Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Neverending RANT thread

Registered
    Sep 1999
    After just being at the mall on a busy day: Why do people think they are freaking entitled to walk 3, 4, 5, or even 6 abreast down mall walkways? And I'm not just talking about the usual rude teenagers, who have no clue anyone else exists. Families, adult groups of friends, it's so annoying, whether they are walking in the opposing direction and running us off the side, or meandering in front of us at a glacial pace... I was taught to make way for older people, moms with kids, pregnant women, disabled people; apparently in this world, that's gone right out the window. Same crap happens on urban sidewalks (New Orleans, not even in the French Quarter, being one of the worst).

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    Don't get me started on the income tax, Terra.... Yes, you have just learned an important lesson regarding why it is so destructive to a capitalistic society - it destroys the incentive to be industrious and useful. And yes, that is just one of the many major reasons why I despise it!

Mike
    It isn't the fact that I had to pay taxes on it that annoys me. It is the fact that they told me it was a rebate on my rent when now they are treating me like a vendor. It feels like they were being dishonest and disingenuous. Frankly, the $200/month wasn't worth it to begin with, but now that the benefit is reduced, I'm not going to waste my time. They can find someone else in the building who needs the money more than I do, or they can suck it up and pay professionals to do it, which will cost them a lot more than $200/month.

I'm not a fan of paying an exorbitant amount in taxes, but I do understand why they are necessary and will gladly contribute to the betterment of society.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    Logically, it is probably because of funding availability and timing.....but it still riles this Bear.....

Swanton is replacing water and sewer lines below a number of village streets. My yard is a parking place for giant equipment (steam shovels, huge digging machines, 20-foot in length metal cave-in containment protection devices, yadda). The yard is all torn-up from the street inward about 12-feet. When it rains (as it has quite often here in a NW Ohio that has dodged the snow bullet) it is a sloppy and muddy mess. Why did they start this project on November 1? Why? Why?

Oh, I probably answered with my opening statement.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Spock
    Uh, Bear. There have not been steam shovels since Mike Mulligan.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Reserved a car two weeks ago from Enterprise for a 10 day trip to be picked up at 10:30 today at location nearest my house. Got there at 10:45 and was told that all their cars had been rented out. I explained that I had a reservation and confirmation. The a$$hole manager said they could only "hold cars for so long" before letting someone else have them. No offer to call other locations, no I'm sorry, no nothing! Last business they'll ever get from me.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee View post
    This Bear is olde and in the way. That is a steam shovel in my yard. I listen to records on my Victrola. I enjoy a cold Rolling Rock I grab from my icebox. So there.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    This Bear is olde and in the way. That is a steam shovel in my yard. I listen to records on my Victrola. I enjoy a cold Rolling Rock I grab from my icebox. So there.

Bear
    Those words are in my Funk and Wagnalls, I use them all the time. BTW, I am older than you.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Those words are in my Funk and Wagnalls, I use them all the time. BTW, I am older than you.
    Mike, I already knew you were older. That's why I inserted those ancient references. To give you a warm and fuzzy on a holiday. Heh heh heh....

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Customer service: we can't do that

Wish the so-called help who answers the phone would shut up, listen, stop leaping to conclusions. Twice in as many days I've been stonewalled by "oh, we can't tell you his address/if she really held a membership."

I'm not asking that. It's called a discussion opener. What I started with was, "I know that you can't tell me..." and we don't need to harp on that issue. I want a work-around: I'd like to send the birthday card to your office address and you'll put it in his mailbox. Or I will pay you cash money for a membership renewal.

Oh, and complete with vocal fry galore. Ick.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

A solution!

Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    After just being at the mall on a busy day: Why do people think they are freaking entitled to walk 3, 4, 5, or even 6 abreast down mall walkways? And I'm not just talking about the usual rude teenagers, who have no clue anyone else exists. Families, adult groups of friends, it's so annoying, whether they are walking in the opposing direction and running us off the side, or meandering in front of us at a glacial pace... I was taught to make way for older people, moms with kids, pregnant women, disabled people; apparently in this world, that's gone right out the window. Same crap happens on urban sidewalks (New Orleans, not even in the French Quarter, being one of the worst).

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Dear People of Craigslist:

When I post that I am selling something and that my price is firm ...
    and that I am not interested in trades...
    and that I will only accept cash...

Please refrain from filling up my inbox with "I will take both items for the price of one"
    or "can I trade you my sofa for your surfboards"
    or "where you stay and what time you at work"... yeah because I am definitely going to disclose where I live and what time I am not home to some random person from craigslist who emailed me at 3am.

What happened to the human species anyway?
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post

Please refrain from filling up my inbox with "I will take both items for the price of one"
    or "where you stay and what time you at work"... yeah because I am definitely going to disclose where I live and what time I am not home to some random person from craigslist who emailed me at 3am.

Maybe you were hit by this guy

http://dontevenreply.com/

He is a legend.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    Maybe you were hit by this guy

http://dontevenreply.com/

He is a legend.
    That seriously just made my day!!!
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post

I'm always annoyed when people think that an offer 50% below your asking price is somehow legitimate when they offer cash.
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    This made me smile. "Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel" was my favorite book as a child. I was so glad when I got to share it with my son.

BTW: Mike Mulligan's steam shovel is named Mary Anne.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I don't understand why my son will complain about going to Mass then send me hate text messages when I tell him to heat up a frozen food that has meat in it because I'm late getting home from work.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm wearing my California Bear Flag t-shirt this morning because I'm totally fed up with all the damn rain we've been receiving during the past four weeks here on the Florida panhandle. I need some pool deck time. Shit, every weekend. Now stop telling us we're in a drought!! [/rant off]

And I hate thunder, too. Especially when it's loud, long, and close. It gives me an anxious feeling in my tummy. [/rant off again]
    I think that one of the great signs of security is the ability to just walk away.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    BCBS will try evry excuse in thier heads NOT to pay the insurance claim. I filed 2 dental claims - one in Nov.12 & the other in Dec.12 - for a cleaning and then the crown. Still haven't received the reimbursement. Called customer service and they had denied both claims (and never contacted me or my dentist about the denial). The first was because there was no code for the evaluation for a crown, but there was for the cleaning. The second one was because the code the dentist gave did not maych up with their new code numbers effective Jan.1 '13 - so they labeled it "unspecified/unauthorized procedure"

Both appointments were done in 2012, not 2013 so the new codes were not in effect.

Called my dentist claims person and she said they (and other dentists too) are having multiple problems with BCBS. She is going to refile both claims right after she calls BCBS to get detailed instructions of exactly what they want this time and a contact individual. She joked she needed them on speed dail.

All I want to do is pay a credit card bill from Christmas because I had to use my cash to fix a tooth.

Insurance companies SUCK!
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    *bump*

Planit
    , seeing that it's almost a year later, I hope that your insurance issues were resolved swiftly after your post.

On second thought, I'd be a fool to believe that anybody's insurance company issues are totally resolved because
    Insurance companies SUCK!

My rant:

<Oops, I don't have time to post it- it's almost 11:00 on a Saturday night, gotta go!!>

Moderator note:
    Please don't bump an old thread unless you actually have something to contribute or add to it. Thank you.
    Last edited by kjel; 05 Jan 2014 at 5:53 PM.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. The NEVERENDING FML thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 44
    Last post: 21 Apr 2013, 9:40 PM
  2. The NEVERENDING When You Die Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 24 Oct 2012, 2:33 PM
  3. The NEVERENDING getting old thread