Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Graduate/PhD 2012-2013 applications and acceptance notices: Canada

Registered
    Oct 2011

Graduate/PhD 2012-2013 applications and acceptance notices: Canada

Just wanted to start up the post this year.

Applying to UBC, UofT, and Ryerson. Leaning towards UBC since they seem to focus on sustainability (but so competitive!)

BACKGROUND: double-major in Biology and Astrophysics & Physics at UofT (3.6 in last 2 years, 3.93 in last year)
    EXP: intern at TRCA, research ecologist for the university, TA, program assistant for events

Good luck!

Registered
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally posted by zupo View post
    Just wanted to start up the post this year.

Applying to UBC, UofT, and Ryerson. Leaning towards UBC since they seem to focus on sustainability (but so competitive!)

BACKGROUND: double-major in Biology and Astrophysics & Physics at UofT (3.6 in last 2 years, 3.93 in last year)
    EXP: intern at TRCA, research ecologist for the university, TA, program assistant for events

Good luck!

Applying to ryerson and dalhousie and mcgill

background: environmental study- urban planning specialization with urban ecology certification. 7 out of 9 gpa at yorku.
    exp: trca intern as well! working in a development firm [private], got some international experiences.

Registered
    Feb 2011
    Im also Applying to some Canadian Universities... I have not finished my applications though.. only to Ryerson. Im also Applying to York, U of T and Simon Fraser.

Im very excited about this... And of course i hope to recieve several offers...

Good luck to all.

Registered
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally posted by Sergio View post
    Im also Applying to some Canadian Universities... I have not finished my applications though.. only to Ryerson. Im also Applying to York, U of T and Simon Fraser.

Im very excited about this... And of course i hope to recieve several offers...

Good luck to all.
    what school are you from?

Registered
    Feb 2011
    Hey farihaft, how are you doing?

Im from the Catholic University of Peru, but i finished my degree back in 2006. Im a social psychology mayor and have been working on commercial real estate for the past 4 years, hence my interest in Planning.

By now I have finished all my applications but Simon Fraser... Should be done my Monday with it though.

Cheers.

got my first acceptance yesterday from Queens University!

Registered
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally posted by davidwestbrook View post
    got my first acceptance yesterday from Queens University!
    Congratulations!! that was pretty fast by the way... did you apply elsewhere??

In the mean time i am having some fights with the guys from Ryerson... very frustrating...

Congratulations!! that was pretty fast by the way... did you apply elsewhere??

In the mean time i am having some fights with the guys from Ryerson... very frustrating...

I applied to Ryerson as well, although I heard they take a bit longer to respond! Anyone know what would be a better school, Queens or Ryerson?? Any Help Would be really appreciated!!!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2006
    I applied to Ryerson as well, although I heard they take a bit longer to respond! Anyone know what would be a better school, Queens or Ryerson?? Any Help Would be really appreciated!!!
    David, I don't know much about Queen's, but I applied to Ryerson last year. It's very practice-oriented (not a lot of academics as instructors) and very physical planning-oriented. Good program for a terminal degree, not so good if you are interested in PhD studies. Just my opinion.

Registered
    Feb 2011
    I can only Give my opinion as an international student. Even though Queens university has a nice orientation towards my interests, I had the impression that their focus is too local. Also, they accepted one or two international students and therefore I decided not to apply. Ryerson on the other side seems to be Canadas favourite Planning program and have a very practical and international aproach... I had to apply.

Hope this helps.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2011
    Hey I figured I'd reply to this thread.
    I'm a current student at Ryerson, 1st year grad program, so I was basically in your situation just one year ago. I applied right out of undergrad, so I didn't take any time off.
    I'm pretty satisfied with the program overall, especially in terms of reputation. Planning at Ryerson is a distinct 'school', and not just a major offered jointly through another department (like how UofT planning is combined with geography).
    Here's the good news: from what I gather so far, if you get a master's degree in planning in Canada from an accredited program, it does not really matter which school you went to. Yes, some programs may specialize in something more than others (example: we don't have transportation planning at Ryerson yet but we should next year).
    I've looked at the curriculum for Queen's and the type of courses look the same as what I get at Ryerson (e.g. everyone takes a theory course, a quantitative methods course, etc.).
    I will say though that be prepared for A LOT of work regardless. I pull quite a few all-nighters to get work done.
    Also, regarding academic vs. practical: I feel Ryerson has a good balance of both. I have to write and research 'academically' for every assignment. All the profs also have practical experience and most are currently practicing too. Everyone has to write a major research paper to finish their degree (like a half-thesis).

If you have any more questions feel free to send me a message.

Registered
    Nov 2011
    So i got one rejection ...of 3...from dalhousie...i was disappointed...but my research interest focused on developing country...not sure if that was an issue.

Anywho...waiting on ryerson and mcgill!! finger crossed

Registered
    Nov 2011
    So you are from peru?? wow...i was there last April 2011 for 3 weeks. Loved it!!! I hope you get in. Good Luck.

