Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Your space

Registered
    Oct 2009

Your space

Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    Why is it that we males prefer one bathroom stall over another? Seriously, it all ends up in the same place anyways...
    Ritual?

I don't like when, in a row of empty urinals, someone decides to use the one next to you.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by dw914er View post
    Ritual?

I don't like when, in a row of empty urinals, someone decides to use the one next to you.
    This happens in the ladies room as well. And at the beach. A lot of people just like being cozy I guess. I am not one of those people. I like my space.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Moderator note:
    split from RTDNTOTO

I also wonder why some folks want to crowd you in the john. Worse are those times when some stranger tries to strike up a conversation while you're taking a wiz Americans have comparatively big space bubbles, and I sometimes wonder why they just don't space out the urinals a little more (that or always put up those screen things). Went to see Harry Potter 7 when it was in its final week just so we could have a relatively empty theater....the place was nearly deserted but wouldntyouknowit Mr. Respiratory Affliction decides the most desirable seats in the house are the ones right next to me

Registered
    Dec 2008
    It is also an egregious violation of space when the dude standing next to you looks over, with or without talking. You stare UP or at the WALL dammit, you DO NOT look over. And if you do, for crying out loud EYES UP! Did you learn nothing in Jr. High?!?! How did you survive high school bathroom use when you're a "stall-next-to-me-looking-over-and-slightly-down" kid? How did natural selection not eliminate you yet!?!?

Sorry, we have one of the aforementioned who frequents the restroom I must use daily.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Having traveled through some far flung places we really do enjoy pretty big space bubbles in the US. That said not much bothers me after my travels and basically seeing every human activity on display right in front of me and people in some parts of the world really don't think twice about touching you either. My hair was a big point of fascination for women in the rural village that I did research in while in Sri Lanka.

In a public bathroom I generally prefer to use a stall that is not next to someone else if available, same with using the public sink. Women are sometimes forced to talk to each other while in a stall due to a lack of TP but generally don't try to chat you up like men do while they are standing at a urinal.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Sweet; I'm now the 'thread starter.' The space issue is definitely very interesting. Another point of contention is when people park next to you in parking lots. I prefer to park further away in order to prevent door dings, but sure enough, I get back to an empty parking lot that has some huge suv parked next to me.

Maybe people crave the company, regardless of the place. I have also had people strike up conversations whilst using the loo. It's awkward because 1) using the restroom does not require a group effort, and 2) what do you do when you're done? Should I interrupt the person as I leave, or wait and remain until they finish the conversation.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by dw914er View post
    Ritual?

I'd rather pee in the sink.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Restroom stalls in public airports - especially older airports - are ridiculously small, considering you have to bring all your bags in the stall with you.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff View post
    I'd rather pee in the sink.
    We've (masculine we) all done that. For some reason, women seem to be appalled, why is that?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    We've (masculine we) all done that. For some reason, women seem to be appalled, why is that?
    It is a hygienic issue. The sink is where you go to clean your hands. What if the user misses and hits the faucet . What if... I can't think of anything else, but...

Airplanes are designed to make everyone's personal space bubble burst.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I like my space when in the bathroom. But I doesn't bother me if someone stands next to me at the line of urinals. If they look over and down, sure that is disconcerting. But I chalk it up to, well, you know, being pretty awesome.

People in this state are very into a lot of personal space. A line at the bank with four people is like 15-18 feet long, because everyone seems to want 4-5 feet of space between them and the person in front of them.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    In a public bathroom I generally prefer to use a stall that is not next to someone else if available, same with using the public sink. Women are sometimes forced to talk to each other while in a stall due to a lack of TP but generally don't try to chat you up like men do while they are standing at a urinal.
    How do you know how men behave in front of the urinal?
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    This happens in the ladies room as well. And at the beach. A lot of people just like being cozy I guess. I am not one of those people. I like my space.
    Same here. The last time RJ and I went to the beach, it was not at all crowded. So what happens? A big family group shows up and starts setting up maybe 10 feet to our left. Except for the teenagers who set up camp maybe 6 feet to our right. WTF? Then they commence to hollering back and forth, walking back and forth practically across our feet, etc. Very annoying.

Registered
    May 2004
    I don't really care of people strike up a conversation while I am wizzing. It's a little weird if they look over and down, but whatever - you can look at it if you want I suppose. It really does me no harm if some weirdo wants to peek. what really irritates me is when people aren't paying attention and they miss the urinal.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    I don't really care of people strike up a conversation while I am wizzing. It's a little weird if they look over and down, but whatever - you can look at it if you want I suppose. It really does me no harm if some weirdo wants to peek. what really irritates me is when people aren't paying attention and they miss the urinal.

What about cell phones in the public restroom? Thoughts?

Personally, I find it creepy. I would never talk on my phone in the restroom (text maybe).
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. (Douglas Adams)

Registered
    Nov 2002
    If I were a pickpocket I would definitely target guys at urinals. Would they really start chasing you in the middle of doing their business?

