Urban planning community

Closed thread

Thread: Undergraduate in Need of Guidance

Registered
    Dec 2011

Undergraduate in Need of Guidance

Hello!

I just graduated from College!

Skidmore College, to be specific, is a small liberal arts institution located in Saratoga Springs, NY. Despite the fact that the course work was rich and varied, the school did not have a an Urban Studies or Urban Planning program. As a result I majored in American Studies, a broad major, in order to tailer my educational experience to my interest in Urban Studies. Thus I took glasses like Urban Anthropology, Regional Culture of the Hudson River Valley and The History of Social Movements while also taking classes like The Political Wisdom of Shakespeare.

I have now graduated, and I am unsure of how to proceed. Ideally, I would like to be involved with an initiative whose main focus is retrofitting small cities with ideas, resources and institutions to achieve smart growth. This includes promoting dense walk able neighborhoods, urban farming, public transportation, public space and small businesses. Specifically, I would like to be able to work to help coordinate stakeholders, community members, planners, businesses owners and regulators.

Can anyone suggest a good place to begin searching for opportunities that might match this description? Currently, I am living in New York City, but I am open to anything.

In any event, I am glad to have joined Cyburbia!

Regards,

Andrew

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Greetings from the Florida panhandle. Good luck with achieving your goals.
    I think that one of the great signs of security is the ability to just walk away.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Aschrijver View post
    Hello!

I just graduated from College!

Skidmore College, to be specific, is a small liberal arts institution located in Saratoga Springs, NY. Despite the fact that the course work was rich and varied, the school did not have a an Urban Studies or Urban Planning program. As a result I majored in American Studies, a broad major, in order to tailer my educational experience to my interest in Urban Studies. Thus I took glasses like Urban Anthropology, Regional Culture of the Hudson River Valley and The History of Social Movements while also taking classes like The Political Wisdom of Shakespeare.

I have now graduated, and I am unsure of how to proceed. Ideally, I would like to be involved with an initiative whose main focus is retrofitting small cities with ideas, resources and institutions to achieve smart growth. This includes promoting dense walk able neighborhoods, urban farming, public transportation, public space and small businesses. Specifically, I would like to be able to work to help coordinate stakeholders, community members, planners, businesses owners and regulators.

Can anyone suggest a good place to begin searching for opportunities that might match this description? Currently, I am living in New York City, but I am open to anything.

In any event, I am glad to have joined Cyburbia!

Regards,

Andrew
    Welcome, and sounds like you are very interested in planning. I have to ask,though, when you became interested in planning,why you didn't transfer to a school with a planning program? Or are you considering a graduate planning degree? That said, many working planners have backgrounds in related areas such as Economics or Geography. It's not a good market out there right now. You might try non-governmental entities such as non-profits, grant-writing, etc, to get your foot in the door.

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. AICP application - guidance
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 28 Aug 2013, 4:52 PM
  2. Career Guidance
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 27 May 2013, 10:06 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 29 Aug 2012, 10:07 AM