Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 105 of 374 FirstFirst ... 95 104 105 106 115 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,625 of 9327

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

The Glass Is Calf Full

I have great-looking calves. Just sayin'.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    I have great-looking calves. Just sayin'.

Bear
    Slaughter 'em. Great calves make for great veal. Just sayin'.

EDIT: Happy Father's Day, everybody.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I just can't understand why everyone is getting on this young man's case. Okay he cheated on his wife - that's hardly newsworthy. They had been married by all accounts for over an hour, so he probably was bored with the relationship.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I just can't understand why everyone is getting on this young man's case. Okay he cheated on his wife - that's hardly newsworthy. They had been married by all accounts for over an hour, so he probably was bored with the relationship.
    Well doesn't that belong in the The douchebag discussion subforum ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    That reminds me of an old story, true or not, where a groom attached an envelop with a secretly-taken photo of his best man and his bride being 'caught in the act' and, during the toasts, asked everyone at the reception to reach under their chairs....

Mike

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Clearly he was trying to get in another practice round before the big night.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    At least Planning wasn't mentioned.

HEADLINE: Five Graduate Degrees That Don't Pay Off
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Five Indian spammers registering in a row.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    This one's for Zoning Goddess.

So, yesterday, I see a woman leaving the coffee shop I'm in. I remember writing to her on Match early last year, she never wrote back. Educated, early 40s, full head of gray hair, as one might expect here. She's with another man who appears to be in his 40s, also with a full head of gray. They cross the street, and climb into ... a beat-up Volvo 240. I understood. I wasn't "local" enough.

At least the dude wasn't a tall, lanky guy with a beard and ponytail. That would have been the perfect local couple.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Has anyone tried the HomeSnap app? It is pretty crazy....
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I may have to try that out. When I am out running or for a walk and see some huge and/or really nice house I am usually pretty nosy about it. I want to check that out to see how well it works.
    I tested out that HomeSnap app and came away with some pretty mixed results.

I tried it on 5 houses on my street and on 4 of them, it came back with a value I imagine them to be worth if they were to sell right now. On the other house, it came back with a value of 5x what it sold for just about 6 weeks ago. This is a house that had sat empty for at least 4 years and is very likely going to be a complete tear down before the end of the summer. I also tried it on a bunch of houses closer to downtown and the values reported by the app were all over the place. One house, that is surrounded for blocks by million dollar homes came up with a value of about $300k (the only thing I can think of was that the age of the house was maybe throwing off the app since the particular house was about 120 years old). Another house, that is currently for sale for $1.25 million came up with a value of $250k... I think I'm calling my Realtor today to put in an offer base on the HomeSnap value!
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jan 2005
    If any of your Michiganders were to rent a cabin on a Lake in Michigan, where would you do it, and where would you look for such rentals?
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Actually, this is why Michigan is going to hell.

Registered
    May 2005
    If any of your Michiganders were to rent a cabin on a Lake in Michigan, where would you do it, and where would you look for such rentals?
    Just got back from a weekend on Secord Lake, just north of Gladwin, Michigan. My wife's aunt and uncle own a cottage up there, so I don't really know about rentals. But Secord Lake is an awesome inland lake.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I like the big lakes so I would probably go towards Lake Michigan. If you don't want to pay the price to be directly on the lake, just being within walking distance would probably suffice since there are plenty of nice sandy beaches all up and down the lake. I like the city of Ludington since there is a nice little selection restaurants downtown, a good beach, and you are only 20 minutes away from Silver Lake State Park and its sand dunes to the south or Ludington State Park and Manistee National Forest to the north. Further north, Traverse City is nice too and you are close to Sleeping Bear Dunes.

I've heard good things about Grand Haven, Saugatuck, and Charlevoix as well.

