Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 130 of 374 FirstFirst ... 120 129 130 131 140 ... LastLast
Results 3,226 to 3,250 of 9327

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Registered
    Jul 2006
    How can you get 23 people in one pickup truck? http://www.dallasnews.com/news/state...ckup-crash.ece
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    yeah i think so

my 19 yo daughter is a real Jekyll/Hyde - she can go from being so together and responsible and fantastic I can't believe it to a self-centered stuck up *&^%$ in a matter of seconds - I think the Incredible Hulk was based upon a teenager...
    I must be in trouble, because I can say the same thing about my 9 year old daughter.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    My best young girl impression:
    "Britney's Dad let her jump her pony over her mom's flower garden. You won't buy me a pony or plant a flower garden. You are so mean!"
    That was FRIGHTENINGLY accurate!! !! LP mentioned Jekyll and Hyde and that's just so right on. It takes moments - no more.

btrage, I hate to warn you but the effect is amplified as they get older. I'm going to send you some relaxation techniques or you could just do what RJ apparently does and kick the hell out of the kitchen garbage can
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    as an old buddy used to say "small kids, small problems, big kids, big problems"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Sure the emotional angst associated with raising little girls is terrible, but little boys in their own way can be just as bad. Example, we got Junior one of those inflatable pools so he could cool off a bit in the summer. We noticed a couple weeks ago the pool was deflated. Upon closer inspection it appeared the pool had been punctured. Under interrogation Junior at first admits to nothing - strictly name, rank, and serial number, but after being waterboarded for a while he lets slip one of the golf balls he was hitting in the back yard may have 'accidently' hit the pool...but it didn't puncture it.....finally, after keeping him in 'the cooler' for several days without food and sleep and working him over for a few hours (or maybe we just yelled at him a while - I forget), we finally broke him. Turns out he took a golf club to the pool. WHY? WHY WOULD HE DO THAT? Funny, I remember doing inexplicable destructive sh*t when I was kid and still have no inkling as to why I did it....must be a Y chromosome thing and I'm getting payback now.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Sure the emotional angst associated with raising little girls is terrible, but little boys in their own way can be just as bad. Example, we got Junior one of those inflatable pools so he could cool off a bit in the summer. We noticed a couple weeks ago the pool was deflated. Upon closer inspection it appeared the pool had been punctured. Under interrogation Junior at first admits to nothing - strictly name, rank, and serial number, but after being waterboarded for a while he lets slip one of the golf balls he was hitting in the back yard may have 'accidently' hit the pool...but it didn't puncture it.....finally, after keeping him in 'the cooler' for several days without food and sleep and working him over for a few hours (or maybe we just yelled at him a while - I forget), we finally broke him. Turns out he took a golf club to the pool. WHY? WHY WOULD HE DO THAT? Funny, I remember doing inexplicable destructive sh*t when I was kid and still have no inkling as to why I did it....must be a Y chromosome thing and I'm getting payback now.
    Someone won't be enjoying a pool for the rest of the summer. Just the sprinkler

RT is generally sweet but she can also turn on a dime and can be a right PITA. Ages 13-15 were the worst.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Sep 2011
    My brother has two bratty girls on the verge of becoming teenagers (11 and 12 years old). I do not envy the next 5-10 years of his life.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Old video (I think) but still cool. This guy traded a beer for "Dog".
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    AIB teenage females -

I too feel for/worry for my brother - he has a 14 yo girl.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I must be in trouble, because I can say the same thing about my 9 year old daughter.
    And me about my 6 year old. Her thing right now is that everything thing between she and her 11 year old brother has to be exactly even or it’s a grave injustice. Then there is the comparing to friends (who get to do this or have that or have pierced ears or travel to France or whatever). Its exhausting. Her favorite thing to do is get really upset about one of these scenarios and then, just as she is about to pull it together, ask for something completely absurd like (between intermittent sobs) “so…can…I..have…an ice cream sundae?” The “no” comes and then it starts all over again.

Another good one is to wait until we are about to go to bed and then ask if we can do something like go ice skating or horseback riding – right now! Wailing ensues. I want to have a pair of those ear protectors (the giant headphone-looking ones jackhammer operators use), hold up my finger for her to wait while I put them on and then say…”no.”

Truth be told, she is really great one on one, but when big brother is around, look out, cause the world is out to short shrift her and damned if she is going to let it slip by without a fight!
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Another contusion on my forehead. I was in the pool yesterday, dove to the bottom and scratched my head above my right eye. I think my forehead has a bull's eye on it.

Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    ...... I'm going to send you some relaxation techniques or you could just do what RJ apparently does and kick the hell out of the kitchen garbage can
    I did not kick the garbage can. I noticed some damage control was performed.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post

I did not kick the garbage can. I noticed some damage control was performed.
    Rubber camping mallets are under 3 bucks at Wally-World and they have soooooo many uses....

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Got wind of some possible juicy news at one or my former employers. Maybe my former supervisor finally got what was coming to him the last ten years. I can't wait to find out.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Last night I dreamed that I got shot in the face and was vomiting up blood. There was also something about a giant poodle-pony and my ex-boyfriend and his family made an appearance as well.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    no more garlic for you!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I need to start a store that sells burgers that look like they are really greasy and bad for you, yet only have 325 calories. I know that sounds weak, but I want a damn burger.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    I need to start a store that sells burgers that look like they are really greasy and bad for you, yet only have 325 calories. I know that sounds weak, but I want a damn burger.
    I believe those things you refer to are called sliders.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    I believe those things you refer to are called sliders.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Last night I dreamed that I got shot in the face and was vomiting up blood. There was also something about a giant poodle-pony and my ex-boyfriend and his family made an appearance as well.
    Were you watching the news last night before you went to bed? Or maybe the Cartoon Network?

We had quite a thunder-and-lighting show here last night. So of course, I had a dream that a huge tree in our yard came down, most of it landing on our neighbor's property. Fortunately, no one was hurt. I got a ride to a furniture store whose owner also ran a tree service.

So far, our trees seem to have come through the storm unscathed... I hope.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    Were you watching the news last night before you went to bed? Or maybe the Cartoon Network?

We had quite a thunder-and-lighting show here last night. So of course, I had a dream that a huge tree in our yard came down, most of it landing on our neighbor's property. Fortunately, no one was hurt. I got a ride to a furniture store whose owner also ran a tree service.

So far, our trees seem to have come through the storm unscathed... I hope.
    I spent from 10 to 11:15 last night trying to get my dogs to vomit because one of them decided to chew on/destroy a roll of cornstarch doggy poo bags while I was at a 3 hour budget meeting with City Council.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    I spent from 10 to 11:15 last night trying to get my dogs to vomit because one of them decided to chew on/destroy a roll of cornstarch doggy poo bags while I was at a 3 hour budget meeting with City Council.
    Well now, that explains it!
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I just survived a two hour "Your Organization Sucks and In Deep Doo-Doo" meeting. I need a drink.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2005
    I refuse to use sod at my new house.

I vow upon my ancestors' graves that I will create a beautiful lush lawn without using sod.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jan 2005

I vow upon my ancestors' graves that I will create a beautiful lush lawn without using sod.
    In this weather? Good luck. I look forward to your water bills....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2005

I refuse to sod my lawn. I'm heading towards the Garden > Lawn concept.

Closed thread
Page 130 of 374 FirstFirst ... 120 129 130 131 140 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 01 Jan 2014, 12:58 AM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 01 Jan 2012, 12:53 AM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 01 Jan 2009, 12:43 AM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 7:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141