district outlined maps the easiest to use across platforms. Color coding and hashing fails eventually.

One of my goals next year is to convert my color coded map to b/w outlined.
    It works for some purposes, but not others. It is far easier to scan a map for a single color than to try to look at each district and match it to a code.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    in my experience, it's a good idea to separate the representation of zoning control systems from land-use. Land-use, which is represented using land-use colors, reflects actual use (including legacy use), whereas zoning reflects current policy intentions and may have nothing to do with use (what happens if a given zone has embraced form-coding?). I tend to illustrate land-use using colors and zones using black and white hatches and other designation, just like NYC does.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    in my experience, it's a good idea to separate the representation of zoning control systems from land-use. Land-use, which is represented using land-use colors, reflects actual use (including legacy use), whereas zoning reflects current policy intentions and may have nothing to do with use (what happens if a given zone has embraced form-coding?). I tend to illustrate land-use using colors and zones using black and white hatches and other designation, just like NYC does. That also solves the not-enough-colors issue, usually.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    It works for some purposes, but not others. It is far easier to scan a map for a single color than to try to look at each district and match it to a code.
    Perhaps if the number of zoning districts is small and/or each district is large in area, but often there is fine grain collections of different districts which make it difficult to decipher.

I still believe B/W with outlined and labeled districts is the best - legible at a fine grained scale and clearly labeled, so you don't need to reference the legend.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    You people favoring black and white are Luddites; you still using Zipatone? Our future land use map and zoning map use a combination of colors and patterns with legends.

On a related note, how do you provide reasonable accommodation for a color-blind planner or GIS tech?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    You people favoring black and white are Luddites; you still using Zipatone? Our future land use map and zoning map use a combination of colors and patterns with legends.

On a related note, how do you provide reasonable accommodation for a color-blind planner or GIS tech?
    That is what we did as well, and labeled the districts on the map as well.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    ...On a related note, how do you provide reasonable accommodation for a color-blind planner or GIS tech?
    Seeing eye dog?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    I realize this is an old thread but I just saw it.

Anyone tasked with GIS should take a few minutes to read this article: http://www.wired.com/2014/10/cindy-brewer-map-design/

Cynthia's Color Brewer Tool tool is very handy, including a colorblind-safe checkbox.

Personally I hate cross hatch or spot-fill and only use them when I have to. They are a nightmare overlaid on features such as roads and parcel lines. Color Brewer helped me make the following 16-district zoning symbology and I escaped with only one cross-hatch to indicate a few conditionally rezoned properties (a Mitten thing).

You're supposed to be able to export the layer's attributes to the PDF, so that a user could click on any of the GIS layers and identify something, but I'm having trouble with it right now while experimenting. I can get to the point where I can turn these layers on and off, but not ID as the help topics lead you to believe. I'm wondering if there was a change to Adobe.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Our zoning district colors are all over the place; they're pretty much random. They were picked just to tell the districts apart, not to identify their category or character.

There's internal resistance to adopting more standard colors, but I'm recommending it in the zoning diagnostic. I'm recommending changing the district names, too. Our "medium density residential" zone has a minimum lot size of 15,000 square feet, or about 2.2 units/acre net.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 30 Sep 2014, 9:09 AM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last post: 15 Apr 2012, 11:17 PM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last post: 28 Dec 2010, 3:48 PM
  4. Standard zoning map colors
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 33
    Last post: 26 Nov 2009, 12:43 PM