Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: How do you stay up to date on economic and community development?

How do you stay up to date on economic and community development?

Anyone have any favorite web sites / blogs / etc. for keeping up on economic and community development issues?

Registered
    Oct 2005
    At the NCAPA conference this week one presenter mentioned her use of the magazine FastCompany to get up to date financial info and news. They have a website which is chock full of articles.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The IEDC emails are pretty good. I also subscribe to a handful of state organizations, but do not get much there. The same is true of state organization conferences. Most seem to be covering topics that were fresh five years ago or sometimes more. IEDC conferences are going downthill fast. The organization is selling our to a few sponsors who contribute funds, then dominate the agenda with their infomercials.

As far as other organizations go, the one I find most interesting is the Kauffman Foundation, with their work on entrepreneurship.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2010

Wondering the same thing

Since I'm a major part of the editorial team for our website (can't remember if I'm allowed to say it so I won't), I often wonder if there isn't some magic bullet site or blog out there. Thus far I'm not finding it, and people indeed are asking if we can do this on our site. (The answer is no, not really; we have day jobs in the field.)

I agree that the IEDC and the economic development profession in general is offering tired solutions, and community development seems to be fragmented into specific interest areas. I read the HUD site, Federal Reserve community development material, sometimes NAHRO and APA, but there's no one source.

The best thing I've done thus far is to sign up for Google Alerts for a specific phrase of interest. To prove to ourself that there's no one dominant source, just sign up for "community development" or "economic development" for a few days and see if anything rises to the top. It hasn't for me, but I'm very interested in other people's tips.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    One government conference that is actually quite good (and provides you an excuse to travel to the islands) is the State of Hawaii Department of Business, Economic Development, and Tourism conference.
    They invite local, US, and global speakers. Contractors show off flashy clean energy gadgets. The food is good. The information is pretty interesting too, though it emphasizes economic development and there is little to no content on community development.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Google Alerts. Every morning I start my day with news stories from around the country that relate to economic development. Rather than have some wonk tell you what others should be doing I rather would see what my collegues from the country are actually doing.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Aug 2002
    In addition to reading IEDC publications and e-mails, I follow several blogs. Some of them aren't specific to economic & community development, but provide interesting content and often link to similar blogs and websites. Examples:

Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    As far as other organizations go, the one I find most interesting is the Kauffman Foundation, with their work on entrepreneurship.
    I'll second that.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    This is a very timely thread. In my new position, I am going to have to do some of the ED stuff for the near term, and I have been wondering about resources as you all have already provided.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Quote Originally posted by urban2rural View post
    The best thing I've done thus far is to sign up for Google Alerts for a specific phrase of interest. To prove to ourself that there's no one dominant source, just sign up for "community development" or "economic development" for a few days and see if anything rises to the top. It hasn't for me, but I'm very interested in other people's tips.
    What sort of alerts do you set up other than "community development" and the like?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2010
    At times I've had alerts for entrepreneurship, business incubator, site selection, economic data, brownfields, and TIF, depending on interests and needs at the moment. Plus, I second simply "economic development" to understand what real people are doing.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2011
    Journal of Business
    Local newspaper
    Local NPR affiliate (am I a liberal?)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 05 Oct 2010, 10:22 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 27 Aug 2007, 4:23 PM