Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Graduate/PhD 2012-2013 applications and acceptance notices: Canada

Registered
    Feb 2012
    Also new to this thread/forum in general...thought I'd add my stats:

Applied to Ryerson, UofT, McGill, french program (Maitrise en Urbanisme) at Université de Montréal.

Just got an email from McGill saying the School has recommended me for acceptance and Grad Studies has to finalize (!!!!). I have to accept with a $300 deposit within a week, which isn't the best since a) don't think I'll be hearing back from any of the other schools by then and b) they don't send out funding ("fellowships") offers until April/May. Unfortunately since I don't think I can go without funding (not even sure how much McGill tends to give)...how are others planning on playing the waiting game?

Good luck to everyone!

Registered
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally posted by Grace_Vancity View post

Applied to Ryerson, UofT, McGill, french program (Maitrise en Urbanisme) at Université de Montréal.

Just got an email from McGill saying the School has recommended me for acceptance and Grad Studies has to finalize (!!!!). I have to accept with a $300 deposit within a week, which isn't the best since a) don't think I'll be hearing back from any of the other schools by then and b) they don't send out funding ("fellowships") offers until April/May. Unfortunately since I don't think I can go without funding (not even sure how much McGill tends to give)...how are others planning on playing the waiting game?

Good luck to everyone!
    Hey Grace, question... did you ever log into the MIRIVA system to check your status? I try to do it but it doesn't work!

I think you should call and ask if you were given any funding before you decide!

I was wondering what happens if you don't reply to their offer... do you get put on a wait list or what?

Registered
    Feb 2012

Good luck to everyone!
    Is this for Ph.D or Masters? I just got an email from McGill saying that they're reviewing applications now and everyone will hear by late April

Registered
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally posted by spytgale View post
    Is this for Ph.D or Masters? I just got an email from McGill saying that they're reviewing applications now and everyone will hear by late April
    I got the same email!

Quote Originally posted by MLK View post
    I got the same email!
    Me too got an email from McGill today with same text that I feel is generic.

As far as I'm aware, McGill's available $$ isn't that much to begin with so I wouldn't let that affect your decision as much as the other criteria that might help you determine where you want to go.

If you're hearing this early, I'm sure your grades are good. There's no guarantee but you may (and it wouldn't be limited to going to McGill) have a good chance at one of the Bombardier SSHRC prizes if you haven't already received funding from SSHRC.

Registered
    Feb 2012
    MLK: When I log into the Minerva system it still lists my transcripts and references letters as "outstanding" under the checklist section. I also got that generic email saying they're reviewing applications and decisions should be made by late April, but a few hours after Gladys Chan's. Also, I have a week to accept and pay the deposit after I receive the 'official' acceptance package from Grad Studies, which according to Gladys Chan should be in about two weeks.

Read on this thread from last year that McGill's funding is usually between $1000-5000...so small!

Spytgale: it's for the Masters (I said I wanted the transportation planning option too...)

SmoothBlueCat: Do I have to apply for the Bombardier? I spent the last 6+ months in West Africa and barely had the internet capabilities to scrape together applications, let alone look into funding, and I just got back last week. Definitely next on my to-do list. I don't think my grades were amazing (A- range) but I have some overseas experience in a municipal planning office, so that likely helped.

Still haven't heard a peep from Ryerson, UofT, or UdeM...

Registered
    Feb 2011
    Hello Everyone:

Congratulations to all who have recieved acceptances so far. I see some of you hve heard from Mcgill wich seems rather fast too.

By the way, for those of us who are new to the forum, on the second page of this student lounge forum there is an interesting poll asking which canadian universities you have aplied to. You can find it under *Poll: Fall 2012 -2013 Masters in Urban Planning Program* Make sure you fill your stats over there....

On the other hand, and from last years forum, i see Ryerson seems to be a couple of weeks late on thir acceptances, which brings me to two conclusions: they are taking their time this year or maybe acceptances have been sent but not to anyone of us... What do you guys think?

Again, congrats to everyone who´s been accepted.

Grace: It wouldn't be right away. You would have to apply through your school next fall if you meet the GPA reqs and then would hear about it next April/May.

http://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/funding-...trise-eng.aspx

I thought I had already replied to this but for some reason the post isn't showing.

Grace, the funding wouldn't be for the coming year. If the school determined that you had a sufficient GPA when you entered a program next fall and you put together a research proposal that was applicable, you would apply according to the school's internal deadline. The school would rank the proposals and send them on and eventually after the review process was completed in April/May, you would receive the funding for your research work in the next year.

Registered
    Feb 2012
    Just got an 'informal' acceptance (via email) from U of T -- the formal offer should come in a few days. They also say they get almost 200 applications for 30 spots -- not sure if this is high or low, but just FYI. Anyone know anything about funding from U of T? Or Ryerson? (anyone heard from them? they do seem a few weeks behind based on last year's thread!).

Thanks SmoothBlueCat, much clearer now. Not cheaper, alas, but clearer!

