Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What maps don't tell you

Registered
    Feb 2004

What maps don't tell you

Check out this map of new home construction from 1960-1969. Lots of new houses being built in LA and Long Island....no surprises there. But take a look at nw Texas....what the heck was going on around Amarillo, Clovis, Lubbock, and dare I say Roswell during that time frame?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post

Check out this map of new home construction from 1960-1969. Lots of new houses being built in LA and Long Island....no surprises there. But take a look at nw Texas....what the heck was going on around Amarillo, Clovis, Lubbock, and dare I say Roswell during that time frame?
    Maybe they are mostly rebuilds from tornado damage?
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Dec 2008
    This floodplain map shows that most of the "west Memphis area" is not in a flood plain so why hasn't memphis grown west at all?
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Moderator note:
    split from neverending kinda dumb questions thread

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Um, what is the percentage referring to?

I would guess the high percentage of Texas is reflective of the fact that very little was built beforehand so one wouldn't have to add that many units to have a large percentage increase.

Cyburbia Administrator
    Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    • Amarillo: energy boom, nuclear weapons assembly.
    • Clovis: energy boom, Cannon AFB. (Clovis is an armpit. Nobody moves there on their own accord.)
    • Lubbock: energy boom, Reese AFB, Texas Tech.
    • Roswell: Can't really say. There's a lot of retirees there, though.

There was always a huge military presence in Texas and New Mexico, and the Cold War only intensified it.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jan 2005
    But take a look at nw Texas....what the heck was going on around Amarillo, Clovis, Lubbock, and dare I say Roswell during that time frame?
    Cue Twilight Zone theme music..

Registered
    May 2005
    I would have guessed defense related activity and energy for the "boom" in those areas as well. In Roswell, the Walker Air Force Base was decommissioned in 1967 so I would expect a drop in population before the retirement thing really picked up.

But in keeping with the "hidden story" of maps, we have to remember what different maps are depicting and how that data is defined. If this is an increase in housing starts, a small community like Jal New Mexico (population 2000) in the SE part of the state only has to add a few new homes to see a large percent increase.

Another thing that might boost population and therefore housing demand and starts in these more remote areas are regional medical facilities. These often serve very large geographic areas and employ a good number of people in a small area. I know also in Roswell that the former Walker AFB has been leased out to some German concern. They might be military or some R&D for flight related stuff, I'm not really sure. But they all have to live somewhere...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Love maps that just show percentage growth. Had one house, now there are two, that's 100% growth. That's much more impressive than 10,000 new houses built in a metropolitan area of 1,000,000.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Nothing like a good electoral map to paint a skewed picture I always say.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Love maps that just show percentage growth. Had one house, now there are two, that's 100% growth. That's much more impressive than 10,000 new houses built in a metropolitan area of 1,000,000.
    That's exactly it. Texas is the state is state with the most counties. Then when you consider how sparsely populated the Panhandle and West Texas are, you just described exactly what happened.

Anyway, one thing that I've always wondered is how do these small counties even justify their own existence? Like there's Loving County in West Texas that has a current population of 82. I honestly can't think of reason not to consolidate some counties, especially in Texas.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    • Amarillo: energy boom, nuclear weapons assembly.
    • Clovis: energy boom, Cannon AFB. (Clovis is an armpit. Nobody moves there on their own accord.)
    • Lubbock: energy boom, Reese AFB, Texas Tech.
    • Roswell: Can't really say. There's a lot of retirees there, though.

There was always a huge military presence in Texas and New Mexico, and the Cold War only intensified it.
    That's what I would have guessed. A similar boom occurred in western North Dakota in the 1970's, and is happening again in western North Dakota, eastern Montana, and adjacent parts of Canadian states.

It interesting to see the growth on Indian reservations in the same region.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jun 2003
    How about the names of defunct ski area in Colorado -

Geneva Basin Ski Area on Guenella Pass Rd

Saint Mary's Glacier off of I-70
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbia Administrator
    Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by stroskey View post
    This floodplain map shows that most of the "west Memphis area" is not in a flood plain so why hasn't memphis grown west at all?
    That's when you have to resort to your mad geographer skills.

West Memphis, Arkansas? I don't think the map is intended to cover that area. Even if much of the area weren't in a floodplain, why build over there? The market has dictated that the area is better suited for truck stops and distribution facilities than for large residential areas. The buildable area in West Memphis, outside of the Mississippi flood plain, is as far away from downtown Memphis as the I-240 loop east of the river The west side of a town also has disadvantages for vehicle commuting; the sun will be in driver's eyes for both the morning and evening commute. West Memphis may also have a blue-collar/redneck stigma that wards off potential residents.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    That's what I would have guessed. A similar boom occurred in western North Dakota in the 1970's, and is happening again in western North Dakota, eastern Montana, and adjacent parts of Canadian states.
    <stage whisper> Psst - I think they call them "provinces..."

I read an interesting article on fracking and its impact on the renewed boom in drilling in that area. There's a lot of money being made up there these days...

PS, my emoticons are not working right now or I would have peppered this with more expression...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by stroskey View post
    Off the edge of the map -
    Here be dragons
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Old maps into new
    Information Technology
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 22 Jul 2010, 10:12 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 06 Oct 2008, 7:05 AM
  3. Internet Getting an image off Google Maps
    Information Technology
    Replies: 6