Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 146 of 374 FirstFirst ... 136 145 146 147 156 ... LastLast
Results 3,626 to 3,650 of 9327

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    I've always found it amusing how they censor stuff without obscuring what's being said. Even a child could figure out what word is being censored is most cases since it's made so obvious. Unsurprisingly places like Comedy Central make a joke out of the whole thing. It really begs the question as to why censoring is even necessary when they do such a poor job at it.

I seem to remember they used to cut or voice over offensive content in the past.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Blide View post
    I've always found it amusing how they censor stuff without obscuring what's being said. Even a child could figure out what word is being censored is most cases since it's made so obvious. Unsurprisingly places like Comedy Central make a joke out of the whole thing.
    I'm pretty sure there is no censorship anymore in America. 50+ years ago Elvis can't swing his hips and now look at the garbage on the radio and TV. The amount of suggestive lyrics in today's music is abhorrent.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Only 10? Every sperm is sacred ...

A market study that was done by the downtown development agency here found a really strange rental market. Vacancy rates are about 1%. As soon as new apartments are built, they fill up immediately. There's a missing middle; it's mostly "authentic" college/hippie ghetto-style units that haven't been updated in decades, nice but subsidized housing for low income households and seniors, aging complexes from the 1970s, or expensive high end luxury units. Amenities are low; only a few complexes have pools, gyms or the like. A prominent anti-developer sentiment makes infill and redevelopment difficult to pursue, and the many garden ladies who won't let go of their double or triple lots aren't helping matters.

Not Photoshopped, and five hours from Manhattan.

Macroeconomics at work. HUGE demand from students and professionals, and very low supply, Part of my job as a planner is to help change that.

Right now, I rent a townhouse in a rural hamlet about four miles from downtown. (I'll probably be buying a place in a year or two; I already own one house in another city.) I'm the only "townie" that lives here; otherwise, it's all grad or doctoral students. Rent is about 50-70% higher than what I'd pay for an equivalent place in any other Upstate city. If fracking comes to NY, I fear the effect it will have on those renting in outlying areas.
    You see this in college towns everywhere. The locals (especially the faculty elites) like the activity, the amenities, the old-style and 'crunchy' charm and so forth - but just think about letting those students LIVE anywhere in the area around the campus....

How dense would central Ithaca be and what would it generally look like today without zoning controls?

Mike

Registered
    May 2005
    My wife and daughters are leaving Wednesday for a 10-day trip to Southern California. Her brother and his wife are both Marines stationed at Camp Pendleton and they'll be staying at their place. I would've gone with them, but I've already taken a week off this summer and work is super busy right now.

It will be a very quiet house when they're gone.

Well at least when I'm not throwing a house party ala Old School.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    the similar thread feature thingy is hilarious and has regurgitated mindless reading of old threads in the wayback machine...

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    My wife and daughters are leaving Wednesday for a 10-day trip to Southern California. Her brother and his wife are both Marines stationed at Camp Pendleton and they'll be staying at their place. I would've gone with them, but I've already taken a week off this summer and work is super busy right now.

It will be a very quiet house when they're gone.

Well at least when I'm not throwing a house party ala Old School.
    I know a good sand guy

Will they be visiting the wonderful sites of northern SD County/OC such as legoland?
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Raf View post
    I know a good sand guy

Will they be visiting the wonderful sites of northern SD County/OC such as legoland?
    I think they're still planning their destinations. They live in Murrieta, so they can probably hit up any number of attractions. Legoland looks prettty awesome.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    The Princeton Review has published the list of where you kids should go to college. You need to help them choose the right university...

PARTY SCHOOLS

1. West Virginia University, Morgantown

2. University of Iowa, Iowa City

3. Ohio University, Athens

4. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

5. University of Georgia, Athens

6. University of Florida, Gainesville

7. University of California-Santa Barbara

8. Florida State University, Tallahassee

9. Miami University of Ohio, Oxford

10. Syracuse University, Syracuse, N.Y.

11. Penn State University, University Park, Pa.

12. DePauw University, Greencastle, Ind.

13. University of Wisconsin-Madison

14. University of Mississippi

15. University of Texas-Austin

16. University of Maryland, College Park

17. University of South Carolina, Columbia

18. James Madison University, Harrisonburg Va.

19. University of Maine, Orono

20. University of Tennessee, Knoxville

STONE-COLD SOBER SCHOOLS

1. Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah

2. Wheaton College, Wheaton, Ill.

3. U.S. Naval Academy, Annapolis, Md.

4. U.S. Coast Guard Academy, New London, Conn.

5. Grove City College, Grove City, Pa.

6. U.S. Military Academy, West Point, N.Y.

7. City University of New York-Brooklyn College

8. Wesleyan College, Macon, Ga.

9. Wellesley College, Wellesley, Mass.

10. Calvin College, Grand Rapids, Mich.

11. City University of New York-City College

12. City University of New York-Queens-Hunter College, Flushing, N.Y.

13. Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering, Needham, Mass.

14. Agnes Scott College, Atlanta-Decatur, Ga.

15. Simmons College, Boston

16. U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.

17. Pepperdine University, Malibu, Calif.

18. Becker College, Worcester, Mass.

19. Cooper Union for the Advancement of New York

20. California State University-Stanislaus, Turlock, Calif.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    The Princeton Review has published the list of where you kids should go to college. You need to help them choose the right university...

