Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 133 of 374 FirstFirst ... 123 132 133 134 143 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,325 of 9327

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Just got back from the emergency vet. Long story short, I'm going to have to keep Guinness "comfortable" for the next month or two.
    Hugs of support for you, and ear scratches/belly rubs (whichever is more appropriate!) for Guinness!

While I think we have a great vet with flexible hours, the emergency vet has also been good to us. I hope all goes well with "staying comfortable".
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    I hate Arc Desktop 10.1. Also, I love that they keep sending me emails about how revolutionary it is that they are finally on the cloud. You are only two years behind ESRI... seriously.

The revolution will be held by others who are tired of your product, and are unwilling to pay for yearly maintenance....you aren't invited.
    I agree. I am constantly butting heads with our IT department to get them to allow us to use Google Maps and Google Earth for more stuff. For the stuff that I do, ESRI products are the ultimate in slowness, overkill, and limited manipulability (is that a word?) for the folks I need to share my information with.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Oct 2005
    The company I work for has an opportunity in Homestead, FL working on military planning with the Air Reserves if you are interested, or know someone who is please let me know.
    Masters in planning or land use law preferred, 5-8 years experience, Spanish a plus.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Just got back from the emergency vet. Long story short, I'm going to have to keep Guinness "comfortable" for the next month or two.
    That's a hard time, Dan. Sorry to hear it, and I hope Guinness will be comfortable, and that you will be OK as it comes. You got some big metaphysical hugs coming your way.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    One benefit to managing a building department?

The hotties you meet when inspecting a home day care....

Just sayin'

(and no... a more detailed "inspection" was not requested by the applicant... )
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally posted by CPSURaf View post
    Do you ever wonder what those "wack jobs" that always attend public meetings do for a living other than complain about "Freedoms" taken away or whatever else they speak out against? I noticed on the news last night that our "regulars" were also at a Board of Supervisors meeting and I was like..huh that was at 10am this morning, our meeting was at 4pm. Go Figure.

BTW the camera adds 10 pounds
    One of our regular complainers claims to have a professional occupation, and he actually has a valid license for said occupation. However, I have no idea if he actually finds work. I have noticed that his conspiracy spiel includes a request to be hired as a consultant, or the CM .

Bellyrubs for Guinness. I'm sorry for the unfortunate news Dan.
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Registered
    May 2005
    Sorry to hear that, Dan! Our 12 year old dog I fear is headed down that road, too. Give Guinness and extra squeeze for me.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Today is my one year employment anniversary with my organization. It's been quite eventful.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I hate when I try to use a GroupOn type deal at a local place and the folks working the register seem to have no idea what it is or if it is legit. Managers/Owners need to do a better job of letting their employees what sort of deals they should be expecting.

All ended well though and I got my $5 off for our lunch.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I hate when I try to use a GroupOn type deal at a local place and the folks working the register seem to have no idea what it is or if it is legit. Managers/Owners need to do a better job of letting their employees what sort of deals they should be expecting.
    Same goes for foursquare check in specials.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I received a letter today from the state chapter of the APA about my recently lapsed membership and trying to entice me back. I haven't been a paid member of the state chapter (or a national level member for that matter) for at least 3 years.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Dogs lives seem so tragically short.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Dogs lives seem so tragically short.
    I don't know. I do wish they would live longer, but a good dog lives a pretty happy and exciting life.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    May 2005
    Last week I was n SoCal clearing out a lingering storage unit of my father’s accumulated effects. He is in advanced stages of Alzheimer’s in Seattle so the unsavory task fell to me and my brother. I brought my older child, 11, and my 21 yo niece also came. It was fun. And tedious. And emotionally taxing. But its done.

One of the cool things we found was an old .38 pistol that belonged to a Great Great Uncle. I sent this and a number of other items home and they arrived yesterday. Spent some time last night trying to identify the pistol. It’s a 5-shot, .38 Smith and Wesson 3rd Model Safety Hammerless and, based on the serial number, was made between 1890 and 1898. Pretty cool! Even has the original holster and the insignia “U.S.X” on it. That relative worked at the Tulsa RR station and worked for the United States Express Company, a private company that handled parcel and especially money deliveries around the country. These pistols were made to order by the company for its employees.

