Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Graduate/PhD 2012-2013 applications and acceptance notices: Canada

Registered
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally posted by hankthetank View post
    I'm new around here. I've been accepted at Manitoba and Calgary.
    Anyone know anything about the programs?
    Calgary's program isn't accredited/recognized by CiP, if that factors into your future plans.

Registered
    Feb 2012
    Just got my rejection letter from UT

Registered
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally posted by MLK View post
    Just got my rejection letter from UT
    Welcome to the club! I'm still waiting on Ryerson.

Registered
    Feb 2012
    I'm still waiting on Ryerson too. And McGill - down to the last minute!

Registered
    Apr 2012

Applying to Ryerson MPl (Accelerated)

Apparently Ryerson's admission to the MPl accelerated program is still open so I'm applying late. I'm currently taking a Masters program (not in planning) elsewhere but I hear good things about Ryerson. Eeeek. Congrats to those that got in.

teambear

Registered
    Apr 2012

About Calgary's planning program

Quote Originally posted by hankthetank View post
    I'm new around here. I've been accepted at Manitoba and Calgary.
    Anyone know anything about the programs?
    I can talk about Calgary's program. I'm not in planning but MEDes thesis. I've taken some planning courses. There are growing pains as it's a new program. I think the issues with accreditation and tuition costs have been worked out but the program still isn't accredited. The courses offered this year were fairly well received but there are issues with content within the courses and assignments (too many team work assignments that should just be individual papers).

It's hard to say what all of the courses are like because the first class hasn't gone through 2nd year yet but there will be a pretty decent selection of courses next year. I hope this helps.

thx team bear

Still Waiting

Hey everyone,

Its going to be the end of April soon and I'm still waiting to hear back from Queen's, Ryerson and McGill. Is there anyone out there in the same boat as me? I'm beginning to think I should send them an email to ask about my application status

Registered
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally posted by captainsharpe View post
    Hey everyone,

Its going to be the end of April soon and I'm still waiting to hear back from Queen's, Ryerson and McGill. Is there anyone out there in the same boat as me? I'm beginning to think I should send them an email to ask about my application status
    Still in the same boat as you for Ryerson.They're taking a rather long time to respond. I was accepted to York with a hefty funding offer but since Ryerson was my first choice, I thought it would be worth it to wait it out and see what they say. After waiting a couple days, my impatience led me to call them last week to ask what the status of my application was and when I'd hear back. The lady on the line was very vague said they've already started sending out acceptances and rejections (clearly!) but I can hear from them anywhere between now and August. York was nice enough to extend my deadline to accept their offer to the end of this week; but if I don't hear back from Rye, I think I might just give up an accept York's offer.

Anyone else going through this same dilemma of deadlines for accepting offers?

Registered
    Feb 2012
    I was going through that too last month. It's rather frustrating for those of us who received an earlier offer from one school but who would have rather waited for the latter possibility of other schools. August though?? That is a lot to ask for someone moving to a new city - less than a month's notice. Last year on this forum there were still people waiting by the end of April, so I guess that's what we should just expect.

Registered
    Mar 2012
    I was one of the last to hear last year from Ryerson in early may so keep holding on and checking the mail

McGill

Still no word from McGill for me! Has anyone received an acceptance from them?

As I always seem to be auto-logged out before I have the chance to post everything I've typed up, I'll keep this second attempt shorter.

Do something while you're waiting.
    If you're not flat-out rejected, you may still receive an offer over the summer but don't count on it / let it control your plans.
    Being accepted last is not a stigma. One of my good friends was accepted last and there are few people I would rather work with.

Other tip:
    Intelligence is worthless without hard work. When you're working in teams, dependability and reliability win out.

Finally:
    Most of us watching these threads are wishing you all luck and looking forward to meeting your cohort.

Registered
    Apr 2012
    I applied to the Ryerson M.Pl. accelerated stream in early March, I still haven't heard anything, I keep checking RAMSS, and nothing. Is it advisable to call the graduate admissions people for an update, or just wait it out?

Registered
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally posted by Teambear View post
    I can talk about Calgary's program. I'm not in planning but MEDes thesis. I've taken some planning courses. There are growing pains as it's a new program. I think the issues with accreditation and tuition costs have been worked out but the program still isn't accredited. The courses offered this year were fairly well received but there are issues with content within the courses and assignments (too many team work assignments that should just be individual papers).

