Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 109 of 374 FirstFirst ... 99 108 109 110 119 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,725 of 9327

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Want to start an instant argument with your spouse or significant other? Announce that you're going to be out-of-town for work on the 4th of July.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I thought bagels would make the week end better... not sure that is the case.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    We may be visiting Naples FL in Sept. I haven't been there since I was a little kid. There is not one good website for the area; odd, since it's pretty high end. I have found more interactive/informative websites from small towns in Georgia.
    My in-laws live in Naples in the winter and this past January/February was my first time going down there to visit them and I noticed the same thing while trying to look up stuff to do with my wife and daughter before the trip. Sadly, just zooming in real close on Google Maps and looking at the names of businesses and attractions was more helpful.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    I thought bagels would make the week end better... not sure that is the case.
    All depends on
    what flavor they are, toasted or not, with butter or cream cheese or some other spread, with lox (only on certain flavors - wheat, rye, or onion)
    and
    do you have coffee too ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2005
    We may be visiting Naples FL in Sept. I haven't been there since I was a little kid. There is not one good website for the area; odd, since it's pretty high end. I have found more interactive/informative websites from small towns in Georgia.
    Did you check out Tripadvisor? The city-specific forums often have useful information.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    All depends on
    what flavor they are, toasted or not, with butter or cream cheese or some other spread, with lox (only on certain flavors - wheat, rye, or onion)
    and
    do you have coffee too ?
    Lox also goes great on salt bagels (that's what I had for breakfast today as a matter of fact).
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

The (Louisville) Courier-Journal has recently gone behind a paywall and my wife (something of a Luddite) has not established our account, so I had some trepidation about finding an iPad Case with keyboard they had written about last weekend (and, alas, I'd forgotten to snip the article and had taken the papers off for recycling). On a hunch, I decided to do a Google search and sure enough, there was the article. I wonder if advertisers and others featured in articles might have had some say in that sort of thing? A sort of 'paywall your proprietary stuff all you want, but make ads available free' sort of demand. Has anyone else dealing with paywalls encountered this?
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    Want to start an instant argument with your spouse or significant other? Announce that you're going to be out-of-town for work on the 4th of July.
    Or (though maybe not for work) on New Year's Eve.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    Meh. No big deal here. But then again, I am super-awesome and super-understanding.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Tin City. The beach. 3rd Street shops. That is pretty much it. Golf is everywhere if that is your scene. My wife's family has a condo there so we go about once a year.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Dec 2008
    "How would you like a nice, greasy, pork sandwich - served in a dirty ash tray?"

This keeps running through my mind....and making me oddly hungry.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Tin City. The beach. 3rd Street shops. That is pretty much it. Golf is everywhere if that is your scene. My wife's family has a condo there so we go about once a year.
    Which stretch of beach would you recommend? We'd be staying at the Waldorf-Astoria. Apparently the beach access there is via a mile-long boardwalk which would be a brutal walk in Sept with beach gear. There is a tram shared by the hotel and a public lot, but the hotel comments include a lot of complaints of long waits. We figured we could drive somewhere else since we'll have to drive anywhere in town anyway.

Dandy, I had never noticed the city-specific forms on Trip Advisor! And yes, I did see some good info. Thanks.

On an unrelated note: How come when we're not expecting a package via FedEx, they're always in the neighborhood before noon, but when RJ is expecting a wine shipment that I have to sign for, it's almost 3 p.m. and no FedEx? I've been sitting in the dining room for 6 hours. Our luck, they delivered it to the cretin with a similar address a block over...

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    APA is now advertising on the other blue site? That's just wrong. Totally wrong.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Copied from another thread
    Quote Originally posted by chocolatechip View post
    Okay, I'm not sure what the hell this thread is about anymore. I thought I was the malcontent shit-stirrer around here!
    Sometimes a reoccurring thought. Sorry you are not, there are several others here.
    Oddball

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Which stretch of beach would you recommend? We'd be staying at the Waldorf-Astoria. Apparently the beach access there is via a mile-long boardwalk which would be a brutal walk in Sept with beach gear. There is a tram shared by the hotel and a public lot, but the hotel comments include a lot of complaints of long waits. We figured we could drive somewhere else since we'll have to drive anywhere in town anyway.
    Near the Pier (12th street or so I think) is always nice, but pretty busy. Personally, I like the beaches near Marco Island better, but that is more touristy if that is possible, and a bit more of a drive.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    This going to be excellent eating weekend. RJ picked up a tri-tip for tonight and baby backs for tomorrow night. All I have to do is an easy side dish or two.

I just hope the rain stops!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I don't see it as being a big problem in not wearing underwear on the weekend unless you're meeting the Queen of England, at your mother's house, attending a public hearing, visiting the international space station, or meeting a Cyburbian for the first time. But that's just may standards.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Well, we are having the typical dicussion about me and living here: "OMG, I can't live the rest of my life in this crappy little town" and other things related to jobs, quality of life and retirement, and I'm fighting a losing battle.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Geez, I can't do a damn thing right. Decent house. Pool. Hot tub. Good neighborhood. Minutes from beautiful beaches. Yep, can't do a damn thing right. OK, so we have issues with the damn white tile floors... Maybe I should move back to the left coast.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Tired Bear, me. Covering for vacationing supervisors so long hours (at the office at 5:30 AM) are the daily meal. Gonna take it easy today 'cause I have two more days to cover.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Why does the local rag have to post the salaries of public employees? And my salary is wrong!! I haven't received a raise; in fact, my gross salary has decreased because I'm contributing more to my insurance and retirement. Must resist sending a comment to the asscap reporter.....

I have an insect bit on the upper side of my left buttocks. ZG has refused to apply lotion. I'm stunned, considering my performance this morning.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    Why does the local rag have to post the salaries of public employees? And my salary is wrong!! I haven't received a raise; in fact, my gross salary has decreased because I'm contributing more to my insurance and retirement. Must resist sending a comment to the asscap reporter.....
    One time my "salary" published the paper included the whole package without explanation. Insurance, retirement, social security, yada, yada. That raised a few eyebrows. I get more ticked when the meager pay of support staff are publlicized.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    My generally cheer sunshine and llolipops attitude has really soured in the past few months and apparent from my posts on this site lately. Sorry folks, maybe the public sector is turning me into a curmudgeon. . More crack please.. lol
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    My generally cheer sunshine and llolipops attitude has really soured in the past few months and apparent from my posts on this site lately. Sorry folks, maybe the public sector is turning me into a curmudgeon. . More ______ please.. lol
    Don't you mean more Kool Aid or

you just might need to go to Tommy's Holiday Camp
    Oddball

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I wanted to try making some homemade baked beans for lunch yesterday. So I soaked the dried navy beans over Saturday night and early early Sunday morning I threw them in the slow cooker with some beer, molasses, bacon, an onion, water, and a few other items. My daughter woke up so I decided to take her on a long walk to waste the morning so we walked to every park in town. We got back to the house at about 12:30 and I was looking forward to putting her down for her nap and making a couple bratwursts and my baked beans. I walk in the house and smell nothing... hmmm. I walk around to the kitchen and see that I had turned the cooker only to "warm" and not to "high". D'oh!

Oh well. I turned the heat up and they were ready for a late dinner. They were delicious. I had another serving with my breakfast and brought in a big dish of them to go with my lunch at work today.

Closed thread
Page 109 of 374 FirstFirst ... 99 108 109 110 119 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 31 Dec 2011, 11:53 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141