Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Permit tracking and code enforcement software

Registered
    Feb 2007
    I am re-opening this thread for some advice.. We our looking into replacing our custom design software with something more internet based since our programmer passed on. We have had demos from Mygov, Citizen Serve, and Comcate? Well the last one sucked, so we were intrigued with CS and mygov. Any other suggestions out there? We have a few stipulations:

1. It needs to have mobile support, ie use of ios or andriod support for tablet/smartphone use
    2. California has a complicated building permit fee system (based on evaluation). If a system can handle that, it would be great.
    3. Software must track routing to various departments, ie, a plan set submitted to PW, Building, Fire and Planning, simultaneously. Our director is adamant that the software not be linear in procedure as in goes to one department first, than another.
    4. Legacy data. did you import your legacy data into the new system and did it actually work?

Thanks for any additional tips!
    No Signature Required

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Raf View post
    I am re-opening this thread for some advice.. We our looking into replacing our custom design software with something more internet based since our programmer passed on. We have had demos from Mygov, Citizen Serve, and Comcate? Well the last one sucked, so we were intrigued with CS and mygov. Any other suggestions out there? We have a few stipulations:

1. It needs to have mobile support, ie use of ios or andriod support for tablet/smartphone use
    2. California has a complicated building permit fee system (based on evaluation). If a system can handle that, it would be great.
    3. Software must track routing to various departments, ie, a plan set submitted to PW, Building, Fire and Planning, simultaneously. Our director is adamant that the software not be linear in procedure as in goes to one department first, than another.
    4. Legacy data. did you import your legacy data into the new system and did it actually work?

Thanks for any additional tips!
    I think myGov will get you where you want to be.

If you can get MyPermitNow somehow, I would try. It is entirely cloud-based and designed to work with mobile devices in the field, and it was actually developed by a government group rather than some manipulation of crappy financial software. South Central Planning and Development Commission of Louisiana is the contact. In Central Texas, they have contracted with the Capital Area Council of Government to offer the software--I imagine they could do something similar with a regional commission in California who could then work with you as clients. It is kind of nice as far as procurement goes--it is an interlocal agreement between governments rather than a bidded procurement. They are able to customize processes well in my experience and I know they can do evaluation-based fee calculation because a nearby city does that with them. And it can integrate with your financial software (making your finance department happy). Also, it allows review by multiple reviewers simultaneously.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2008
    We use Permits Plus - it an Excela product. It works great for code enforcement and permitting -

Registered
    Jul 2013

Inexpensive scalable solution

I know this thread is about three years old. However, if you are still looking for a solution for your agency, I would like to point you in the direction of PermitTrax by Bitco Software, LLC. They provide a customizable land management suite and focus there services towards small and medium municipal agencies.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Been involved in more than one effort to implement off the shelf permitting software. None have gone well. We now use an in house program based on a simple Access database and it works great. It's just too hard to customize a piece of software built in an office park for the nuance of a specific city's ordinances and processes. Save the money and use it for inhouse or consulting software assistance.
    Don't read the comments section. You want to, but don't do it.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    There's a more extensive discussion of permit software in this thread.

Moderator note:

Nevermind... decided it would better if I did everyone a solid and merged a few related threads...

SR

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Does anyone have any experience with iWorq?

Registered
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally posted by AG74683 View post
    Does anyone have any experience with iWorq?
    Yep, we use it and we like it.
    "We are not going to have public meetings to review architecture. Public input ruins the idea of professional review." -Design Review Committee Chairman, 11/04/09

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally posted by WhenIGrowUp View post
    Yep, we use it and we like it.
    A little late to the party! We actually ended up going with Iworq starting March of last year (almost a year now). Could not be happier with the product. Incredibly easy to use, great to adapt to whatever circumstance you need, and it has a very low cost since there are no per seat licenses.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    OK, want to bump this again. The powers that be want to move away from our in-house software (which actually works fairly well) and go with an off-the-shelf package that can be part of an enterprise-wide seamless software package for everything from finances to permitting. They are looking at Tyler's MUNIS and Energov.

What do folks think of this software? Particularly if you have a complex and somewhat unique permitting system (lots of types of Site Plan Review, etc.)?

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    I think myGov will get you where you want to be.

If you can get MyPermitNow somehow, I would try. It is entirely cloud-based and designed to work with mobile devices in the field, and it was actually developed by a government group rather than some manipulation of crappy financial software. South Central Planning and Development Commission of Louisiana is the contact. In Central Texas, they have contracted with the Capital Area Council of Government to offer the software--I imagine they could do something similar with a regional commission in California who could then work with you as clients. It is kind of nice as far as procurement goes--it is an interlocal agreement between governments rather than a bidded procurement. They are able to customize processes well in my experience and I know they can do evaluation-based fee calculation because a nearby city does that with them. And it can integrate with your financial software (making your finance department happy). Also, it allows review by multiple reviewers simultaneously.
    I'm getting MyPermitNow in a few months - I'm in love with that software probably more than I should admit. It is seriously fantastic, it isn't so GIS-heavy that it won't work for smaller cities, and the cost is very reasonable. You can break up the modules as well, so if you only want permits and planning projects in the system, you can choose those two portions only. I also really liked that it allows digital submitting, and a person cannot sip a step in the process or proceed to the next step. The only drawback I had is that we didn't have standard operating procedures in place (it was more of the Swedish Chef approach - bork bork bork) so we have had to create that in order to get the system created. Not having to go for bids was also a perk.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    Quote Originally posted by Masswich View post
    OK, want to bump this again. The powers that be want to move away from our in-house software (which actually works fairly well) and go with an off-the-shelf package that can be part of an enterprise-wide seamless software package for everything from finances to permitting. They are looking at Tyler's MUNIS and Energov.

What do folks think of this software? Particularly if you have a complex and somewhat unique permitting system (lots of types of Site Plan Review, etc.)?
    I love BS&A. I have used it a lot in the past and thought all the modules integrated very well.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally posted by Masswich View post

One of the cities I work for was contemplating Tyler MUNIS software but decided to keep their in-house software. I never got to test the software. From what I was told, MUNIS was too expensive. The base model of software is reasonably priced, but if you want the extra bells and whistles (the stuff they were showing my co-workers) it costs a lot more. It cost too much for the small upgrades over the in-house software (and this is a very affluent city). But the finance division did switch to the MUNIS software.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 01 Apr 2010, 3:12 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 11 Sep 2008, 1:13 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 19 Aug 2002, 10:00 AM