It's hard to say what all of the courses are like because the first class hasn't gone through 2nd year yet but there will be a pretty decent selection of courses next year. I hope this helps.

thx team bear
    Thanks. That's kind of what I was expecting to hear. I've talked to two people about the program. One person didn't like it as there was still the growing pains you mentioned, another person loved it and said it's exciting being part of a new program and that the courses were great. I'm pretty excited.

Hey,
    I've been waiting to hear back from Ryerson MPl as well. I contacted admissions (for a second time) and this is the response I got: "Your application is complete and is currently under review. Decisions are going out on a daily basis and continue through the spring and summer. If you are offered admission, you will be notified by mail. If you are not admitted, you will receive an e-mail." A little less vague than the last response I received from them, I guess we're stuck waiting it out!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007
    Ryerson has sent out the first round, and likely second round at this time. From my experience, they have ranked all the applicants and are sending out acceptance letters as people reject Ryerson offers. Last year, I know of an applicant who was notified in August for acceptance. Whereas for me, I was given notice that I was accepted in April.

Everyone needs to be patient, you may find out next month or in a few months. I know it's hard to not know, but that's all you can do. Don't fret. Just go on with your life.

Good luck!

Registered
    Apr 2012

Ryerson

Hi everyone,

Just noticed on the Ryerson website that "urban development" is now considered a closed program.

http://www.ryerson.ca/graduate/admissions/index.html

Registered
    Apr 2012

Ryerson

Hi everyone, Just checked the Ryerson wesbite and Urban Development is now a "closed program".
    http://www.ryerson.ca/graduate/admissions/index.html

Quote Originally posted by SmoothBlueCat View post
    As I always seem to be auto-logged out before I have the chance to post everything I've typed up, I'll keep this second attempt shorter.

Do something while you're waiting.
    If you're not flat-out rejected, you may still receive an offer over the summer but don't count on it / let it control your plans.
    Being accepted last is not a stigma. One of my good friends was accepted last and there are few people I would rather work with.

Other tip:
    Intelligence is worthless without hard work. When you're working in teams, dependability and reliability win out.

Finally:
    Most of us watching these threads are wishing you all luck and looking forward to meeting your cohort.
    I just found at another popular site that someone got wait-listed today (through email) for MUP McGill program. However I didn't see more than one acceptance/rejection result for F-2012. Any thoughts/experience if the school could inform wait-listed candidates prior to accepted or refused?

Registered
    Apr 2012

Ryerson

Hello guys!! Did any of you guys applied for MASc in Electrical and Computer Engineering program. I have applied to ryerson in Dec2011.. Still waiting for the admission result.. Is their any one from the same department and program!!!

Registered
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally posted by Jameel909 View post
    Hello guys!! Did any of you guys applied for MASc in Electrical and Computer Engineering program. I have applied to ryerson in Dec2011.. Still waiting for the admission result.. Is their any one from the same department and program!!!
    Jameel, this site is mostly for people applying to urban planning or planning related programs. You may want to try a site like Gradcafe. Your question will have a better chance of being answered there

Registered
    Feb 2012
    McGill just emailed me and said that the final list of acceptances would be completed by mid-May. So much for 'mid-April' like last year!

Registered
    Mar 2011

Ryerson lagging still!

Anyone else not heard from Ryerson yet? I heard from a friend in the program currently that as of 2 weeks ago they had 6 places left. Another friend of mine who applied to the program too got an email saying they'd been waitlisted. Any calls I make to the grad admissions office just gets a "rejections going out by email and acceptance by regular mail."

I wish they'd finish it off one way or the other, so that people still waiting can, you know, get on with their lives.

I really don't know the full inner workings so I can't comment further Archplanner! Cheers to you all; awol for a bit.

Registered
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally posted by benjamin.a.j View post
    Anyone else not heard from Ryerson yet? I heard from a friend in the program currently that as of 2 weeks ago they had 6 places left. Another friend of mine who applied to the program too got an email saying they'd been waitlisted. Any calls I make to the grad admissions office just gets a "rejections going out by email and acceptance by regular mail."

I wish they'd finish it off one way or the other, so that people still waiting can, you know, get on with their lives.
    Yup, still waiting. I've already accepted York's offer though but I'm still curious to know whether or not I got in! I may just change my mind but only if they'd just make up their minds

+ Reply to thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 121
    Last post: 10 Jun 2014, 8:36 PM
  2. Replies: 120
    Last post: 28 Jun 2013, 5:46 PM
  3. Replies: 573
    Last post: 12 May 2012, 3:29 AM
  4. Replies: 231
    Last post: 31 Jan 2012, 11:28 PM
  5. Replies: 240