Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: To plan or not to plan, that is the question

Registered
    Jul 2002

To plan or not to plan, that is the question

I'm fixing to retire January 31 and I haven't fully decided what to do with my extra time. I plan to do more fishing and going on road trips but the question always arises from others "Are you going to do any planning work?" I wouldn't mind doing some part time GIS stuff, but doing comp plans and zoning revisions doesn't appeal to me...at all. Plus there is the AICP issue. I can't see putting up the 3 bills for that, for what? What sayeth the Cyburbia geezers?
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Tom R View post
    I'm fixing to retire January 31 and I haven't fully decided what to do with my extra time. I plan to do more fishing and going on road trips but the question always arises from others "Are you going to do any planning work?" I wouldn't mind doing some part time GIS stuff, but doing comp plans and zoning revisions doesn't appeal to me...at all. Plus there is the AICP issue. I can't see putting up the 3 bills for that, for what? What sayeth the Cyburbia geezers?
    I'm four years from retirement, and I'm sticking it out (I could retire in January at 62) so that I won't have to work unless I want to -- those extra four years will add more than $10,000 a year to my retirement income -- and I don't think I want to. My plan, if I stay as healthy as I am now, is to move to my land in the country and have a house built there. I would operate a part time perennial plant business and keep a bunch of critters of the canine, feline, and equine variety. I'd be the eccentric old bat in jeans, floppy strawhat, and barn boots selling plants or riding/driving her horse down the road.

I'm a creative person at heart, so I would invest in a quilting machine and sew, piece and quilt to my heart's consent when it was too cold to garden. I might also attempt to write "the great American novel". Of course, keeping crits and gardens maintained would keep me very busy, but I would still join or become more active in several social/religious/community groups. Even someone like me who is pretty good at entertaining herself can't have too many friends and contact with younger people keeps you from becoming an old fart. Since I've already mastered the art of sitting on the backporch snoozing on hot summer afternoons, I should add that to my list of retirement goals, too.

I think that many people who have all their retirement financial ducks in a row frequently don't get their retirement social/lifestyle ducks in a similar row. You need to have hobbies or passions to fill the hours you used to work -- and at least some of those hobbies shouldn't cost lots of money so you can always do them even if your financial circumstances in retirement are limited.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Local zoning board?

For several years I presented wireless applications all over the state, and it always seemed that the planning commissioners/BZA members were retirees, some with extensive credentials and experience (former department heads or professors).

When my folks retired from psychiatry, they used the opportunity of CME credits to travel to exotic locations and get a tax write-off. Not suggesting that AICP is worth keeping just for that...

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Three Useful Items I Found on the APA site:

CM Requirement for Retired Members

Retired members are exempt from Certification Maintenance requirements. Retired members are defined as those who have been an APA or AICP member continuously for 10 or more years, who are 65 or older, retired from profession-related employment, and who are not working full-time for any other employer. This excludes part time non-planning or nonprofessional work. If you meet these criteria then you do not need to apply for an exemption.

Planners who do not meet the above criteria or who are practicing part time (and who use the AICP credential in their work) will be required to meet the full obligations of Certification Maintenance, unless granted one of the exemptions described at www.planning.org/cm/exemptions.htm.

Please note: If you are currently paying dues at the life member rate and you meet the criteria above for retired status, then you qualify for this exemption. If you are paying dues at the life member rate and do not meet the criteria, then you must meet CM requirements.

APA Life Membership Conversion

To be an APA Life member, you must be 65 or older and have been an active (current and continuous) member of APA for the past 25 years or more.

Members who wish to apply for this status should call 312-431-9100 or e-mail customerservice@planning.org. Subject to APA staff approval.

Life member rates: APA $50, Chapter $10, and AICP (if applicable) $15. All publication and division fees are at standard price.

APA Retired Member Conversion

Retired members are those who:
    • are a member of APA or AICP (current and continuous for 10 or more years);
    • are 65 or older; and
    • are retired from profession-related employment and not working full-time for any other employer, excluding part time non-planning or nonprofessional work.
    • Members who wish to apply for this status should call 312-431-9100 or e-mail customerservice@planning.org. Subject to APA staff approval.

Retirement rates: APA dues $75, Chapter dues $10, AICP (if applicable) $25. All publications and divisions fees are at standard price.

Serving on a volunteer board, such as a zoning board, planning commission, etc. for a city, does not impact eligibility for life/retirement rates. I also think that if you are doing GIS exclusively & part-time you should be fine. On that last one I'd ask APA customer service, because I'm not 100% confident about them allowing you to still fly a GIS chair part-time with your AICP credential at the retirement rate.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Linda_D View post

My plan, if I stay as healthy as I am now, is to move to my land in the country and have a house built there. I would operate a part time perennial plant business and keep a bunch of critters of the canine, feline, and equine variety. I'd be the eccentric old bat in jeans, floppy strawhat, and barn boots selling plants or riding/driving her horse down the road.
    The big question is...Do you like to fish? Jamestown isn't that far from here. I remember getting some excellent cheese in the Jamestown area. They called it new York Sharp. YUM
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Dec 2009

Do anything that will pay 10% of your $2 million major surgery in the year 2022.

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Tom R View post
    The big question is...Do you like to fish? Jamestown isn't that far from here. I remember getting some excellent cheese in the Jamestown area. They called it new York Sharp. YUM
    I'm not opposed to fishing, but I'm a curse. When I go fishing , neither I nor the people with me catch anything except maybe a cold. People in the next boat or just up or down stream fill their day limits, but not our party. It's not that I chatter or anything ... it's just that the fish disappear when I'm around. I have bad fishing karma apparently.

The cheese is probably cheddar from the Cuba Cheese Factory in Cuba, NY, about 80-100 miles east of Jamestown. It's found in lots of stores around WNY, especially specialty/gourmet food shops.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 19 Aug 2011, 1:38 PM
  2. Site plan review question
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 14 Jul 2010, 7:35 PM
  3. Replies: 18
    Last post: 26 Feb 2010, 10:59 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last post: 17 Jun 2009, 10:02 AM