Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Temporary permitting for commercial buildings

Temporary permitting for commercial buildings

Does anyone know of a community with a clear and concise temporary permitting process for commercial developments related to building codes with the goal of anticipating final and full permitting of the project? A town I am working with desires to adopt a temporary permitting process to review commercial projects. Anything that is readily available for review online would be terrific.

Registered
    Aug 2008
    There should be some kind of provision where you are for a plan review process. Till a plan is approved there is not much point in permitting anything, unless you mean land disturbance permitting, which can get started prior to actual "groundbreaking" for structure.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Do you mean temporary process for permits, or just to review a particular commercial project? Totally don't get where your going with this
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Jul 2011
    A temporary permit for a permanent building makes no sense.

A temporary use permit within a structure (or within a temporary structure) does make sense - I've heard them referred to most often as an "interim use" typically subject to some form of a special use permit (e.g., conditional use permit) with a defined "sunset" date, after which the temporary/interim use can be renewed or discontinued in favor of a permanent use. There is probably stuff about this in the San Diego County municipal code, as I have several projects there that allow for interim uses.

However, nobody allows for a temporary permit for a permanent building (unless that building is "temporary" in nature, such as a portable building).
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. (Douglas Adams)

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Tarf View post

A temporary use permit within a structure (or within a temporary structure) does make sense - I've heard them referred to most often as an "interim use" typically subject to some form of a special use permit (e.g., conditional use permit) with a defined "sunset" date, after which the temporary/interim use can be renewed or discontinued in favor of a permanent use. There is probably stuff about this in the San Diego County municipal code, as I have several projects there that allow for interim uses.

However, nobody allows for a temporary permit for a permanent building (unless that building is "temporary" in nature, such as a portable building).
    I think the OP wants a "temporary" building permit process... which is weird (maybe because you and I live in over regulated CA, where you need a building permit for any structure more than 120 sf)

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Are you looking to establish a preliminary review process, or something of that nature?

Registered
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    I think the OP wants a "temporary" building permit process... which is weird (maybe because you and I live in over regulated CA, where you need a building permit for any structure more than 120 sf)

Meaning, a temporary building permit that gets replaced with a permanent building permit after they've completed their review of the plans for the already-constructed structure?

If that's what the OP is asking about, I have but one thing to say: WTF? (or is that three things I just said?).
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. (Douglas Adams)

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Off-topic:
    If that's what the OP is asking about, I have but one thing to say: WTF? (or is that three things I just said?).
    It's my understanding that in some parts of this nation, a simple sketch of where a building is located at is all you need for a building permit, if at all.

After reviewing all comments I understand some clarification and explanation is necessary. The local municipality desires to create a simple and streamlined permitting process that enables commercial business development to make improvements to existing facilities, such as signage, exterior modifications, and minor site improvements to parking areas, refuse collection areas and the like. I understand if a new commercial business seeks to construct a new building on a recently acquired site, they must go through the formal plan review and permitting process, which is typically performed all at the same time.

Also, following the quoted text above, one area the municipality would like to provide flexibility to commercial businesses is for a temporary use permit for within a structure (or "interim use") while the business establishes a plan to renovate/update the building and site. The reason the municipality seeks this option is to encourage/attract businesses into the community where there are currently many vacant commercial structures.

Thank you to everyone for your comments thus far.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by salomondesignboarder View post
    After reviewing all comments I understand some clarification and explanation is necessary. The local municipality desires to create a simple and streamlined permitting process that enables commercial business development to make improvements to existing facilities, such as signage, exterior modifications, and minor site improvements to parking areas, refuse collection areas and the like. I understand if a new commercial business seeks to construct a new building on a recently acquired site, they must go through the formal plan review and permitting process, which is typically performed all at the same time.
    It may not be so simple. The first question to ask is, what does your state's adopted building code require in terms of permits. Again, utilizing the California model that most municipalities use, any exterior building improvements, and to an extent, interior building requirements require a permit. Even a change of "occupancy" i.e. going from an "R" Occupancy (think residential) to a "O" (think office) requires a permit. This triggers a whole slough of changes ranging from fire sprinklers to ADA accessibility. All this comes out of the state's stringent building code.

Our "preferred" approach is this for non-residential strucutre modifications:

1) Applicant Meet with staff to discuss potential changes (building/planning/pw/fire)
    2) Staff determines what requires a permit or what needs to be "upgraded" to meet code or any other planning issues such as "appearance review" with an on-site walk through
    3) Staff sends off letter outlining changes
    4) Applicant utilizes architect/engineer to draft changes
    5) Applicant submits for plan check and pays submittal fees
    6) Staff reviews plan check against code
    7) Changes that need to be made are outlines in "corrections"
    8) Once corrections are completed, issuance of permit
    9) Applicant pays remainder of fees, permit issued
    10) Building inspection(s)
    11) Issuance of FP/CO

Quote Originally posted by salomondesignboarder View post
    Also, following the quoted text above, one area the municipality would like to provide flexibility to commercial businesses is for a temporary use permit for within a structure (or "interim use") while the business establishes a plan to renovate/update the building and site. The reason the municipality seeks this option is to encourage/attract businesses into the community where there are currently many vacant commercial structures.
    Issuance of a Use Permit will be key here. Getting something drafted with dates of occupancy, use types, and conditions etc because what will be deemed a "temp" use can always and usually does turn into a "permanent" use years down the road with the owners or business folks using their "grandfathered" card all day long. Whether you charge for this is a completely different matter, but maintaining control with an adopted document is key.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 15
    Last post: 15 Oct 2009, 12:21 PM
  2. commercial buildings
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 08 May 2003, 5:08 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 06 Dec 2001, 3:36 PM
  4. Temporary buildings