Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 114 of 374 FirstFirst ... 104 113 114 115 124 ... LastLast
Results 2,826 to 2,850 of 9327

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Registered
    May 2005
    I never understood, and feel horribly sorry for, people who have trouble sleeping. It must suck..........................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Next week is July. That can't be right....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Usually everyone hopes a day off falls on a Monday or Friday so a 3 day weekend can be had, but I think there's something to be said for Wednesday holidays. You sorta work two 'mini-weeks' and it seems to render a slightly festive feeling all week long, as one is either happily anticipating time off or basking in a restful state after having time off.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Usually everyone hopes a day off falls on a Monday or Friday so a 3 day weekend can be had, but I think there's something to be said for Wednesday holidays. You sorta work two 'mini-weeks' and it seems to render a slightly festive feeling all week long, as one is either happily anticipating time off or basking in a restful state after having time off.
    Good point. While I would prefer a 3-day weekend. Having a day off in the middle of the week is a nice change up.

My wife and I are taking the girls to see Wicked on Tuesday night in East Lansing. My wife saw it in Chicago a few years ago. We're a little worried about our 6 year old sitting through it, but she loves to sing and dance so we're hoping she'll be okay. Plus she can always play on my phone if she gets bored
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I have 999 contacts on LinkedIn as of today - I don't know whether to puff up or feel embarrassed...

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Good point. While I would prefer a 3-day weekend. Having a day off in the middle of the week is a nice change up.

My wife and I are taking the girls to see Wicked on Tuesday night in East Lansing. My wife saw it in Chicago a few years ago. We're a little worried about our 6 year old sitting through it, but she loves to sing and dance so we're hoping she'll be okay. Plus she can always play on my phone if she gets bored
    Is it the off-broadway show? It came through my neck of the woods and the wife and I saw it. I am sure your daughter will love it.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I kinda wish I could spend the morning in my jammies drinking orange Hi-C and watching Captain Kangaroo. I miss Captain Kangaroo, Mr. Green Jeans, Dancing Bear, Bunny Rabbit, Mr. Baxter, Grandfather Clock.....
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I kinda wish I could spend the morning in my jammies drinking orange Hi-C and watching Captain Kangaroo. I miss Captain Kangaroo, Mr. Green Jeans, Dancing Bear, Bunny Rabbit, Mr. Baxter, Grandfather Clock.....
    What about Mr. Moose? I can only assume that there is some dark mystery as to his absence from the list.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    What about Mr. Moose? I can only assume that there is some dark mystery as to his absence from the list.
    There was always something kind of....unsavory where Mr. Moose was concerned......

Speaking of unsavory, I just realized that Pee Wee's Playhouse was a clever parody of Captain Kangaroo. Something probably entirely lost on the kids.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    All this talk is reminding me of my ice cream store days. Still looking for planning work, had only my first daughter and she was just 3 years old that summer. Watched "Lamb Chop" every morning religiously about the time I headed for work.

When I got my first planning gig that fall and was heading out the front door on my first day she stopped me and said (and I quote):

"Hey Daddy...if they call you a dummy, just come home, OK?"

I will never forget that little face as long as I live and as old as she gets.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    All this talk is reminding me of my ice cream store days. Still looking for planning work, had only my first daughter and she was just 3 years old that summer. Watched "Lamb Chop" every morning religiously about the time I headed for work.

When I got my first planning gig that fall and was heading out the front door on my first day she stopped me and said (and I quote):

My God, Ursus, that is so sweet!!! Hold on to that one.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

Holy crap - don't make me cry at work!

Registered
    May 2005

So, if I call you "dummy" today, will you get to go home?! I'm a big fan of three day weekends, so, you know, if I can assist, just let me know!
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I just ordered the two cheeseburger value meal at McDonalds and asked the young lady working the drive-thru window for some salt and ketchup. I get home and see she gave me 4 packets of salt and 9 packets of ketchup. I'm wondering whether the generosity was owing to 1) a new corporate policy 2) sheer laziness by grabbing a handfuls of condiments without gauging reasonable quantities, or 3) some reason vaguely associated with reproductive impulses?

