Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Would city planning school /urban planning school or text books be good.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2007

Would city planning school /urban planning school or text books be good.

I have been thinking of going to school to take city planning /urban planning or getting some text books on it .But I'm not sure if doing so will answer my questions , not only do alot of members here do not have answers to my questions !! many members here seem to be confused with city and suburbs.

Like this thread ..

Are large suburbs really on the same level as small "real cities"
    http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showt...al-cities-quot

Most of my questions are evolution of stores and the different built pattern of the stores ( early , mid and late 20th century built pattern of the stores) , understanding suburbs and why thay are the way they are , understanding early 20th century , mid and late 20th century built pattern .Also understanding why cities in Canada look different than the US cities.And more into understanding the relationship of urban city than suburb city

Like I say I'm not sure if going to school to take city planning /urban planning or getting some text books on it from a school library or university will answer my questions .

I posted some pictures here long ago of Los Angeles asking more less when they built stores like this and why thay built stores like this and why stores like this is really alien to Canada. Why Canada did not built stores like this

and no reply

http://www.cyburbia.org/gallery/show...0/ppuser/11157

Note I have some theories but I wanted some one to confirm my theories .

Here is some more questions I had in these thread

The evolution of stores and the different built pattern. .
    http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showt...-built-pattern.

Why the sun belt cities are the way they are and why this look seems to be so alien to Canada.
    http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showt...e-Mexican-look

Why there are so many high rise condos and high rise apartments in cities in Canada even in very small cities and suburbs in low desity that seem so out of place and alien to cities in the US.

http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showt...an-experts-say

I think it may seem to be tower in park concept rooted in planners in Canada .

Also I was having talk with Howl and Dan has they seem to be only one that seem to understand more about the evolution of stores and the different built pattern.But Howl has not log in here for some weeks now.

I'm not sure if I should take city planning /urban planning in school or get city planning /urban planning text book on it has I'm not sure it will answer my questions.

I just feel like I'm going in circles with many of my questions and not knowing enough about the topic where my questions seem to confuse other members or come across has rant !! Again I think it may be combination of most members do not have answer to my questions and do to I'm weak in english and not knowing enough about it that the thread come across has rant or seem to confused other members . And that after about 3 or 4 replies that most of my thread is just hagging with no reply to my last post.

What do you think I should do ? How do you think I should go about getting information on my questions and informmation on my threads.Would going to a city planning /urban planning in school or get city planning /urban planning text book on it help me ??

I'm a 21 old so I could go to school.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2004
    There's actually a whole heck of a lot of research into the kind of questions you're asking, but it isn't my field, isn't even a subfield that excites me much, so I don't personally have them off the top of my head. But there are people in the field, for all I know there might even be someone in the department i'm in, who would geek out over discussing these things with you for a week if you let them.
    Though usually the "shopping center" people and the "suburban form" people aren't the same people. usually.

First, most of the surface of the "larger cities" you see are actually suburbs. The actual Los Angeles phone book is tiny, because Los Angeles is a teeny little bitty urban neighborhood surrounded by suburbs that have over time become urban. Also, suburbs exist for a bajillion reasons. The Ford Motor factory was one of the major early examples of suburban sprawl. So you aren't going to find any easy answers because there aren't any.

As to why you see much higher density in Canada - my suspicion is it's because Americans are so vehement about hating high density development NEXT TO them that they've made the building codes very restrictive to the point that high density is essentially illegal.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 06 Aug 2013, 9:00 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 01 Oct 2011, 10:46 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 10 Apr 2011, 5:21 AM
  4. Planning Text Books
    Student Commons
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 03 Dec 2004, 1:25 AM