Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Tree preservation ordinances

Tree preservation ordinances

We have had discussion on how to preserve existing tree cover with new development. We require a tree inventory and replacement of trees lost with new construction, but there is concern that developers can take down trees prior to submitting a site development plan and get out of the requirement.

any good examples?

One I ran across was Des Moines Iowa, which I actually really like, they enforce tree canopy based on aerial photography. Any site plan requires an overlay of 2009 aerial photography showing change in tree cover, each 2,000 SF lost requires a new tree

Other options I've seen involve requiring permits for tree removal, which seems really hard to enforce and a major administrative hassle.

How does your community approach it?

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by FightingIllini07 View post
    We have had discussion on how to preserve existing tree cover with new development. We require a tree inventory and replacement of trees lost with new construction, but there is concern that developers can take down trees prior to submitting a site development plan and get out of the requirement.

any good examples?

One I ran across was Des Moines Iowa, which I actually really like, they enforce tree canopy based on aerial photography. Any site plan requires an overlay of 2009 aerial photography showing change in tree cover, each 2,000 SF lost requires a new tree

Other options I've seen involve requiring permits for tree removal, which seems really hard to enforce and a major administrative hassle.

How does your community approach it?
    I have plenty of examples of clearing before permit application. What is the objective - to retroractively penalize or simply replace lost canopy cover? BTW, 2000sf with one tree leaves you open for abuse with replacing with ornamentals...
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Here in my jurisdiction, we're in the process of relaxing our tree protection ordinance to reflect Gov. Skeletor's policy of limiting government intrusion on private property land use rights.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    Here in my jurisdiction, we're in the process of relaxing our tree protection ordinance to reflect Gov. Skeletor's policy of limiting government intrusion on private property land use rights.
    Narrow-minded and counterproductive! :o/
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Tree canopy ordinances
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 25 Nov 2008, 9:33 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 19 Nov 2008, 6:40 PM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last post: 14 Oct 2005, 2:43 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last post: 03 Mar 2005, 11:00 AM