Urban planning community

Closed thread

Thread: Hello everybody!

Registered
    Dec 2011

Hello everybody!

Greetings fellow community,

My name is Bryan Tran, and I am a Grade 11 high school student from Edmonton, Canada. I am a long time lurker of this forum, but I've just recently registered for these boards to join in on the conversation. My true passion, I believe, lies with urban planning, so this community is a treasure for me to have found on the web. I've been collecting the city's transit system maps every since I was six, and my growing collection has fed into my love and interest of the city's roads. Before the time of the widespread handheld GPS, I was the navigator for the family, even at the young age of 7.

My other interests include:
    • Reading
    • Investigating the Halo (universe derived from the game series) canon
    • Android (mobile OS) development
    • Nerding out

I believe that I can change the world pursuing the career with the interests in which I love, and that being a part of this community will help me get through the obstacles bit by bit.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, I hope to contribute valuably!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Yo, Bryan. Greetings from the cold and clammy Florida panhandle and thanks for shifting the Cyburbian Age Bell Curve significantly to the left.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Hello from New York state!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Welcome from the Great State of Ohio! Keep your dreams alive. They may change, but you should always keep them! Glad to have you.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Hey Bryan, welcome, from downt he mountain range a ways. I second what Hink said. Map collectors abound in this profession. It's an undeniable love. Good luck with everything and we'll see you around the forums.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Hello, from Dallas, TX!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Dec 2011
    Wow, oh my goodness! Thank you everyone for the warm welcome! I hope to see you all around the community!!

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Welcome from an inner burb of Washington DC.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Closed thread