Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 115 of 374 FirstFirst ... 105 114 115 116 125 ... LastLast
Results 2,851 to 2,875 of 9327

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Just used a business's facebook page to refute a rumor that the business closed because of a code enforcement action. The business had posted that they were closing temporarily because the air conditioning had broken, resulting in high temperatures indoors in excess of 105 degrees (old, drafty historic building). Took a screenshot and sent it to the city manager and economic development director.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    I have a horrible headache too, but I have two fun (indoor) things to do when I get home, so I'll muddle through. Google plus hangout video chat with my best girls and watching the T&F olympic trials tonight where my friend from HS is running for a spot on the team USA (what? no American Flag emoticon?)
    Good luck to your friend! Our HR director's niece, Molly Huddle, qualified for the 5000m last night. Hubby begrudgingly watched the race with me grumbling about how it was almost as boring as NASCAR but without the crashes. Molly and the other runners made it worth the watch when in the last 400m the runner in the lead ran out of gas and ended up in 4th place by a matter of inches thereby not qualifying for the team.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Good luck to your friend! Our HR director's niece, Molly Huddle, qualified for the 5000m last night. Hubby begrudgingly watched the race with me grumbling about how it was almost as boring as NASCAR but without the crashes. Molly and the other runners made it worth the watch when in the last 400m the runner in the lead ran out of gas and ended up in 4th place by a matter of inches thereby not qualifying for the team.
    I ran the 3200m in HS and people thought I was nuts for loving the distance races! Not many people wanted to run that race, less competition
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Aug 2001
    What a horrible day. Swimming and sitting by the pool in upper 80 degree air temperatures under a cloudless sky and sipping cocktails. (ZG looked hot today. )
    I gotta find something to do with my life...here's an idea: I'll go to the beach tomorrow and gawk at bikinis!!!
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Jan 2005
    My wife raced against Molly quite often in college. She went to Notre Dame about the same time we were in college in 2001/2002.

I love distance running. I love watching races. The women's 5k is going to be remembered for years to come. It had every aspect of a good movie....

There is more to the story than Julia Lucas losing by .03. She pushed the pace the entire race, and because of that she made everyone run faster. The girl that beat her - Kim Conley had not run the Olympic "A" Standard (which means she wouldn't have qualified for the race) until last night when we got it by.... 0.21 seconds. Yep if she had run a half a second slower, Lucas still would have been going to olympics because she already had the "A" standard. So it really was a double whammy for Lucas, pushing the pace - allowing Conley to get the "A", and then losing by a hair. It is heartbreaking, and yet so much fun to watch.

Much better than watching LeBron travel.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I took this great picture of ZG on the beach today. If I posted it, she'd cut my gonads off. I have this thing about my gonads, so you ain't seeing it.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    I took this great picture of ZG on the beach today. If I posted it, she'd cut my gonads off. I have this thing about my gonads, so you ain't seeing it.
    Then why did you post this ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Then why did you post this ?
    Because for a couple minutes he thought he'd live life dangerously.....then I saw the pic and said OH NO>

Registered
    Aug 2001
    When we were at the beach yesterday, I noticed some gray hairs sprouting around my nipples, so I manscaped in the shower this morning. Does that make my weird or vain? Or both? Or something else?

EDIT: Funny. After I posted that comment, a Bowflex ad popped up on the top of the page.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    When we were at the beach yesterday, I noticed some gray hairs sprouting around my nipples, so I manscaped in the shower this morning. Does that make my weird or vain? Or both? Or something else?

EDIT: Funny. After I posted that comment, a Bowflex ad popped up on the top of the page.
    Denial.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Sep 1999
    RJ's yelling at the t.v. again. He's watching GOLF...

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    RJ's yelling at the t.v. again. He's watching GOLF...
    Does he yell at the tv when watching baseball too ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Does he yell at the tv when watching baseball too ?
    Are you kidding? He was just yelling at the "live update" of the Giants game on the SF newspaper website...

Registered
    Aug 2005
    52 minutes into work and I think I need a nap. ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzz....

Registered
    May 2005
    With two days of work, one da off, and two days of work...........my motiviation is zero. This is worsened by the fact I'm leaving early tomorrow to go see Wicked with the family.

I do have a meeting tonight and I need to Planning Commission packets out this week. Otherwise, I would be a zombie.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Aug 2005
    If you used a lawyer for legal services and thought you were paying for 1 lawyer but when you got the bill it turns out that you were paying for 2 lawyers and therefore your bill was about $200 more than you thought, would you dispute the cost?

FWIW, I don't like confrontation.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I was a little surprised to learn that everyone's favorite B-movie hostess with the mostest, Elvira, is 61 years old! Seems like only yesterday she was giving me adolescent nightmares.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Looks like a last minute trip to Detroit tomorrow.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by jsk1983 View post
    Looks like a last minute trip to Detroit tomorrow.
    Hopefully you have a little time for leisure.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jan 2005
    If you used a lawyer for legal services and thought you were paying for 1 lawyer but when you got the bill it turns out that you were paying for 2 lawyers and therefore your bill was about $200 more than you thought, would you dispute the cost?

FWIW, I don't like confrontation.
    Yes complain. Lawyers like to do this all the time.

-----------------------------------

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/02/sport/...ord/index.html

I am not a huge fan of Galan Rupp, but this story is great. The trials were wonderful. I only wish they could actually show an entire 5k or 10k instead of breaking away every 2 seconds. We get to have track on tv once every 4 years.... just let us watch the entire event. Get sponsors like a soccer game and let us watch. Even IndyCar now has sponsorship with in window of the race...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    May 2004

stereotype alert!

Not surprising in the least. he is way too fit and good looking!

I like Anderson Cooper- I think he is a good reporter. Good for him for coming out. As a side note- I really dig Andrew Sullivan's blog.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Least appealing cities for rednecks to live in:
    1. Portland OR
    2. Ann Arbor MI (rednecks are stopped at city limits and redirected to trailer parks in nearby Ypsitucky)
    3. Madison WI....
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Least appealing cities for rednecks to live in:
    1. Portland OR
    2. Ann Arbor MI (rednecks are stopped at city limits and redirected to trailer parks in nearby Ypsitucky)
    3. Madison WI....
    Yes, but what are the best cities for the least appealing rednecks to live in?
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    America's Top 10 Cat Friendly Cities

America's Most Bearded Cities

Best American Cities For Spitters

America's Best LARPing Cities
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Closed thread
Page 115 of 374 FirstFirst ... 105 114 115 116 125 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 31 Dec 2011, 11:53 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141