Other interesting items include two almost life sized carved ebony heads from what was then French Cameroon (my father was sent there in 1956 when in the AF to get the 24 chimps from whom HAM the space chimp was chosen), my father’s impressive stamp collection (I know nothing about stamp collecting myself) and lots of embarrassing pictures of me.

Anyway, kinda cool. Especially the pistol.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Dr. Who theme rock style.

FWIW I actually like the the older versions with synthesizer best
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    The flushie handle on the toilet in the master bath broke today. It's something I can fix. ZG must have been working that thing overtime. I'm off to Lowe's tomorrow morning. During the interim, we share the half bath.

Is that TMI?

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Take lots of photos

Now would be the time for a professional portrait session, if you can manage it. When my 19yo kitty was fading away, I put the camera on a tripod, set it on autotimer, and posed for a handful of pics.

Here's one of my favorites.

Thinking about losing loved ones, it seems easier when you can see the light at the end of the tunnel, rather than wake up to a knock on the door. YMMV. Holding you and Guinness in the light.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    As a consumer and user, I prefer Gillette Fusion ProGlide shaving gel over Edge. In comparison to Edge gel, I use less of the Gillette, it feels better, and it leaves a nice aroma on my sensitive face. I endorse Gillette.

There, I said it.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    As a consumer and user, I prefer Gillette Fusion ProGlide shaving gel over Edge. In comparison to Edge gel, I use less of the Gillette, it feels better, and it leaves a nice aroma on my sensitive face. I endorse Gillette.

There, I said it.
    And what is the body wash that ZG endorses on your behalf? With the faint pine aroma.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    And what is the body wash that ZG endorses on your behalf? With the faint pine aroma.
    I believe Pine-Sol® would be appropriate for RJ's use. After all it's endorsed by powerful women.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    Didn't I post this before? Old Spice Pure Sport High Endurance. Not only does RJ smell lusciously climbable, but the bathroom smells so clean! (Why don't we have a "panting lust" emoticon?)

I need to get him some xanax for these afternoon thunderstorms. I need to get me some, since we're taking two plane trips this fall, but I'm not sharing mine...

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Randoms On A Saturday Night

Dan, enjoy these months with your love puppy.
    _____

This Bear, just hangin' on a Saturday night. Bought a couple thick steaks but saving them for tomorrow evening's grill attack. Tonight is a bit of a leftover cruise. Sub sandwich (half still in 'fridge), some cantelope, strawberries.
    _____

I am curious, yellow.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    ZG and I just booked our flight to California. We arrive late on October 20th and depart on October 26th.
    Anyone interested in a Bay Area Cyburbian CalFest? We'll be up in the wine country, too.

Registered
    Aug 2004

I lost my last grandparent this morning

My grandmother passed away this morning after a long battle with Alzheimers. She had been in a lock-down unit for about 5 years, getting steadily worse until this past week, when she was in hospice care. She died with two of her daughters by her side.
    These last few years have been tough for the grandkids. She didn't know who we were, which kid of hers we belonged to, and often was unpleasant to be around. It was to the point we would not visit without another family member present, which meant fewer visits because of scheduling issues.
    I know she's in a better place now. She's with grandpa, and if heaven is as advertised, she has her mind back too. Now it's time for the rest of us to come to terms with her death.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    My grandmother passed away this morning after a long battle with Alzheimers. She had been in a lock-down unit for about 5 years, getting steadily worse until this past week, when she was in hospice care. She died with two of her daughters by her side.
    These last few years have been tough for the grandkids. She didn't know who we were, which kid of hers we belonged to, and often was unpleasant to be around. It was to the point we would not visit without another family member present, which meant fewer visits because of scheduling issues.
    I know she's in a better place now. She's with grandpa, and if heaven is as advertised, she has her mind back too. Now it's time for the rest of us to come to terms with her death.
    This is a sad day for you. I'm sorry for your loss.

Closed thread
Page 133 of 374 FirstFirst ... 123 132 133 134 143 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 01 Jan 2014, 12:58 AM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 01 Jan 2012, 12:53 AM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 01 Jan 2009, 12:43 AM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 7:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141