Hey farihaft, how are you doing?

Im from the Catholic University of Peru, but i finished my degree back in 2006. Im a social psychology mayor and have been working on commercial real estate for the past 4 years, hence my interest in Planning.

By now I have finished all my applications but Simon Fraser... Should be done my Monday with it though.

Cheers.

Registered
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally posted by farihaft View post
    So you are from peru?? wow...i was there last April 2011 for 3 weeks. Loved it!!! I hope you get in. Good Luck.
    Yes, Born and Raised and a very proud Peruvian. Im glad you liked it, it is a lovelly place.

Too bad you got your first rejection.... I was actually about to apply to dalhousie, But the idea of of living in Halifax made me decline...

I guess the waiting season is about to start for me since last year Ryerson gave its first acceptances on Feb 18. Let the stress begin.

Quote Originally posted by farihaft View post
    So i got one rejection ...of 3...from dalhousie...i was disappointed...but my research interest focused on developing country...not sure if that was an issue.

Anywho...waiting on ryerson and mcgill!! finger crossed
    Sorry to hear about the unintended outcome of your Dal application. Just wondering if you got a formal letter or an email as a reply!

Registered
    Nov 2011
    hey they sent me an email. not sure if they will send any official letter. It has been over a week...i got nothing from them in my mailbox.

Registered
    Feb 2012
    Hi everyone

I thought I'd join in on this conversation.

I have applied to 4 schools: Queen's, McGill, Ryerson, and UBC - got accepted at Queen's with some funding, but yet to hear from any other schools. Has anybody heard from Ryerson yet? I read that last year the first acceptances/rejections were given out around this time. As for the others, they have told me that mid-March until Mid-April is likely.

Hope to hear more from other applicants this year!

Registered
    Feb 2012
    Hey guys!

I just learnt of this forum so thought I'd chime in. I have applied to UFT, Ryerson, Queens and McGill. Really nervous waiting to get a decision!! I am sure a lot of us are in the same boat. Has anyone already heard back from any of these schools?

Good luck to everyone

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2010
    I was actually about to apply to dalhousie, But the idea of of living in Halifax made me decline...
    Hey now, Halifax is a pretty sweet city.

Signed,
    A proud Haligonian (who has lived ina number of other locations)

Registered
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally posted by hipp5 View post
    Hey now, Halifax is a pretty sweet city.

Signed,
    A proud Haligonian (who has lived ina number of other locations)
    Hello Hipp5:

I am sure halifax is a lovelly city... although It is one of the few canadian cities I dont know. I have visited all major cities within BC, Alberta, Ontario and Quebec.

The reason i dont want to study in Halifax is basically economical. Flying to halifax would be much more expensive than Toronto or Vancouver for both me and all the people that would love to visit me.

Still, I would love to visit Eastern cities once I get accepted. ill have 2 full years to do so, and maybe more. Cheers.

Hello folks,
    I would also like to join this post as I am hoping to get offer from at least one of the four schools that I have applied to: McGill, Ryerson, Dalhousie and Manitoba. As like rest I am anticipating to hear from Ryerson some times soon. Last year admission offers were made right after mid Feb.; however this year seems to be different. Even this post seems to be not as active as similar post last year. Not many candidates are sharing their applications.
    Just keeping my fingers crossed.

Good luck everyone !!

Registered
    Feb 2012
    I applied to three schools in Canada: U of T, UBC and McGill. Anxiously waiting to hear any info as well. I think most schools will send out stuff pretty soon. I'm assuming they read most apps over reading week which is around this time at most schools.

Good luck to all of you!

Just a little tip for when you start your programs: You'll probably want to join CIP as a student member - typically you'll join your provincial body which will say you also get free CIP membership as a result and you'll think that's it... nope, make sure you ask your provincial body explicitly to being the process for your CIP membership.

Interesting to keep an eye on who's going where!

Registered
    Feb 2012
    I spoke to McGill last week as I did not know how to check whether all the materials had been received and the lady (who was super friendly btw) told me that they have started reviewing the files and most of the offers should go out by the end of March and the week before it was April. The timelines are quite off though because the other day I was speaking to a friend and she got an offer from McGill and UofT but she only heard from them in May :s I do wish the online application systems were more efficient is telling us the stage the application has reached. Although this anxiety is probably just from stressing out cos of this waiting game!!

Registered
    Feb 2012
    New to forum!

Applied to Ryerson, UT, and Mcgill for transportation planning. Haven't heard from them yet...

Read from last years forum, people have gotten phone calls, emails, and mail...
    I got two calls on Saturday and missed both. Hope it wasn't them! :P

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 121
    Last post: 10 Jun 2014, 8:36 PM
  2. Replies: 120
    Last post: 28 Jun 2013, 5:46 PM
  3. Replies: 573
    Last post: 12 May 2012, 3:29 AM
  4. Replies: 231
    Last post: 31 Jan 2012, 11:28 PM