Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Putting GIS data on the Web

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008

Putting GIS data on the Web

I was just wondering how you all go about putting your GIS data on the web. I was given this task but right now itís not looking like the GIS Department will hand over the keys to their ArcGIS Server license or the GIS data theyíre trying to sell. So I was curious if there were any good ways to circumvent this? I was looking into the Google Maps API to put stuff on our webpage but I was curious how effective this was or if there was a better way of doing this.

This project is still in the early stages so Iím not as clear of what data my boss wants posted. Iíd imagine itís mainly centerlines, parcels, and maybe a few other random layers. I think she's mainly concerned about just displaying it rather than having it available for download.

Registered
    Jul 2011
    I use this web site routinely... It gives you the info you need, without giving access to the source files.

http://www3.tlma.co.riverside.ca.us/pa/rclis/
    (Click Agree to see the map server).
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. (Douglas Adams)

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Here is another example of GIS data available for public use, but not for download. http://gis.hicentral.com/pubwebsite/ The city and county of Honolulu did a great job with this site.
    Occupy Your Brain!

I can't seem to post the link here, but Mass GIS has a huge amount of data posted for the public. Everything from census data to land use layers. For the entire state.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 18
    Last post: 21 Nov 2012, 11:28 AM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last post: 08 Jul 2011, 10:56 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 24 Jan 2011, 4:48 PM
  4. Replies: 57
    Last post: 24 Feb 2006, 9:26 AM
  5. Replies: 28
    Last post: 06 Jun 2004, 2:50 PM