Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: APA National Conference - GET REAL

Registered
    Jan 2006

APA National Conference - GET REAL

I am joining thousands of other planners in wondering if the APA National Conference has jumped the shark. It is insanely expensive and the program is totally confusing. I don't have an issue with it being in LA but good luck getting around without renting a car - - - more expense. I need the CM's but can get them in a number of other places. I am seriously considering going to the Smart Growth Conference in San Diego instead - - - at roughly half the cost.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I've acquired the majority of my CM's from the Florida chapter conferences. Less expensive and more relevant. I'm unlikely to ever attend another national conference.

Off-topic:
    I think APA's Daily Planning News page is rather odd. Duplicate links to the same news stories and links to stories unrelated to planning news. What's up with that?

EDIT: Atlanta in 2014. Maybe.
    Last edited by Richmond Jake; 27 Dec 2011 at 6:31 PM.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    May 2004
    Most cities and counties where I personally know some of the planners have stopped paying for attendance. with all the cutbacks in government budgets I'm surprised there is still a market for it. The last one I went to was years ago but it wasn't very fruitful. Is it possible to jump the shark when there never was a shark?

My recent experiences with the APA has led me to suspect they have outsourced much of their admin staff to India. IMO the APA is a terribly run organization that is no longer very helpful to the profession.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Yah, maybe APA as a whole has jumped. Don't get me wrong I love my fellow state board members; we do good, relevant work serving our fellow members but it is national and its mission (if it has one) that has me miffed.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by TOFB View post
    Yah, maybe APA as a whole has jumped. Don't get me wrong I love my fellow state board members; we do good, relevant work serving our fellow members but it is national and its mission (if it has one) that has me miffed.
    APA's new mission statement: "We're arrogant and don't care about you, unless we can exploit you"
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Don't get me wrong I love my fellow state board members; we do good, relevant work serving our fellow members but it is national and its mission (if it has one) that has me miffed.
    You aren't the only state board having misgivings about APA National. There is significant need for real, meaningful change at the top of APA National--the board of directors, executive administration, everything. I feel like the organization has become inbred and needs new blood.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    You aren't the only state board having misgivings about APA National. There is significant need for real, meaningful change at the top of APA National--the board of directors, executive administration, everything. I feel like the organization has become inbred and needs new blood.
    Amen. APA and AICP could stand to go through the same sort of cost-cutting that most of our members have experienced in their work. There are many inefficiencies, bloated salaries, and uneccessary programs. The problem I see is that the typical planner cannot afford membership and their employer does not pay, either because they are at too low a level within the organization (the director may get the perk but they do not) or the organization is so small that it does not have the budget for $300-ish for APA, $200-ish for AICP, and $2000 for an annual conference.

OK, I have said this before. Rant over.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I went to the Minneapolis conference and I thought it to be very informative. I would not have gone if I didn't have a poster session or got the student cheapo rate. Unless there is a national conference in my region I most likely will not be attending any time in the near future. As I really don't require AICP for my job there's no point in paying the ransom for it plus the CM requirements. The local chapter puts on a good two day conference that's very relevant to NJ and my organization is a charter member of NeighborWorks so I have a huge array of classes and regional training institutes that I can attend with all travel costs included for $400.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I've been pricing it out and I'm not sure. I have my staff to think about and conferences they need to go to, so it comes down to money. I enjoyed Vegas, Minneapolis and NOLA. 2013 is Chicago and I am defintely going to that one. Since I serve on the Board for the state chapter, I have to-and want to- attend our state conferences, so I have to figure in that in as well.
    Last edited by Whose Yur Planner; 28 Dec 2011 at 1:59 PM.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Not going - cost.
    Have been to only 4 national conferences since 1989.

brochure is in the recycling pile already.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Depending on what happens, I hope to go to the 2013 conference in Chicago. It would be my first. It seems like a no-brainer since I live in the Chicago metropolitan area, but if it was in Chicago in 2012 instead, I probably wouldn't go because my financial situation is that bad right now, where I wouldn't be able to afford the conference itself, even despite not having to pay travel/lodging costs. I hope to be in much better shape by 2013...and maybe will actually be a planner, rather than in an allied field.

