Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Cost to build a parking garage

Registered
    Aug 2007

Cost to build a parking garage

I am working on a rough cost estimate for a potential master development and need some information. Does anyone have a rough estimate of how much it costs to construct and above ground parking structure? I remember the number of $8,500 to $10,500 per space thrown around when I was in school, but I believe that number is pretty dated. Thanks!

Registered
    Mar 2002
    A quick looksee on Google got this bit of info http://www.reedconstructiondata.com/...models/garage/
    Seems to have a number of factors broken out so seems reasonable to me.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Apr 2006
    I modeled out a three story garage a year or so ago and it worked out to around $25,000 per space. When I worked in DC in 06/07 it was $36,000 a space. The biggest variable is height of the deck.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    I modeled out a three story garage a year or so ago and it worked out to around $25,000 per space. When I worked in DC in 06/07 it was $36,000 a space. The biggest variable is height of the deck.
    My rule of thumb is 35k/stall to start.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    Thanks everyone for helping to confirm my initial thoughts, I was thinking $25,000 to $35,000 is a reasonable estimate, since there is no land acquistion cost involved because the City owns the land. Brocktoon, how large in s.f. and in spaces was the 3-story garage?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    We recently built a 2 story garage and it worked out to around $10k per spot. That is mainly because the garage is buried in a slope, so the only real construction needs to be the floor deck. Currently a potential 3 story garage being proposed would be about $17.5k per spot. No land acquisition or other costs involved. Obviously this is Ohio... so take that for what it is worth.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jul 2005
    $15k per space is the usual planning number here, not including land. $25-30k underground.
    Depends a lot on final finish-out, efficiency, etc.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by rcgplanner View post
    Thanks everyone for helping to confirm my initial thoughts, I was thinking $25,000 to $35,000 is a reasonable estimate, since there is no land acquistion cost involved because the City owns the land. Brocktoon, how large in s.f. and in spaces was the 3-story garage?
    I don't remember the sq ft but it was approximately 350 parking spaces. The land was town owned as well but I added in the appoximate land cost as well. Without land cost the average cost per space was around $21,000. When I was running the model I was doing a break even analysis on the city building the deck when a developer built the required office space.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2010
    I had been told $15,000 - $20,000 per space in Northern Colorado, but I think that may not have included land costs ...

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 20
    Last post: 17 Apr 2012, 10:38 AM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last post: 19 Aug 2008, 9:33 AM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last post: 17 Jun 2008, 9:15 PM
  4. Parking garage construction costs
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 31 Jul 2007, 3:20 PM