STONE-COLD SOBER SCHOOLS
    [snip]

10. Calvin College, Grand Rapids, Mich.
    [snip]
    I'm surprised Calvin got the nod over that other nearby bastion of Dutch Reformed Dourness known as Hope College
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I'm surprised Calvin got the nod over that other nearby bastion of Dutch Reformed Dourness known as Hope College
    Don't forget Cornerstone University.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Back to work for a full week, which is surprisingly refreshing. Had the flu last week, then my daughter had her adenoids out and sinus surgery. Hoping this helps the multiple sinus infections she had the past year.

So our lawn really needs to be mowed, but with me (and everyone else in the household) sick last week it just didn't get done. Last night I just didn't feel like it. But anyway, last Wednesday we called a lawn service (left a message) that the bf personally knows and asked if they could come mow the lawn. In the past I guess they've just gone and done it. They haven't even called us back. Last year I called this same company and five others for them to come do fall leaf service and only one of the companies called me back. Apparently the lawn care business isn't hurting at all because they are already too busy, or perhaps they have shitty customer service. Either way I'm irritated.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Have you been to Ohio University at Halloween? They have been #1 for many years and I think they earned that ranking.... although I heard that there were 100 underage drinking citations already at WVU and school started yesterday....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner View post
    So our lawn really needs to be mowed, but with me (and everyone else in the household) sick last week it just didn't get done. Last night I just didn't feel like it. But anyway, last Wednesday we called a lawn service (left a message) that the bf personally knows and asked if they could come mow the lawn. In the past I guess they've just gone and done it. They haven't even called us back. Last year I called this same company and five others for them to come do fall leaf service and only one of the companies called me back. Apparently the lawn care business isn't hurting at all because they are already too busy, or perhaps they have shitty customer service. Either way I'm irritated.
    I had the same experience when looking for a lawn service a few years ago. I was specifically calling companies that already did quite a bit of business in our neighborhood (including one of them that does the next door neighbor's house) thinking that they would love to get one more that they wouldn't have to drive the trucks to for a separate trip. Of the 5 services I called, only 2 ever called me back and only 1 of them bothered to actually get me a quote. The same thing happened in the winter when I was looking for a snow plow service.

I've had similarly bad experiences looking for electricians, garage door installers, and a general handyman.

Sometimes, the awful communication and customer service that some small businesses display just astounds me.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Speaking of College lists, I saw Newsweek put out the list of the least rigorous colleges yesterday.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Blide View post
    Speaking of College lists, I saw Newsweek put out the list of the least rigorous colleges yesterday.
    Middlebury College made the list of most rigorous colleges. Fun fact - Snake Jailbird is a graduate of Middlebury.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    Middlebury College made the list of most rigorous colleges. Fun fact - Snake Jailbird is a graduate of Middlebury.
    I definitely messed that link up there. Was skimming through all their lists and just hit the first "rigorous" list to link

Here's the correct one.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    Registered for the NC APA state conference September 27-29 today. It's a little early for a laefest thread but I'll be sure to set one up when we're about 30 days out! So lucky it's in my backyard and can't wait for my NC Cyburbs to come down the shore.
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    You can count me in as the laefest co-chair. I registered and booked my hotel last month. I'm busy busy 'planning' two sessions.
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    There's not too much planning just a time we start walking down Front Street and who the we is.

Was given the official okie-dokie to attend NCAPA yesterday. See you on Front Street.

jmello used to work in that town, but he went to another job (and stopped posting here).
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jul 1998

PARTY SCHOOLS

1. West Virginia University, Morgantown

2. University of Iowa, Iowa City

3. Ohio University, Athens

4. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

5. University of Georgia, Athens

6. University of Florida, Gainesville

7. University of California-Santa Barbara

8. Florida State University, Tallahassee

9. Miami University of Ohio, Oxford

10. Syracuse University, Syracuse, N.Y.
    Yes! We came in at #2... Go Hawks!
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Today sucks more than I thought it would. That is a downer.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Was given the official okie-dokie to attend NCAPA yesterday. See you on Front Street.

jmello used to work in that town, but he went to another job (and stopped posting here).
    Party of 3...I can't think of anyone else that might attend. We can plan the time via email. jmello is in another state now...I saw him email from his new job on something a while back.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    Party of 3...I can't think of anyone else that might attend. We can plan the time via email. jmello is in another state now...I saw him email from his new job on something a while back.
    We can always use this opportunity as a recruitment drive I'm sure we can all get a group together or tag along with the City of Wilmington crowd, they're awesome.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Today sucks more than I thought it would. That is a downer.
    I hear you… I had a bad start to the morning, then I thought all was well once I was finally on my way to work… nope. Ran over a poor defenseless squirrel completely on accident… can still hear the “thump” as my tire ran right over him… so sad. I need to do something to repair my squirrel karma.

Edit: karma... no pun intended.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I woke up at 3 a.m. this morning and never could get back to sleep. Major case of dragging a$$ here.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Came home early today, felt like crap. I hate my body. With a passion.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Dec 2008

validation

Based on a local radio show today, I am apparently just posting on Cyburbia looking for VALIDATION!!! That's not true! Somebody tell me that's not true! I have lots to say! Somebody tell me I'm right about the validation thing.....anybody?

Love Me! Love Me!
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Closed thread
Page 146 of 374 FirstFirst ... 136 145 146 147 156 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 31 Dec 2011, 11:53 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141