Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Permit tracking and code enforcement software

Registered
    Aug 2001

Permitting software

Has anyone had any experience with permitting software. Mainly for inspections, septic and building. I need it to integrate with our GIS. I know about CityView, but I don't know anyone who has used this. Comments, suggestions.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    When I worked with Greensboro NC we had Keane build us our own plan tracking and permit program to the tune of 800,000 it has been written up by the APA and a few others a few times so there should be info out there on it. Fantastic but Id caution you not to work with Keane what a cluster they were to deal with.

If you have more detailed questions or want more info on the program let me know, I was on of the team leaders for the design.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I happened to see a demonstration of GIS and permitting software when I was at the ESRI conference in San Diego last summer. Some folks out of the Atlanta area. The conference was quite hectic and I was a student in the early part of my GIS certificate program, so I really can't tell you anything about the software in any kind of meaningful technical terms. But I did a search and came up with this article: http://www.accela.com/usa/corporate/...nCO_081203.htm

I hope that helps.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The place I just left uses Acella. It has a basic built - in GIS component, but it is not what I would call an integrated GIS. We got dupped into buying it and then couldnt implement the GIS component without running on two platforms (Acella and ESRI). Check it out before you make the plunge!

Registered
    Jun 2003
    The two companies with largest market share in Australia are:

GEAC The relevant product is 'Pathway'. I understand the parent is a US company. Pathway is, I believe an Australian product that GEAC bought when they took over an Australian company, Stowe. We use their old system (TCS) and will migrate to Pathway in March 2004.

Civica Their product is, I understand, more suited to smaller organisations. I have no experience with their software.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    We use something called Permit Works, which is great for tracking building permits, planning/zoning permits, and code enforcement. There's a component that is the master behind each parcel (ownership and other data) that we use for GIS.

I don't do it on a regular basis, but the conversion of tables to our system (we use ArcMap 8.2) works well. I would sugguest that you make sure whatever software you use is not only compatable with your current GIS software, but that the interface is easy/seamless as possible.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Originally posted by Rem
    I understand the parent is a US company.
    *cough* Canadian company *cough*

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Originally posted by Tranplanner
    *cough* Canadian company *cough*
    Same difference .

Sorry about that Chief.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Recently I asked about this on an Oregon planners list. The responses I got were favorable regarding Accela and Blackbear. I was told to stay away from Avaner.

One thing to consider (two, actually) is ensuring that whatever system you go to is easily compatible with your GIS (we use MapInfo) and with whatever software your finance department uses.

Registered
    Dec 2006
    Holy old threads, Batman!

OK - can we get an update to this list? What permitting programs do you use in your land use/zoning/building permits office(s)? Are they helpful?

Would you rather sometimes just use an Xcel spreadsheet, or a running list on paper?

Is anyone familiar with the program 'CDP'? Community Development Partner? It's by Gov Partner?

Thanks.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2009

Permitting Software

The City of Edmonton built a system called POSSE - which they sold to Computronix. Here at the City of Calgary - we use it; and it seems to be pretty good. It's got a few things which are a little whacky; but with time you get used to it.

When I worked for HRM (Halifax Regional Municipality) on the east coast; they used Hansen 7. I know Hansen has a web-based version now - but it worked really well (I found) since you couldn't progress in the process until everything was done.

Registered
    Mar 2010

Permit tracking software

I'm doing research to find out who is using what type of Permit Tracking Software and is it working the way you thought it might? How much did it cost to implement etc... Any information that you can provide would be helpful. I work in a community of 25,000 and we see approx. 1000 permits being reviewed and issued each year.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Did you use the 'Search' function? IIRC last summer there was a fairly extensive thread on this. Maybe spring.

Registered
    May 2007
    Athens-Clarke County just implemented EnerGov - GIS based / Silverlight - multiple departments (Building Inspection, Planning, Public Works mainly - also Public Utilities, Fire, Health, Solid Waste, Health, Transportation, etc..

Registered
    Jul 1998

Permit tracking and code enforcement software

I'm looking for a new product. Does anyone have a system that you like? We are a town of around 3,000 with some growth.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    We use BluePrince here which works pretty well.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I've used MyGov with some success. I know one thing for sure: stay the hell away from the InCode family of products. Words cannot describe my disdain for that program.

I've also heard good things about a program called MyPermitNow, which was developed by a Council of Government in Louisiana. Several cities in Central Texas are converting to it, and we are likely to join them.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    We just switched, why I don't know but it suxs.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    . I know one thing for sure: stay the hell away from the InCode family of products. Words cannot describe my disdain for that program.
    That is what we have now, which is why I am looking.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    We use Trakit by CRW. Everybody seems to like it. (I forgot my password. )

Registered
    Dec 2011
    I am with Navigar and we provide a customized Permit and Compliance solution that automates and streamlines your Permit Tracking system. Our solution is focused on small and mid size municipalities. If you are interested and provide me contact information I will be happy to talk with you for a few minutes and see if it is a good fit.

Registered
    Sep 2008
    We use HTE available through Sungard, with mixed reviews.
    "In our profession, a plan that everyone dislikes for different reasons is a success. A plan everyone dislikes for the same reason is a failure. And a plan that everyone likes for the same reason is an act of God." - Richard Carson

Registered
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally posted by WhenIGrowUp View post
    Holy old threads, Batman!

OK - can we get an update to this list? What permitting programs do you use in your land use/zoning/building permits office(s)? Are they helpful?

Would you rather sometimes just use an Xcel spreadsheet, or a running list on paper?

Is anyone familiar with the program 'CDP'? Community Development Partner? It's by Gov Partner?

Thanks.
    Bump to ask this question again...
    "We are not going to have public meetings to review architecture. Public input ruins the idea of professional review." -Design Review Committee Chairman, 11/04/09

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by WhenIGrowUp View post
    Bump to ask this question again...
    There's another thread on this topic.

http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showt...ement-software
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by calgaryplanner View post
    The City of Edmonton built a system called POSSE - which they sold to Computronix. Here at the City of Calgary - we use it; and it seems to be pretty good. It's got a few things which are a little whacky; but with time you get used to it.

When I worked for HRM (Halifax Regional Municipality) on the east coast; they used Hansen 7. I know Hansen has a web-based version now - but it worked really well (I found) since you couldn't progress in the process until everything was done.
    City of Dallas has POSSE for building inspections and historic preservation. It's a bloated program that is not easily adapted to different departments, and is therefore limited in application here. Yes it talks to our GIS, but since it not suited for zoning or platting, we have a real hard time getting it do produce what we need to produce, outside of a standard checklist-type staff report. Our Code COmpliance dept has a different program, and POSSE won't talk to it, either.

Historic Pres converted to it several years ago. Since then, the talking heads discovered that the way the system is configured means every year we have to pay the POSSE people to update the system to pull current Appraisal District info, update the user list, update tracking and update file linkage. So, as a result of that finding, we haven't updated since 2006.

As a user of it, I find the must-update-every-other-entry a waste of time, and the list of operations required to get to the staff report is seriously crazy. I found some short cuts and shaved about 10 minutes off the time for a routine maintenance request entry, but otherwise it's a known bad program that I would otherwise like to replace with something a) more user-friendly b) more adaptable so other divisions and departments can use it c) more intigrative with other software (not including GIS - it does fine there so far) and d) less counter-intuitive.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 01 Apr 2010, 3:12 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 11 Sep 2008, 1:13 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 19 Aug 2002, 10:00 AM