Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 142 of 374 FirstFirst ... 132 141 142 143 152 ... LastLast
Results 3,526 to 3,550 of 9327

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    wow that Emma thread - now who is that again, whose sock puppet?
    Do you really think we could make that stuff up? Emma is all Emma.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    Found out our non primary vehicle (2006 Beetle) needs an AC Compressor. OEM part is $490 as quoted by a german auto service guy in town. Is it kosher to buy the compressor myself and bring it to him and ask him to install that one or am I breaking an unwritten auto service rule? I think I can get the whole kit on ebay for 240 plus shipping vs. 600 from the service guy's suppliers. Thoughts?
    I know many mechanics won't even do it since they can't guarantee their work when a part comes from an untrusted source. I'm sure you could call around and find someone who'd do it but personally I'd rather pay more and have the work guaranteed if possible.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Found out our non primary vehicle (2006 Beetle) needs an AC Compressor. OEM part is $490 as quoted by a german auto service guy in town. Is it kosher to buy the compressor myself and bring it to him and ask him to install that one or am I breaking an unwritten auto service rule? I think I can get the whole kit on ebay for 240 plus shipping vs. 600 from the service guy's suppliers. Thoughts?
    I would provide the mechanic the opportunity to buy that part from your source. If he says no, then have him do it his way even though it is more expensive. I think taking him the part to install does violate an unwritten rule, but offering up a source that could save him money is different. Regardless, you want him to purchase & install so that the work is guaranteed.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    My present and former mechanics both let me buy my own parts, but I only used local suppliers. A former mechanic told me that there's 100% mark up when a mechanic buys parts.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    wow that Emma thread - now who is that again, whose sock puppet?
    Quote Originally posted by giff57 View post
    Do you really think we could make that stuff up? Emma is all Emma.
    The sad part is, her presence is so short lived that we can't set an over/under post number and start a poll.
    I think that one of the great signs of security is the ability to just walk away.

Registered
    May 2004
    I am honestly intrigued by this thing called hair tonic.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    I am honestly intrigued by this thing called hair tonic.
    that's the Mad Men name for it but now it's called "product"

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Click image for larger version

Name:	081112.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	4975
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    I used to like that comic; what was it?

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post

Si es verdad.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Why do otherwise seemingly intelligent individuals not wear their seat belts?
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I don't know. A buddy of mine (reasonably intelligent, not a moron) believes that seatbelts do more harm than good, and he recalls a supposed accident where "he's lucky he wasn't wearing a seatbelt or he would've died".

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    The same reason they drive motorcycles and don't wear helmets. They like to risk their lives for no reason.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    ...and he recalls a supposed accident where "he's lucky he wasn't wearing a seatbelt or he would've died".
    Why does everyone have this same tired excuse? Buy your friends a 10 dollar seat belt cutter and window smasher then.
    I can tell you the stats but that doesn't change anyone's mind. You are 100% more likely to die in a crash if you are not wearing your belt. 40,000 people die each year in car accidents and not wearing a seat belt is the leading cause of death for people under the age of 35.

I know JNA will agree with me, as a firefighter I've seen fatalities from not wearing your belt, and a few when they have, but I've never seen a survivor from someone ejected.
    @GigCityPlanner

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I know JNA will agree with me, as a firefighter I've seen fatalities from not wearing your belt, and a few when they have, but I've never seen a survivor from someone ejected.
    Indeed, the difference made with a shoulder strap.
    24 yrs later I still remember responding to a rollover ejecting 4 people .
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Well the BF is off to law school orientation today...he is allowed to practice any kind of law he wants when he finishes, except land use law
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    Well the BF is off to law school orientation today...he is allowed to practice any kind of law he wants when he finishes, except land use law
    Is that so he doesn't nick-pick your zoning code? Or so he doesn't lead a class action lawsuit against your fair community?
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    We need to find a way to get emma & u19 to hook up. They would make a great one-trick pony couple shopping at Macys together.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Is that so he doesn't nick-pick your zoning code? Or so he doesn't lead a class action lawsuit against your fair community?
    I just know many of the local land use attorneys...it's too familiar. Also, I am the expert on land use law in our house and I will not be challenged!
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I think I need to buy a tent. I don't need a tent but it is one of those items that I feel I should own, just in case I get the urge to go camping.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I think I need to buy a tea cozy. We have absolutely nothing in the way of tea pot covers. I don't need a tea cozy, but I'd like little old ladies to feel at home in the event we should ever decide to host a crochet circle or a quilting.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I think I need to buy a tea cozy. We have absolutely nothing in the way of tea pot covers. I don't need a tea cozy, but I'd like little old ladies to feel at home in the event we should ever decide to host a crochet circle or a quilting.
    Every house should have at least one tea cozy. How the heck do you make a decent cup of tea without one?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    I think I need to buy a tent. I don't need a tent but it is one of those items that I feel I should own, just in case I get the urge to go camping.
    Should you decide to get a tent, spending a little more up front can save you frustration later on. I am not saying break the bank. I am saying don't go cheap.

And keep in mind what you might use it for and where. Way out here, for example, they call the wind Maria and she is a force to be reckoned with. Two o'clock in the morning with a storm blasting is not an opportune time to make repairs on a broken tent pole.

And if they say it is a 4-man tent, keep in mind it is a two or three person tent, once you get yourselves and your stuff inside and still want a little room to move around. But don't go too big either. Most campsites cannot accomodate a tent that has a dimension that is more than 12-14 feet.

And one more thing, that tent you buy was rolled up by a machine in the factory. It is unlikely you will ever get the tent, the poles/stakes bag and rain fly back in that tent bag.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    And one more thing, that tent you buy was rolled up by a machine in the factory. It is unlikely you will ever get the tent, the poles/stakes bag and rain fly back in that tent bag.
    You mean they don't just sew the tent bag around the tent and accessories?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Billions and billions ...

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Closed thread
Page 142 of 374 FirstFirst ... 132 141 142 143 152 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 01 Jan 2014, 12:58 AM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 01 Jan 2012, 12:53 AM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 01 Jan 2009, 12:43 AM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 7:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141