Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Question about GRE score...

Registered
    Apr 2011

Question about GRE score...

I took the GRE for the first time this December at got the following scores: Verbal 156 (72%), Quantitative 164 (91%), and Writing 4.5 (72%). I wouldn't be able to take the test again until February 1st. I was wondering, would it be wise for me to take it again or would I be better off saving the money and time and just use these scores which have already been sent?FYI, I have a 3.4 GPA, a few internships am applying to these schools (app deadlines):

Cal Poly (Feb 1)
    UColorado-Denver (Feb 15)
    UCincinatti (March 1)
    UIllinois-Chicago (March 15)
    Arizona State (Jan 15)

Thanks again for all the info. This forum has been very beneficial during my application process!

Registered
    Jul 2011
    My opinion, your GRE scores are good. There are no red flags in your scores, i'd move on to the most important element(s) of your apps like Statement of Purpose and Letters of Rec.

Good luck!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Personally, I don't see GRE scores as being a reason a school wouldn't pick you. Unless they have "baseline" numbers they require, it won't matter. If you are worried, be sure that you frame your score in a positive light in your personal statement. You scores are not that bad. It is a personal choice, but in this economy, I wouldn't go to a school that requires baseline numbers anyway. Most schools have a sliding scale, dependent on all factors.

If you are truly worried, call up the schools you like and ask to speak to the department head. Tell them you are really interested in their program, have these scores, and wanted to know if you would be a good candidate for their program or not. They will tell you what you need to do to get in. Most program heads understand these types of situations, and have a pretty standard answers.

Good luck.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Personally, I don't see GRE scores as being a reason a school wouldn't pick you. ... but in this economy, I wouldn't go to a school that requires baseline numbers anyway. ...

If you are truly worried, call up the schools you like and ask to speak to the department head. Tell them you are really interested in their program, have these scores, and wanted to know if you would be a good candidate for their program or not. They will tell you what you need to do to get in. Most program heads understand these types of situations, and have a pretty standard answers.

Good luck.

What Hink said.

Speaking of the excellent point of "in this economy":

Quote Originally posted by Badger521 View post
    Cal Poly (Feb 1)
    UCincinatti (March 1)
    Arizona State (Jan 15)
    You didn't ask but nevertheless I'm a westerner so know the western schools, and you may want to ensure whether someone else is footing the bill for DU - Denver is a great town in a wonderful area, but few of us could carry that paper with the resulting salary you'll get in this new economy; and IMHO (no hate mail please) not at the top of the list academically, especially for the price. I spoke at ASU last spring and was very impressed with the program & quality of the student work there, light rail goes to campus, and very attractive students, not sure how I'd handle the blast-furnace heat. Also agonized for weeks whether to go to SLO or my eventual grad school - lots and lots and lots to recommend there.

.02 (worth every penny)
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Jul 2011
    Colo - where did you end up? and what do you say about SLO?

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by aznap518 View post
    Colo - where did you end up? and what do you say about SLO?
    UW (Seattle). SLO town is a little small & isolated for me to reside (altho visited many times) and I wanted out of CA, really the main reason I went north, besides UW program focus (urban ecology, same as one of the profs at SLO). Other than that SLO great school & you'll be well-educated if you go there. Few jobs in vicinity & school projects may require driving to get to them, otherwise bike is all you need if you need to scrimp. Climate could very well be definition of perfection for human comfort and certain nursery plant production, some natural amenities nearby and ocean and mtns reasonable drives, skiing a bit more driving, coast to the north world-class and fine hiking inland in Coast Range and in Sierra. Buddy's younger brother took 6 years to graduate he loved it so much. Wife & I both went to CA schools for undergrad and find our education was very very good.

Maybe some of the CA folks here can elaborate on their impressions of the folks' competence who came out of SLO...
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Huh?

Quote Originally posted by ColoGI View post
    What Hink said.

Speaking of the excellent point of "in this economy":

You didn't ask but nevertheless I'm a westerner so know the western schools, and you may want to ensure whether someone else is footing the bill for DU - Denver is a great town in a wonderful area, but few of us could carry that paper with the resulting salary you'll get in this new economy; and IMHO (no hate mail please) not at the top of the list academically, especially for the price. I spoke at ASU last spring and was very impressed with the program & quality of the student work there, light rail goes to campus, and very attractive students, not sure how I'd handle the blast-furnace heat. Also agonized for weeks whether to go to SLO or my eventual grad school - lots and lots and lots to recommend there.

.02 (worth every penny)
    DU Denver?? Did you mean CU Denver? I think that's what you meant. DU or the University of Denver is private and very expensive, but has wonderful transportation professor in Andrew R. Goetz Professor; Chair Ph.D., The Ohio State University, 1987 Research interests: transportation, urban geography/planning, economic geography.

http://www.du.edu/learn/graduates/de...y/faculty.html

ASU would be an interesting experience considering how much work needs to be done in Phoenix and the surrounding area with regard to planning. Endless opportunities downtown. Denver has the advantage of already having done so many great things since 1993. My plug since I'm one of the University of Colorado, Denver Grads on this forum.
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    DU Denver?? Did you mean CU Denver? I think that's what you meant. DU or the University of Denver is private and very expensive, but has wonderful transportation professor in Andrew R. Goetz Professor; Chair Ph.D., The Ohio State University, 1987 Research interests: transportation, urban geography/planning, economic geography.

My plug since I'm one of the University of Colorado, Denver Grads on this forum.
    Oooh - you're right: apologies. Too much on the brain, and we're taking the kid to see the Pios Saturday in the Springs for xmas present...

I won't elaborate on what the better half has dealt with wrt grad students at CU - she's not happy tho. You know anyone there?
    -------

Registered
    Jul 2009
    BTW, I mentioned upthread I thought ASU was doing interesting work, here is some evidence of that. If I were applying again and was committed to sustainability in my career (and was single & could handle the heat), I'd look hard at ASU.
    -------

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally posted by Badger521 View post
    I took the GRE for the first time this December at got the following scores: Verbal 156 (72%), Quantitative 164 (91%), and Writing 4.5 (72%). I have a 3.4 GPA, a few internships am applying to these schools (app deadlines):

Cal Poly (Feb 1)
    UCincinatti (March 1)
    Arizona State (Jan 15)
    Yeah, these are fine. It's hard to imagine a committee passing on an application solely because of GRE scores, isn't it? Usually, placing above the "preferred" minimums or within/above the middle 50% doesn't really do too much to make a candidate any better than the SOI+GPA+Resume+Recs already did.

Sometimes, I think the only reason the GRE is required is that it's pretty hard to fake GREs. As a result, they can compare the scores to your transcript (also pretty hard to fake), and see if the results make sense. Just a guess, though.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. What is your Cyburbian Score?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 34
    Last post: 17 Dec 2012, 10:59 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 24 Nov 2010, 12:50 PM
  3. Walk Score
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 52
    Last post: 11 Mar 2008, 2:30 PM