Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Neverending RANT thread

Registered
    Nov 2009

The Neverending RANT thread

I was looking for a generic rant thread and noticed (GASP!) we don't have one. So this thread will serve as our generic rant thread for little things in life like people talking on their cell phones in inappropriate places or cutting you off driving or wearing a ton of horrendous cologne.

I will open this delicious space with the following entry:

Why do people put up horrendous photographs of their friends and loved ones on the internet? I'm talking about photos where someone's lip is doing the Elvis curl, someone is licking the corner of their mouth, another person's eyes are rolling, and uncle Bob's tummy is hanging out? Why, oh why, put this up for the entire world to see?
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Dec 2008
    This is called the "Mother Problem". You see, if a mother looks good in a family photo that is the one going out for Christmas regardless of everyone else in the photo.

The same thing applies to females of any age during non-holiday activities. If she looks good and the other women look bad (this is actually preferred) it will go out to as many people as possible, hence the internet posting.

There is only one exception: engagement photos involving her fiance. Then she makes sure they both look good.
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I cannot stand when people don't get out of the way in grocery stores. If you can't move along, get your butt and your cart out of my way. I don't want to wait for you to look for the right kind of mustard for 10 minutes while your cart takes up half the aisle and your butt takes up the other half....

I am going to like this thread.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Dontcha just hate it when people rant rant and rant all the time? I mean, talk about a buncha whiners. Nothing worse than to hear someone complain I always say. It brings everyone around them down. And the only thing worse than people who complain are people who generalize...and wouldnt you know it, everyone you hear generalize is invariably a ranter too.

Life sucks.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    What perfect timing is the opening of this thread because I have something to rant about.

Like most, maybe all public schools, my son's school has a "zero tolerance" policy toward bullying. This is all well and good and well-meaning but here is my problem with it.

The Policy is good for the school and the school district.

It is good for the instigator, because he gets to harass a kid and then what happens to him? He gets stern lecture and the principal elicts from him an insincere apology, which he does not want to make and the other child does not want to receive.

The target of the harassment gets squat really. No sense of empowerment, because he or she must rely on a teacher or principal for some mealy-mouthed faux justice. rather than deal with the situation himslef or herself. And the Policy is set up to make the child rely on others for help.

My son has several times had to deal with harassment of some sort in school. He is absolutely capable to handling the phyical harassment on his own (he is a 2nd degree brown belt in tai kwan do), but the school policy prohibits him from doing so. He is supposed to tell an adult if he is physically harassed. I advocate a more direct approach - such as the one he employed last year when a kid tried to push him off a retaining wall - a swift punch to the mouth. All of the principal's chats with the kid had no effect. My son's approach instantly solved the problem but got him a reprimand. MEH.

So today I had a chat with the principal and my son's teacher. And then the principal had a chat with my son and another little shit. She told the boy to cut it out and she told my son to develop a thicker skin. Thank you so much.

My advice to my son: as always - don't get physical unless the other kid gets physical, but if he does, you can let him have it. I will deal with the repercussions and so will you. 10 year old boys are not creatures of reason. Sometimes a rap in the mouth is the only remedy for an a-hole.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by stroskey View post
    This is called the "Mother Problem". You see, if a mother looks good in a family photo that is the one going out for Christmas regardless of everyone else in the photo.

The same thing applies to females of any age during non-holiday activities. If she looks good and the other women look bad (this is actually preferred) it will go out to as many people as possible, hence the internet posting.

There is only one exception: engagement photos involving her fiance. Then she makes sure they both look good.
    lol That is so true! An obscene amount of photos from our recent trip to Mexico have been distributed to the interwebs recently, and one of the posters put up several dozen photos of herself looking stunning with others looking like they just got back from a year at sea in 1800. Many complaints by the entire wedding party have been filed but to no avail.

The other culprit is my father. He has posted some doozies. I think my mom needs the reins of his FB account.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Jul 2007
    People complaining about mixed use development, when they live in a mixed use community. I had a guy come in today, upset that nearby property (within the mixed use development) was going to be developed in a 3 story office with a restaurant and BAR (emphasis, his) on the bottom.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    So today I had a chat with the principal and my son's teacher. And then the principal had a chat with my son and another little shit. She told the boy to cut it out and she told my son to develop a thicker skin. Thank you so much.

My advice to my son: as always - don't get physical unless the other kid gets physical, but if he does, you can let him have it. I will deal with the repercussions and so will you. 10 year old boys are not creatures of reason. Sometimes a rap in the mouth is the only remedy for an a-hole.
    Well I have nothing real to rant about, but I'm joining this one. Develop a thicker skin? Really? Your son will learn how to tolerate people in his own time and his own way. And the bully walks away without punishment? I bet he feels empowered now, and this makes your son an even more attractive target for him. Unbelievable. (That's a rant face.)