Registered
    Mar 2012

Ryerson

Hi, I'm a first time poster but I thought I would respond in response to the questions about Ryerson. I received acceptance from them last Thursday March 1st with $5000 scholarship. So they have probably started sending out the first round of acceptance.

Registered
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally posted by falcon63 View post
    Hi, I'm a first time poster but I thought I would respond in response to the questions about Ryerson. I received acceptance from them last Thursday March 1st with $5000 scholarship. So they have probably started sending out the first round of acceptance.
    Falcon, was it via email or snail mail?

Thanks!

Registered
    Feb 2011

Thanks!
    I´m guessing By postal mail, and as he lives in Toronto, they where sent noto so long ago.

Congratulations!!

Congratulations Falcon63 !!
    Out of curiosity, does anyone know when to expect next round of acceptances?

Registered
    Feb 2012
    Congrats! Is it a TAship scholarship or free monies?

Registered
    Feb 2012
    I was also wondering whats your GPA (if you don't dont sharing)

Registered
    Mar 2012

Thanks!
    It was by snail mail.

Registered
    Feb 2012
    Anyone have any advice and/or experience with deferring admission? (specifically to UofT, Ryerson, McGill)
    Any idea what the process is, or likelihood of getting re-admitted next year if you have to re-apply?

The job market just seems so dismal (for planning grads included?) and I have had a professional opportunity come up for the fall that might have me looking into deferring admission.

Registered
    Feb 2011
    Anyone have any advice and/or experience with deferring admission? (specifically to UofT, Ryerson, McGill)
    Any idea what the process is, or likelihood of getting re-admitted next year if you have to re-apply?

The job market just seems so dismal (for planning grads included?) and I have had a professional opportunity come up for the fall that might have me looking into deferring admission.
    Hi grace.

From what i have read on Both Ryerson and Toronto´s FAQ´s it seems they don´t like people defering admissions. So I guess it may not be a good idea.

On the other hand It seems like you have prepared pretty good applications since you have been already accepted on fast first rounds. Apparently guys over there are pretty impressed with you. I would believe that if you tell them your problem you may have some chance of defering but on the condition that you re-apply.

You could take a chance... Just my Oppinion... and of course congratulations for both your acceptances... please keep us posted on you desitions since it may help some of us that could make it on the waitlist.

Cheers.

Registered
    Feb 2011

Hi grace.

From what i have read on Both Ryerson and Toronto´s FAQ´s it seems they don´t like people defering admissions. So I guess it may not be a good idea.

On the other hand It seems like you have prepared pretty good applications since you have been already accepted on fast first rounds. Apparently guys over there are pretty impressed with you. I would believe that if you tell them your problem you may have some chance of defering but on the condition that you re-apply.

You could take a chance... Just my Oppinion... and of course congratulations for both your acceptances... please keep us posted on your desitions since it may help some of us that could make it on the waitlist.

Cheers.

Registered
    Nov 2011

Grace Can you provide us with little bit of information as to how your application may have looked like? like a background experience/ gpa etc....if its not too personal to share that is.

Registered
    Feb 2012
    Thanks Sergio. I'm still waiting to hear back and yes, will try to free up my spots ASAP (if that's what I end up deciding) for the rest of the anxious applicants.

Farihaft: I had A- in my last two years (not including a year of exchange in France), and A- overall too. I pumped up my international experience working in a municipal planning office in the capital of a developing country, which likely helped my application loads. I've been out of undergrad for a year and a half now, so have had some professional experience -- I think schools like that. I had good reference letters, but no idea how my personal statement was (so hard to judge what you write personally!)...PM me if you have more questions.

Anyone else heard from Ryerson?

Registered
    Feb 2011
    Thanks Sergio. I'm still waiting to hear back and yes, will try to free up my spots ASAP (if that's what I end up deciding) for the rest of the anxious applicants.

Farihaft: I had A- in my last two years (not including a year of exchange in France), and A- overall too. I pumped up my international experience working in a municipal planning office in the capital of a developing country, which likely helped my application loads. I've been out of undergrad for a year and a half now, so have had some professional experience -- I think schools like that. I had good reference letters, but no idea how my personal statement was (so hard to judge what you write personally!)...PM me if you have more questions.

Anyone else heard from Ryerson?

Actually Grace, I recieved this morning my Ryerson rejection by email... I was so shocked to recieve it so early in the game... very frustrating. They claimed my grades where not good enough to be considered for admission. I admit, my GPA overall is not very good but in the last two years it was well over 3.0. Also, i left school 6 years ago and i thought my professional experience would give me a better chance... I´m actually very sad about this.... hopefully i´ll have a better chance on my other schools.

Cheers.

Registered
    Mar 2012
    What are everyone's GPA's like in their last 2 years? Mine is 3.3 so I'm wondering if I will get into the UofC Master's program.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 121
    Last post: 10 Jun 2014, 8:36 PM
  2. Replies: 120
    Last post: 28 Jun 2013, 5:46 PM
  3. Replies: 573
    Last post: 12 May 2012, 3:29 AM
  4. Replies: 231
    Last post: 31 Jan 2012, 11:28 PM
  5. Replies: 240