Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Anachronisms in your community

Registered
    Feb 2004

Anachronisms in your community

Does the milk man deliver milk to your door (or have you seen those milk machines recently)? Do you have a doctor in town that makes house calls? Does anyone's house still have a fallout shelter?

What anachronisms have you witnessed in your lifetime?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    The Laundry Chute and Mail Chute. The home I recently moved to has none of these things! It also does not have lights in the cieling of any of the bedrooms.

It does however have this thing called a dishwasher. I am terrified to use it as I have never lived in a house with one. I have used industrial dishwashers when I worked in a hospital though.

It also has this coaxial cable that sticks out of the floor of the living room, I plugged the TV to it thinking I would be able to get some reception from a hidden antenae, no such luck.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I get milk delivered to the door. Especially since the Boy seems to be addicted to it.

Other than that, this is a vinyl-clad, snout-nosed garage bedroom community in which people retreat to watching TV when home form work.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    The Laundry Chute and Mail Chute. .
    How about a Coal Chute or Oil Tank ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    How about a Coal Chute or Oil Tank ?
    LOL I did have a coal chute in the old house!! Never tried to open it, assumed it was pretty well sealed. No one ever broke in through it, thout the did through several windows and doors!!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 2007
    The two gas stations closest to my house are full service and the only full service ones I've seen in Michigan in at least a decade. While they are filling your tank they still wash your windows and even check your tire pressure if you ask.

I've also seen milk being delivered regularly to certain houses in the neighborhood, although I think that's just more of a novelty for folks with money to burn.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The house I grew up in had an oil tank in the basement. It also had a vintage 1955 intercom system with the three bedrooms and family room connected to the kitchen. It did not work and one might question why it was needed in a house that was maybe 1700 square feet.

The house I live in now was built in 1976. Every room has these strange receptacles in the wall, into which the previous occupants plugged something called a "telephone". From what I have found on the internets, it appears to be an antecedent of the cell phone. The house also came with a built-in radar range, also from 1976.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I remember neighborhood schools and neighborhood BBQ's in the summer.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Feb 2004
    The El (elevated rail) in Chicago.

Registered
    May 2005
    Combined storm and sanitary sewer.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Being a model year 1948 model, this Bear has seen it all......or so it would seem.....

Coal chute. Yes, at our house at 1948 Macomber Street, Toledo. It was sealed, though.
    Coal chute. Yes, at my house (Wife 2.0, Berdan Avenue, Toledo). It was also sealed.
    Laundry chute. 3012 Isha Laye Way, Toledo. Suburban 1950s ranch.
    Milk port. Small opening in exterior wall with interior door and exterior door, for the milkman to place the milk bottles in. Isha Laye Way home.
    Ice from the milk man on the milk delivering truck. His name was Phil and he would always chip off a chunk of ice for us neighborhood rowdies.
    1948 Wire Recorder. Still have it, upstairs in the anti-Cyburbian barn-style 2-story garage. Records music and sounds on thin spooled wire.
    78 RPM records. I have hundreds. Converting some to CD.
    Crank starter. (Not mine, it was on a friend's early 1960s Fiat. The starter was a "just-in-case" thingy.)
    Oil tank. Our house on East Lincolnshire still had the olde oil tank, used before the conversion to nat-gas.
    Condoms. Not necessary after 1971. Snip-snip.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    The Buffalo News was one of the last newspapers in the United States to be delivered by young paperboys and papergirls. The News still only publishes photos of the bride in wedding announcements.

Buffalo also still has fire call boxes, and a combined storm/sanitary sewer system.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    The Buffalo News was one of the last newspapers in the United States to be delivered by young paperboys and papergirls. The News still only publishes photos of the bride in wedding announcements.

Buffalo also still has fire call boxes, and a combined storm/sanitary sewer system.
    I had a Buffalo News route. I think I made about 30 some dollars a week. Made about a dollar a customer. Now its thrown out of a car at 5 in the morning.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    In the town I grew up in, they still have a couple of brick/cobblestone streets.

Many of the buildings at my alma mater still have the fallout shelter signs on the outside of them.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 05 Mar 2007, 12:17 AM
  2. Community planning vs community development
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 29 Aug 2006, 2:12 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last post: 01 Jun 2006, 2:18 PM