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Tarf View post

Personally, I find it creepy. I would never talk on my phone in the restroom (text maybe).
    We are forced to use the public restrooms now, because of plumbing problems the floor above us. So now I know who to keep an eye out for, because she is ALWAYS talking on her phone while in the bathroom. I will purposely slam the stall door, flush before using, bang the TP holder, flush again, then stomp to the sinks, bang the paper towel holder, all while she is in there. I do it just to irritate, and the last time I was in there at the same time, she actually said goodbye and hung up before I could complete my irritating behavior.
    We have a 4 stall bathroom. I hate it when I discover that both end stalls are taken. I have no choice but to be next to someone. Even though there are stall walls, it still feels too close.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    It is a hygienic issue. The sink is where you go to clean your hands. What if the user misses and hits the faucet . What if... I can't think of anything else, but...

Airplanes are designed to make everyone's personal space bubble burst.
    Urine is relatively sterile (assuming the offender's ahem appendage is relatively clean), so I don't think it's a hygienic issue so much as the "ick" factor. However, I use the sink to store water when washing my face or shaving, and the thought of urine residue on my face is gross.

I've heard guys talk about peeing in the sink as if it's no big deal or some sort of water conservation thing. I don't buy it, and I don't pee in sinks. The shower, on the other hand, doesn't seem so bad. At least it's being washed down with a lot of soapy water. Right?
    Process and dismissal. Shelter and location. Everybody wants somewhere.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Not sure if its the melting pot nature of DC but I find people just touch my hair with no warning, totally creeps me out. Yes I know I have a lot of hair, yes I know its very curly and wild but for the love of Pete please don't touch me or any part of my person without ASKING!.

The worst is when folks touch it and start having a conversation with whoever they are with to talk about my hair as if I am not right there. Hello I feel you touch me and can hear you talk about me.

Grrr
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    May 2004

It doesn't bother me, but I never do it.

Registered
    Sep 1999

I don't talk on my cell phone that much, but I would never talk on the cell or the home phone in a public restroom or the one at home. And it grosses me out to hear a tinkly noise and a flush when I'm talking to someone. If I'm talking to someone chatty, and I gotta "go", I sign off. Well, and sometimes I use the "gotta go" line to hang up with someone overly chatty.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by kalimotxo View post
    I've heard guys talk about peeing in the sink as if it's no big deal or some sort of water conservation thing. I don't buy it, and I don't pee in sinks. The shower, on the other hand, doesn't seem so bad. At least it's being washed down with a lot of soapy water. Right?
    Yes on peeing in the shower - if you gotta go, with all that water rushing around you, haw can you not?

But peeing in the sink? Really? Is this something other guys do on a regular basis? Or even talk about? I have never, ever heard anyone (guy or gal) tell me they peed in the sink. Did I miss a Man Meeting where this was sanctioned? I think that's totally gross and unacceptable (realizing that, yes, urine is sterile) and I have no plans to do so. I'd rather go outside by a bush or in an alleyway behind a stanky dumpster. Seriously guys, WTF?!
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Dec 2008
    The sink thing - seconded. Never heard it, find it gross.

Pee in the shower all you want gentlemen, just never admit to it and you should handle the cloroxing of the tub/shower when it's time to be done out of common decency. This action, of course, will be recognized as a tacit admission of guilt, but I find that it's generally forgiven or at least not talked about. I always say it's because I don't want her hands having to handle the abrasive, harsh powdered bleach and she smiles....but it's really because I pee in the shower sometimes.

You should also pee on the ground once a week. Back yard, late at night - whatever you've got to do. I'm pretty sure it prevents infection and improves your complexion. I can't prove it, but I think it.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    . . . You should also pee on the ground once a week. Back yard, late at night - whatever you've got to do. I'm pretty sure it prevents infection and improves your complexion. I can't prove it, but I think it.

Remind me of the day when my son was about three and we were traveling in the car. He said he had to pee NOW and, being that it is the rural West, there was no bathroom for thirty miles, except the Great Outdoors. So we pulled over to a spot where DOT keeps their sand for the road and I parked behind the pile of sand. And he was introduced to the glories of the unrepentant outdoor pee. An early step on his way to manhood.

He enjoyed the freedom so much he pretty much wanted to pee outside all the time. Even at home.

So go for it, Ursus. If your yard is good enough for the neighborhood dogs and cat, why not you, as well.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    Yes on peeing in the shower - if you gotta go, with all that water rushing around you, haw can you not?

!
    I disagree. I used to think it was ok. Then in college living with many guys sharing a shower we kept having a super nasty shower no matter how many times we cleaned it. we all figured it was because we were all peeing in the shower. Once we all agreed to stop our shower was much nicer from that point on.

So - no to peeing in the shower. It's gross.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 May 2012, 2:48 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 14 Dec 2010, 10:17 PM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last post: 16 Feb 2007, 4:46 PM
  4. The new Air and Space Museum
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 0