Or you can come support my local economy and spend your vacation dollars in Southeast Michigan. We have some nice inland lakes in Oakland County and you will still be near civilization. It looks like there are a few rentals listed in the link below on Cass Lake in West Bloomfield. Cass Lake is one of the largest in Metro Detroit (besides Lake St. Clair, Lake Erie, or Lake Huron of course) and the area surrounding it is pretty nice (if I am thinking of the correct lake).

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/michigan
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Just getting ready to head off to three of our wonderful state parks. I recommend staying at a cabin at a state park. You can read about them (and make reservations) here:

http://michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153...6551--,00.html
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Somebody in the administrative division dropped the ball on filing the continuing property tax exemption forms on the various properties we hold. Guess who gets to sort out the mess? Why? Because I am apparently "good at that sort of thing". Did I mention that I have to make it from Newark to JFK by 5pm today?
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    Somebody in the administrative division dropped the ball on filing the continuing property tax exemption forms on the various properties we hold. Guess who gets to sort out the mess? Why? Because I am apparently "good at that sort of thing". Did I mention that I have to make it from Newark to JFK by 5pm today?
    Don't fret. You will be on the left coast in no time to be greeting by the man in union square asking people to stop supporting "sloppy seconds"..i.e. sex before marriage
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    May 2004
    Reading the local editorials. Did you know that my coworkers and I are using mind control techniques developed by both the RAND corporation and Saul Alinksy to make people think the community vision within our general plan update is the community's idea when it is actually the idea of the communists at the UN as part of UN Agenda 21. We actually even have the nerve to suggest policies that would increase access to child care and reproductive services which is straight code for forced sterilizations and abortions. It's already happened in China. Wake up people!!
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    Reading the local editorials. Did you know that my coworkers and I are using mind control techniques developed by both the RAND corporation and Saul Alinksy to make people think the community vision within our general plan update is the community's idea when it is actually the idea of the communists at the UN as part of UN Agenda 21. We actually even have the nerve to suggest policies that would increase access to child care and reproductive services which is straight code for forced sterilizations and abortions. It's already happened in China. Wake up people!!
    I always thought there was a little something off about you
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I walked outside at lunchtime and looked west and could see some heavy, dark clouds coming in. I could hear the thunder and see the lightening off in the distance. I then looked east at my Jeep sitting in the parking lot with not top, windows, or doors and thought of driving home to put those items on and eat there before coming back to work. But my coupon for a free meal at Panera and my belief that I could make it there and back before the rain really started coming down won out. So off to Panera I went. Alas, I was wrong in my estimation of the time/rain and I sit here at my desk soaking wet.

Summer is officially here in my book now and I am sure it will happen to me a few more times before the season is over.

Edit:
    I forgot there is a "Neverending Weather Thread" so if a mod wants to move this there, have at it: http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showt...Thread/page116

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    OMG. I have a meeting coming up which is likely to have at least a handful of people who believe this sort of thing.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Going through some old images in preparing for a comp plan presentation, and found this.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    My eight year old, up to recently, has said she wants to be a nurse of a firefighter when she grows up. The other day she tells me she wants to be a City Manager, and I said what?! where did that come from. She said "Because I'm going to run this town!". After I got done laughing I tried to tell her it was the planners that did that but she wouldn't believe me.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Going through some old images in preparing for a comp plan presentation, and found this.

Interesting, gas below $2... let's go with 2001? I think gas will go below $3 this summer (as Clark Howard points out), but $2 is just crazy talk.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Interesting, gas below $2... let's go with 2001? I think gas will go below $3 this summer (as Clark Howard points out), but $2 is just crazy talk.
    I remember paying about $2/gal in Dec '08/Jan '09.

Yep. http://gasbuddy.com/gb_retail_price_chart.aspx
    Plug in your area and choose 5 year average.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Closed thread
Page 105 of 374 FirstFirst ... 95 104 105 106 115 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 01 Jan 2014, 12:58 AM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 01 Jan 2012, 12:53 AM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 01 Jan 2009, 12:43 AM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 7:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141