Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: UPenn Funding

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013

UPenn Funding

The financial aid packages were posted today. How does everyone feel about their packages?

Registered
    Jan 2013
    I did not get very much (under $10K in grants for the year) which still leaves me with over $35K in loans.

I'll be declining Penn -- I think it's a great school and enjoyed my visit there, but there are other expensive private schools I'd rather pay that amount of money for. Hopefully this means they'll let in someone off the waitlist who can go!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally posted by myh5015 View post
    How does everyone feel about their packages?
    Oh, come on, that isn't fair! You know all the Clemson kids are stuffing!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2011
    We've all been a bit shy posting our awards, so I'll try and break the ice. They offered me around a 1/3 scholarship, which was a pleasant surprise. I have no idea what they've offered in previous years, but it seems generous.

I've been wondering if anyone was able to get some additional funding out of Penn. I'd really love to attend, but even with the funding I'm looking at around 100k of debt in total. I have much better offers from a few solid schools. I'm still going to attempt to negotiate, but I was hoping to gauge what I might be able to realistically get by others' experiences.

I got my Penn funding and was disappointed that I will be in a lot of debt going into grad school. Who would I reach out to ask for more funding?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2013

Funding

I did get some aid but as another person posted, it would leave me with about 100k in debt. IMO, it is way too much for a planning degree. I've gotten into other prestigious programs that have given aid and have opportunities to even get free tuition, stipend and health benefits. I'm attending the open house but it is unlikely for me to go to Penn.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2011
    Has anyone emailed Prof. Landis? I emailed him almost a week ago and haven't heard back. Frankly, it's not a very encouraging sign. Every other director I've emailed has responded within a day or two.

Registered
    Feb 2011

Just curious...

So, did anyone finally go to Penn here?

Registered
    Mar 2014

Same Boat

I'd also like to know, did anyone from last year attend Penn or receive additional funding?

I'm in a similar position this year and I'm not sure if I can justify $100,000+ in debt. Any advice?

Would also like to hear if anyone has chosen to go there/how they negotiated for more funding. As someone who's interested in pursuing urban design within planning, I'd love to go to Penn but cannot afford to take out so much loans. I'm coming straight from undergrad and only was offered $8k in aid. I filed my FAFSA before Feb 20 but weirdly my aid letter said that they haven't received my FAFSA... Anyone else have this problem? I'll be reaching out to them tomorrow about it.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. UPenn MCP?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 29 Mar 2010, 11:44 PM
  2. Columbia, UPenn, NYU
    Student Commons
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 09 Oct 2009, 3:09 PM
  3. UPenn MCP
    Student Commons