At least your son knows that you'll believe and defend him. The principal can't take that from him.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    My mom wanted to go to Walmart yesterday. So I took her. I avoid the place like the plague, but since we were there I thought I'd buy an itunes gift card as a Christmas present to someone. It totally freaked the checkout lady out, she didn't know how to activiate it, I swiped my debit card and it showed a charge, the itunes card was never activated, had to deal with customer service for 40 minutes to have the charge removed. I hate that place even more than I did before.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    My mom wanted to go to Walmart yesterday. So I took her. I avoid the place like the plague, but since we were there I thought I'd buy an itunes gift card as a Christmas present to someone. It totally freaked the checkout lady out, she didn't know how to activiate it, I swiped my debit card and it showed a charge, the itunes card was never activated, had to deal with customer service for 40 minutes to have the charge removed. I hate that place even more than I did before.
    Wal-mart sucks. I used to buy groceries there (when I lived somewhere without better options), and more often than not I'd check my receipt to find at least one item they over-charged me on. Funny that they never under-charged me on any items

Registered
    Dec 2010
    I can't stand the way some people talk on the phone when they hear news they don't like. Just because we're not speaking in person, that doesn't make it acceptable to SHOUT in my ear!!! Only rarely is someone bold enough to raise their tone with me face to face, but over the phone it seems to happen all the time.
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Registered
    Feb 2009
    People suck at driving. I got t-boned about 6 weeks ago going about 45 outside of Wilmington NC. Guy to my right was pulling out of a parking lot and somehow managed to smash right into the passenger side of my car. I spun out and got off the road. No one was hurt, thank jeebus, and other dude's insurance promptly covered the damages. But my car was out of commission for a few weeks and my Carfax is no longer clean.

Fast forward one month. Leaving a job interview, going about 20 MPH. Another chump pulling out of a parking lot fails to see me and smashes into the passenger side of my car. That's right... the replacement door that was literally 9 days old was smashed beyond repair. Once again, other driver took the blame and his insurance is taking care of me. But it doesn't change the fact that it's annoying, kind of scary, and just generally a crappy situation.

An observation about drivers since I moved to NC: drivers in this state have an impressive preference for driving in the left lane regardless of their speed or intention to pass. A friend of my aptly calls them "Carolina Rolling Roadblocks". It's not only frustrating, it's dangerous. Whether it's just my perception or uniquely terrible in NC remains to be seen.
    Process and dismissal. Shelter and location. Everybody wants somewhere.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by kalimotxo View post
    An observation about drivers since I moved to NC: drivers in this state have an impressive preference for driving in the left lane regardless of their speed or intention to pass. A friend of my aptly calls them "Carolina Rolling Roadblocks". It's not only frustrating, it's dangerous. Whether it's just my perception or uniquely terrible in NC remains to be seen.
    6 monthes after getting my new car I was rear ended 2X. My car is on its 3rd bumper and 2nd trunk. I have noticed the same thing, but I dont think its unique to NC. I'm a speed limit follower so I stay right.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

"Secret Santa, are you listening?"

Our biggest local K-Mart was the scene for the outbreak of strangers paying off layaway accounts for struggling parents. Several reports mentioned that the Santas would ask to see listings, and pick the ones containing clothing and toys for young children. Another report tried to get the corp to brag, but their marketing department declined to use this in a self-serving way.

So last night, needing a couple of generic things (furnace filter!), I decided to support this long-time Michigan-based business (and not the "we succumbed to pressure from the far right" big box hardware sharing the parking lot).

In the Christmas aisle was someone who looked slightly better than the People of Wal-Mart specimens, cart loaded up with several toy items. She noticed me (in my clean thrift store attire) and immediately started rambling about how poor she is, her kids deserve a Christmas, she just doesn't know how she's going to pay for all these things. I offered no response. She continued down the aisle looking at everything, describing the decorations she was looking at and how cute they were.

Over in housewares, a motorized chair user had gotten up to select something off a high shelf. She returned to her cart by wiggling between an aisle shelf unit and a structural pole. I offered, "that's the hard way," channeling my inner Rider in the Sky. She responded with, "everything's hard for me, since I use a wheelchair," and continued on that theme for several sentences.

The cool thing about the surprise SS actions has been just that. I've had an issue with the general idea, though: the truly needy aren't putting toys and new clothing into layaway. And they aren't shopping at this store, a good mile off the bus line.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    The good ol' Left Lane Dick.
    I hate my upstairs neighbors. I swear they must of lived in a tin shack in the rainforest of their Caribbean island country before coming here. The two kids are allowed to run amok all day long without any consideration that someone lives below them. At least they have stopped making noise, playing video games at top volume, and listening to reggae after 10pm.

I can't wait until we move in June, this time I will make sure we live upstairs.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I am getting beyond FED UP at the effects of the product Shrink Ray™ that is making everything that I am buying smaller and smaller....