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I just ordered the two cheeseburger value meal at McDonalds and asked the young lady working the drive-thru window for some salt and ketchup. I get home and see she gave me 4 packets of salt and 9 packets of ketchup. I'm wondering whether the generosity was owing to 1) a new corporate policy 2) sheer laziness by grabbing a handfuls of condiments without gauging reasonable quantities, or 3) some reason vaguely associated with reproductive impulses?
    Laziness. In my GM days at McD's and Jack in the Box I used to tell my employees how much ketchup to give and then when asked for more how much would they like. For ketchup packet cost it's 1 cent apiece with 5K coming in a case. Average customer count per day was 1,000-1,500. You do the math on how that adds up. Fast food is the penny business, not the dollar business like most people think it is.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2004
    It's not referred to as McDiabetes for nothing you know.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    Laziness.
    .....And not reason #3?
    Boy, you sure know how to shatter a guy's dreams.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    How come they say guys with a gut have a 'beer belly' as if beer alone were responsible and women don't have a single-source equivalent? I mean you don't hear people saying "looks like she's got a 'cupcake butt'".
    Just sayin'

(and for the record I do not have a 'beer belly', I have 'six pack abs')
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    What about muffin tops? I thought women acquired those by eating too many muffins.
    I forgot about that, but isn't that more a commentary on how certain women's figures resemble the shape of a muffin, than being the result of consuming muffins per se? Not sure it's quite the same thing.
    This morning before work I stopped in town for coffee and a bagel. I was parked at a meter in front of a store and playing with my telephone. A woman in her late 20s or early 30s walked into the store I was in front of and came out about 2 minutes later carrying two large boxes. The woman was not unattractive but had a very pronounced "muffin top". What was the name of the store she was coming out of you ask, "The Cupcake Station" of course.

Now I'm not saying that those two boxes of cupcakes or muffins were all for her, but I'm also not saying they weren't either.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    First public meeting for our draft comp plan last night. It went surprisingly well. I'm stoked, actually.

Playing hooky this afternoon, as is everybody else. I'm in a bar down the street, enjoying a burger and a Roosterfish Summer Sky.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    First public meeting for our draft comp plan last night. It went surprisingly well. I'm stoked, actually.

Playing hooky this afternoon, as is everybody else. I'm in a bar down the street, enjoying a burger and a Roosterfish Summer Sky.
    Curse you! But well deserved! Celebrate the victories, my friend! They are too few and far between...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    May 2005
    Sliced my thumb open last night with a knife trying to open a plastic tie. I was not being as careful as I should. I've never bled that much before and was sure I needed stitches. Ended up being a fairly shallow slice into my thumb, so I only need some skin glue. I am still surprised that it didn't need stiches given the amount of blood that was gushing from the wound. I guess this must be common with finger wounds? I then got a tetanus shot beause it had been at least 12+ years since I had one. My shoulder is actually more sore from the shot than my thumb.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Sliced my thumb open last night with a knife trying to open a plastic tie... I then got a tetanus shot beause it had been at least 12+ years since I had one. My shoulder is actually more sore from the shot than my thumb.
    Sounds like it's time for some better knives.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

<Slice> I then got a tetanus shot beause it had been at least 12+ years since I had one. My shoulder is actually more sore from the shot than my thumb.
    Yup, Tetanus shots are nasty painful. The stiffness lingers for a few days, too. Glad it wasn't worse, though.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Aug 2005
    36 minutes until the weekend and I have a horrid headache. <insert vice grip smilie>

Maybe a picture of a baby skunk will help:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DXRTy7Pq1p7j050p2QlpIiR4o1_5001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	4939

SQUEEE!!! *head explodes*

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    36 minutes until the weekend and I have a horrid headache. <insert vice grip smilie>

Maybe a picture of a baby skunk will help:

Attachment 4939

SQUEEE!!! *head explodes*
    I have a horrible headache too, but I have two fun (indoor) things to do when I get home, so I'll muddle through. Google plus hangout video chat with my best girls and watching the T&F olympic trials tonight where my friend from HS is running for a spot on the team USA (what? no American Flag emoticon?)
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Closed thread
Page 114 of 374 FirstFirst ... 104 113 114 115 124 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 31 Dec 2011, 11:53 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM