Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Year's Eve 2011 / New Year's Day 2012 Plans

Registered
    Nov 2009

New Year's Eve 2011 / New Year's Day 2012 Plans

Does anyone else have exciting New Year's plans this weekend?

MW and I will be having a New Year's Civil Union party! At the stroke of midnight, we will be signing up for our civil union license online! Then, January 3rd we will go down and sign our license and have our certificate authorized by the woman who married us 3.5 years ago. Cake and sparkling cider will be consumed.

2012 is going to be an amazing year!
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Nov 2006
    I have season tix to the Jamestown Ironmen of the NAHL (hockey), so I will be in my usual seat at the rink cheering on my boys on New Year's Eve. I'm not sure if they're planning anything post-game, and if they are, will I stay? If I don't I'll probably be home by 10ish and will probably fall asleep just before the ball drop like I usually do. I live such an exciting life!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    NYE - no specific plans, will likely go to a bar in Downtown Appleton.

NYD - Will spend some quality time in the front row, south end zone at Lambeau Field.

Mike

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    As of now, it sounds like me, my roommate, and another college friend who just moved to the area will be spending the New Year in my apartment. We may invite some other people as well. Probably just a low-key affair of heavy drinking, snacking, and watching TV. We're all very poor, so we probably won't be going out.

It amazes me how expensive some New Year's shindigs are...and even more amazing that people actually pay such high prices. A group I know is hosting a big young professionals networking event in downtown Chicago for NYE, and it costs $150 to get in. Even if I was a millionaire, I wouldn't drop that kind of money just to go to some party and act like a hotshot.

New Year's Day is always such a non-holiday for me. It's just like any other lazy weekend day as far as I'm concerned.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Feb 2004
    My group will be performing at the New Years fest downtown. Looks like Tuba New Year is taking place at 5:30 so I may cross paths with veloise.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I'll be doing my traditional New Year's Eve of a movie on the couch with the wife and hopefully asleep in bed by 12:02 a.m. I've never been a big fan of New Year's Eve parties.

New Year's Day a friend and his wife are having an open house style party from about noon to 8:00 p.m. which I thought was a pretty good idea. Nobody in our house has been feeling real well for the last week+ but hopefully we are able to make it out to that for at least an hour or so. I guess it will all depend on how our daughter is feeling. We also bundle up and go for a walk every New Year's Day regardless of the weather so we will be doing that again too. Luckily, we live within reasonable walking distance of the Detroit area's best pizza place so maybe that will be our lunch plans.

Oh, I'll also be watching the TV for Calvin Johnson to do a Lambeau Leap and hand mgk920 a football!
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Its a Ribfeast & Oyster Roast party at the friends house. I even have a full mason jar of clear liquid to bring this year.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I think we're going to the town next door during the day NYE for some museum/culture time and a walk around town.

Hubby is running a 1/2 marathon NYD, so no wild parties the night before. Not that we do that anymore - we're old married folk now - but it does mean not ringing in the new year at midnight.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920 View post
    NYE - no specific plans, will likely go to a bar in Downtown Appleton.

NYD - Will spend some quality time in the front row, south end zone at Lambeau Field.

Mike
    Cheering the Lions to victory no doubt!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jan 2005
    The plan is to do the first night thing in Boston with the SO, but I may look to scuttle this by pointing out how freakin COLD it will be (she's from FL).

Truth be told, I'm not a big fan of NYE celebrations and dealing with all the drunken idiots.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    BF and I are going to the New Edition concert in Detroit, fun date night!

Registered
    May 2005
    I usually just stay home with the family, eat snacks all night, and open up a cheap bottle of champagne at midnight.

This year, my Marine BIL is getting married to his Marine fiance on New Years Day. New Year's Eve will be a pre-wedding dinner at my MIL's house.

My wife and MIL have been planning the wedding and are ready to go crazy.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner View post
    BF and I are going to the New Edition concert in Detroit, fun date night!
    You should hit up the Bucherest Grill/Park Bar around the corner from the concert for some lamb-based sliders, chicken shawarma, or the schnitzel plate! By far my favorite spot in that area for a beer and inexpensive meal. If you want something a bit more formal, Cliff Bell's is also right there with their shrimp and grits calling your name...
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

First Night events

Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    The plan is to do the first night thing in Boston with the SO, but I may look to scuttle this by pointing out how freakin COLD it will be (she's from FL).

Truth be told, I'm not a big fan of NYE celebrations and dealing with all the drunken idiots.
    Gosh, I would jump at the chance to go to the first First Night! Boston's was the premier, and much of it takes place indoors.

First Nights are a lovely alternative to drunken idiocy and overpriced everything. The ones I've attended (performed at) cost something like $5 in advance, $7 at the door. And there are many doors: church social halls, bank lobbies, vestibule of city hall...

Looking at the First Night USA website, it appears that the economy has taken its toll. My fair state has held FN events in Lansing (long gone), Birmingham (ditto), Port Huron (still happening, not "official"), Cadillac (seems to have ended last year). Also. Ypsilanti (New Year's Jubilee ended several years ago) and Kalamazoo (New Year's Fest still going strong). I would think that signing up with the national effort would put a big crimp in a small event's budget...when I looked into this last, it was something like $1500 (no real benefit, got you added to the website and invited to their annual conference).

My plans depend on a big band gig in Lansing. Whotheheck tries to book performers on Dec 15 for NYEve? The ensemble is short several players ("can you play keyboard?" I was asked) and if I were the bandmaster I would tell the client sorry, we can't do it...or you are getting chamber music or a Dixieland-size group for your 6 - 8 pm event. If that gig is happening, I'll be at a nearby contra dance afterwards. If not, it's Tuba New Year and then a public appearance here in town.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Given my current condition I will not be doing much of anything other than trying to avoid the hospital and perhaps stay up late enough to watch the ball drop on tv. Exciting, I know.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jul 2007
    The BF and I will be doing our traditional getting liquored up at home and watching the NYE coverage on CNN with Anderson Cooper and Kathy Griffin. He hates going out when so many are drinking and driving.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Gosh, I would jump at the chance to go to the first First Night! Boston's was the premier, and much of it takes place indoors.

First Nights are a lovely alternative to drunken idiocy and overpriced everything. The ones I've attended (performed at) cost something like $5 in advance
    Thanks for the link, I should have been more open-minded and checked into it myself.

In my mind I was picturing a Times Square-light type of event with throngs of drunk people pushed up against barriers, a stage with music, some type of ball-dropping thingamajig, lots of confetti, and fireworks.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Home with the kids. Wife is working. Like every year
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    You should hit up the Bucherest Grill/Park Bar around the corner from the concert for some lamb-based sliders, chicken shawarma, or the schnitzel plate! By far my favorite spot in that area for a beer and inexpensive meal. If you want something a bit more formal, Cliff Bell's is also right there with their shrimp and grits calling your name...
    Thanks for the recommendations

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    Cheering the Lions to victory no doubt!
    There were a few instances this season where the TV guys were doing pieces on the resurgence of the Lions (when they were 5-0) and then later on in the season when the subject was how hard it really is for a team to 'run the table' on a season - either way (16-0 and 0-16) where they were showing a Packer fan in the stands holding up a hand-drawn sign that said, in blue ink, "PURRRRRFECT SEASON" with, in very large numbers, "0-16!!" below it.

That fan was me.

(Final game of the 2008 season, Lions at Packers.)

Mike

Registered
    Jan 2006
    The usual, I will play a gig out of town and the wife will be home alone.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Our neighbors are coming over and we're just gonna get liquored up and play some board games and such while watching the ball drop.

New Years Day I'll be headed to the river downtown at noon for the traditional jump into the river with a bunch of other crazy people. A front is supposed to blow in that day, so depending on what the temperature does we might qualify as polar bears.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Dec 2010
    I will be downtown...in a bar...most likely making a fool of myself
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Hosting the neighborhood at my house.
    Getting a keg of macrobrew to go along with the keg of homebrew I have been enjoying.

Everyone else brings snacks.

I will try to stay up past 12.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Out to dinner then to a tavern with 2 other couples. First time I'll be heading out on NYE in over 10 years. The typical NYE for us has always been ordering take out (chinese for me, italian for my wife) and attempting (and usually failing) to stay up until 12.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 92
    Last post: 01 Jan 2014, 1:02 AM
  2. Replies: 77
    Last post: 31 Dec 2005, 7:50 AM
  3. New Year's Eve Plans?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 05 Jan 2005, 5:32 PM
  4. New Year's Greetings