NOW it has struck 3M - their refill rolls of Magic Transparent Tape™, previously about 25 and a half meters long and the ones that I just bought are now just over 20 m long - 20% shorter!

Mike

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    In my fair community defensive driving is not an option. That and nobody seems to know how to use a turn signal.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    kalimo - what kind of car are you drivin'? Evidently it's your fault they can't see you or maybe they see the target painted on your door...

The left lane speed limit freaks drive me absolutely crazy! I'll pass them on the right and give them a good stare down (but they're usually so d@mn clueless) or when I get behind them, throw the highbeams on.

I will say that I learned my defense driving skills in Florida when you'll see bluehairs that can't see over a steering wheel driving, oblivious to anything else around them.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I hate people who are condescending. I really hate attorneys who are condescending and won't listen to anything you have to say unless you are also an attorney.

There is so much more I could say, but it would look like I'm hijacking this thread.

It's hard to sleep when you're angry. Now I'm angry AND tired.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    I am getting beyond FED UP at the effects of the product Shrink Ray™ that is making everything that I am buying smaller and smaller....

NOW it has struck 3M - their refill rolls of Magic Transparent Tape™, previously about 25 and a half meters long and the ones that I just bought are now just over 20 m long - 20% shorter!

Mike
    Since all the packages that you might need to tape have also been downsized, it should be a wash.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Eastern North Carolina, especially the area near where you are, has some of the worse driving I've ever encountered, especially for an area that is pretty rural except for a few medium sized cities. IMO, a lot of it was caused by the military bases bringing in so many people from disparate parts of the country who were previously used to all different types of driving styles. What might pass as normal behavior in Michigan would be considered rude in Texas and vice versa. Multiply that by 50, throw in a healthy dose of Marines who think they are "professional drivers" based upon their military occupational specialty, and add to that the fact that you have a high percentage of residents who think they are immortal (early 20s, healthy, military, may have seen combat...) and you have a recipe for exceptionally bad driving conditions.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Nov 2009
    I got a letter in the mail yesterday that really brings out my inner Crabby Appleton.

I have an arrangement with my landlord where I keep the disgusting apartment building from looking like a landfill (people throw everything on the ground here when they are done with it. I have never seen so much litter in my life), in exchange for my labor, I was suppose to be getting a $200 rebate off my rent. Not even worth it to be honest, but we do what we have to do to make it ahead in life.

Mowing the strip of grass every week - which requires cleaning up after every random jacko's dog since they are incapable of cleaning up after their dogs themselves and picking up a ton of garbage.
    Removing discarded clothing, lint, and garbage from the laundry room floor and garbage cans once a week.
    Picking up 3,000 cigarette butts in the stairwells and hallways every weekend.
    Picking up garbage in the packing lot and hallways almost daily.
    Chasing drug dealers out of the stairwell and hallways all hours of the day and night.
    Having random tenants feel the need to talk to me about their maintenance problems even though I am not the super, because I now viewed as being responsible for their plumbing problems.

All this for $200 off my rent. Well, yesterday I found out that it really isn't a discount from my rent and that I now have to pay income tax on it. Since taxes haven't been removed from any of these "payments" all year, I get to give back about 33% or so of my rent rebate at the end of the year. So much for the meager $2400 I thought I was saving.

I am pretty annoyed. I've decided to tell my landlord to find someone else to do it. It simply wasn't worth the hassle before, and is even less worth it now. My time I spend picking up after these slobs is worth more than $100 and change.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Don't get me started on the income tax, Terra.... Yes, you have just learned an important lesson regarding why it is so destructive to a capitalistic society - it destroys the incentive to be industrious and useful. And yes, that is just one of the many major reasons why I despise it!

Mike

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Bear's Yard

Logically, it is probably because of funding availability and timing.....but it still riles this Bear.....

Swanton is replacing water and sewer lines below a number of village streets. My yard is a parking place for giant equipment (steam shovels, huge digging machines, 20-foot in length metal cave-in containment protection devices, yadda). The yard is all torn-up from the street inward about 12-feet. When it rains (as it has quite often here in a NW Ohio that has dodged the snow bullet) it is a sloppy and muddy mess. Why did they start this project on November 1? Why? Why?

Oh, I probably answered with my opening statement.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Spock
    Occupy Cyburbia!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    BUN, did they get a temporary construction easement to use your property? If not, I think you have a legitimate claim against Swanton to correct the damage.
    But I'm not a lawyer. Call Nick.
    I think that one of the great signs of security is the ability to just walk away.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING FML thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 44
    Last post: 21 Apr 2013, 9:40 PM
  2. The NEVERENDING When You Die Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 24 Oct 2012, 2:33 PM
  3. The NEVERENDING getting old thread