I enjoy traveling, but even if I was well-off, I can't justify the costs of attending the national conference every year.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Not going - cost.
    Have been to only 4 national conferences since 1989.

brochure is in the recycling pile already.
    Ha, JNA. I worked in one jurisdiction for 8 yrs that never sent anyone to National or state; then 7 yrs for one where the director just took her best two buddies to National every year. Every damn year. State, we had to buy one "badge" when it was local, and "share" it among multiple planners. At least you got to go to 4. I got to tag along with RJ in San Antonio, not as a paid attendee, of course, but as an unscheduled occupant in his room.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Not going - cost.
    Have been to only 4 national conferences since 1989................
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    ........ I got to tag along with RJ in San Antonio, not as a paid attendee, of course, but as an unscheduled occupant in his room.
    But a couple of great Laefeasts at each location. Well, one with each of you.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Ha, JNA. I worked in one jurisdiction for 8 yrs that never sent anyone to National or state; then 7 yrs for one where the director just took her best two buddies to National every year. Every damn year. State, we had to buy one "badge" when it was local, and "share" it among multiple planners. At least you got to go to 4. I got to tag along with RJ in San Antonio, not as a paid attendee, of course, but as an unscheduled occupant in his room.
    Well one I worked as a student & living there already, 2 of them I stayed with family and friend, and only 1 did I pay for a hotel.
    3 Registrations and travel were out of my own pocket, I got to go on the clock though.
    Only 1 since CM became required.
    Oddball

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Well one I worked as a student & living there already, 2 of them I stayed with family and friend, and only 1 did I pay for a hotel.
    3 Registrations and travel were out of my own pocket, I got to go on the clock though.
    Only 1 since CM became required.
    I guess I "assumed"; y'know, you said you'd been to 4 so I assumed an employer had paid for it. Being from FL, chances I could stay with family for Nat APA are nil.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Those that attended the Philly Laefest - remember I was cheap - I only drank water.
    Oddball

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Those that attended the Philly Laefest - remember I was cheap - I only drank water.
    How would we know? The only person who took photos, "lost" them!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I am going. Although I am pretty disappointed about the organization of the events and the setup...

Anyone else going? Or is it just going to be me?
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Not a chance on going. I get questioned about going to state conference, but get to go for CMs.

For grins & giggles I just priced the conference and included a couple moble workshops and a training session - grant total was $1600 (without airfare, hotel or meals).

Have fun hinkster...send us a postcard.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Anyone else going? Or is it just going to be me?
    Not a chance in hell I'll be going.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    APA Conference - 3 1/2 days - priced out at about $2200

Smart Growth Conference in San Diego - 3 days - $1321

Registered
    Jan 2005
    APA Conference - 3 1/2 days - priced out at about $2200

Smart Growth Conference in San Diego - 3 days - $1321
    MUCH easier to get around in San Diego, so factor that in as well.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Guess the APA forgot the PacNW exisits...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    There will be no way that I am going to attend APA-LA. I just paid my dues for the first time as an independent business owner and was floored. My wife who helps to save peoples lives as an heart center operating room nurse only paid 1/4 of that to maintain her licence.

Our local chapter does great things but I sometimes question the abilities of the national chapter.

Does the value of the national conference justify the cost?
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Definitely not going-but looking at the program---anyone see page 16 and the photo? Doesn't it look like it was taken in 1987 with the women's hair at the front table and a lady on the right side with shoulder pads and a Dorothy Hamil hair cut
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 11 Apr 2012, 12:43 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 10 Feb 2009, 4:13 PM
  3. National Main Street Conference
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 24 Nov 2008, 12:46 PM