Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 160 of 374 FirstFirst ... 150 159 160 161 170 ... LastLast
Results 3,976 to 4,000 of 9327

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Today is National Chocolate Milkshake Day. yum
    I had a big glass of it this morning after my run.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Today is National Chocolate Milkshake Day. yum
    Well I'll absolutley have to take advantage of it and celebrate with one. I think 2:30 pm will be the appropriate time.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Oct 2005
    The company I work for may have several openings around the US for experienced planners. If you are interested please PM me for more details. Relocation expenses unknown at this time.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    The company I work for may have several openings around the US for experienced planners. If you are interested please PM me for more details. Relocation expenses unknown at this time.
    Any openings in Europe? Last night DH told me that if I wanted to move to Europe for a year with the cats, it would be fine but he would stay in the US with the dogs.

Husbands, word to the wise, sometimes it is just fun to dream and the dream doesn't have to be shot down instantaneously.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Any openings in Europe? Last night DH told me that if I wanted to move to Europe for a year with the cats, it would be fine but he would stay in the US with the dogs.

Husbands, word to the wise, sometimes it is just fun to dream and the dream doesn't have to be shot down instantaneously.
    Thanks for reminding me about this dandy.

My wife likes to dream a lot, and I used to take it personally, as in she wasn't happy with what we had in life. Even now, after we just bought a house a few months ago, she'll make comments about wishing she had this or that.

I used to try and shoot her dreams down, and try and rationalize why what she wanted really wasn't that important, like a curved staircase, or bathroom with two sinks.

It's still a struggle for me, but I try and just let her dream. As long as I'm included!
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I know some wives that would benefit from hearing this as well.

In other news, I need two additional bowlers to join our bowling team Wednesday nights at America's oldest bowling alley in the heart of Detroit. Any takers? I am hitting up all avenues, so why not include Cyburbia...
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I know some wives that would benefit from hearing this as well.
    Good point, I'll amend my statement to be, "Don't shoot down other people's dreams."
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Why Buffalo is going to Hell #911.

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    That's much better (or worse really) than the craft project my daughter's story group did at the library yesterday that was all about airplanes and cutting a bunch out of construction paper.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    When we moved into our first apartment after getting married there was a guy that lived on our floor that the neighbors referred to as "Captain America". His initials were 'C.A.' but he earned the title because he used to crank up patriotic music and marches all the time on his stereo. I mean that was all you ever heard him play. And it wasn't just that he was watching tv real loud when the Star Spangled Banner happened to be playing before a baseball game, because several times he had left his door cracked open and I saw he was sitting in his chair chilling out listening to Sousa on his hi fi You could hear 'You're a Grand Old Flag' or 'Sabres & Spurs' blaring as he vacuumed and did his housework. Is that wierd or what?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    When we moved into our first apartment after getting married there was a guy that lived on our floor that the neighbors referred to as "Captain America". His initials were 'C.A.' but he earned the title because he used to crank up patriotic music and marches all the time on his stereo. I mean that was all you ever heard him play. And it wasn't just that he was watching tv real loud when the Star Spangled Banner happened to be playing before a baseball game, because several times he had left his door cracked open and I saw he was sitting in his chair chilling out listening to Sousa on his hi fi You could hear 'You're a Grand Old Flag' or 'Sabres & Spurs' blaring as he vacuumed and did his housework. Is that wierd or what?
    Why do you hate America?

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I don't know how you can afford a new car. Maybe I am just cheap. We've been looking at replacements for my 2004 SUV and I too want just barebones and AWD but the dealerships either have premium models or the barebones are still like 25K. My problem is I got a 2 year old SUV for 8K cash from a family member and my current car for 3K and a trade. So my thinking is a late-model SUV can be under 10K! Sigh...
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by stroskey View post
    I don't know how you can afford a new car. Maybe I am just cheap. We've been looking at replacements for my 2004 SUV and I too want just barebones and AWD but the dealerships either have premium models or the barebones are still like 25K. My problem is I got a 2 year old SUV for 8K cash from a family member and my current car for 3K and a trade. So my thinking is a late-model SUV can be under 10K! Sigh...
    You might want to check out the Suzuki SX4 as it has AWD and is on the cheaper side. Don't laugh but I have a Kia Rondo that does not have AWD but is a V6 and I love it. It has tons of space and cargo room. Unfortunately I don't think they make them anymore but you can pick up a used one with low miles for a decent price. The Mazda 5 is also a lot of space on a smaller budget.

He's a rat! He just sent me a job posting (for him) in Finland!

Registered
    Dec 2008
    He's a rat! He just sent me a job posting (for him) in Finland!
    Yes, but he's a rat who is holding his little rat heart in his hands, and wanting to go to Finland. Look at his little deceptive whiskers. See how his little rat-nose twitches and those beady eyes are looking at you...only at you. Because he is a rat who wants to go to Finland with you. You love rats and you know it.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner View post
    Why do you hate America?
    Uniquement en Anglais?

Why do you hate Canada?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2005
    Do I want to spend $4,000 to have 240 feet of privacy fence installed?

Or spend $2,000 on material and do the work myself?

Digging 30 post holes in clay soil worries me?

I'm leaning towards doing it myself, with help from other.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Random 1

The other day a friend pointed out that for years we have had a large number of "Gifted" students. Her question is where are all the gifted adults?

Random 2
    It is an amazing sight when a lawyer realizes that her client has only provided fragments of information where as the City provides everything.

Random 3
    My phone has been evil for the past month... as in it acts as if someone is pushing on the screen causing apps to open. I have been holding out for the iPhone 5 and buy my second apple product... EVER.

Quote Originally posted by Maister View post

Why do you hate Canada?
    Because their hockey teams can't win Lord Stanley's Cup... and it is still their biggest sport.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Do I want to spend $4,000 to have 240 feet of privacy fence installed?

Or spend $2,000 on material and do the work myself?

Digging 30 post holes in clay soil worries me?

I'm leaning towards doing it myself, with help from other.
    Spend $2,000 on materials, plus $100 or so to rent a power post hold digger from Home Depot, buy some beer and pizza, and have some friends over to help.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner View post
    Spend $2,000 on materials, plus $100 or so to rent a power post hold digger from Home Depot, buy some beer and pizza, and have some friends over to help.
    Also... and this is important... rent a 2-person auger rather than a 1-person. You need to trust me on this.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Oct 2005
    It only took 11 years. *sigh*

Saw one of those oval white bumper stickers today (the kind that usually say OBX, VT, or other) It said BUN and I could only think of our Bear
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    That's how they roll in Detroit.

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jul 2007

wow, you would never see something like that south of the mason dixon line!
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    May 2005

Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    wow, you would never see something like that south of the mason dixon line!
    The "f" is hidden by the crease in the paper. "Shift", not "Shit". Even we're not that crass up here!

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    The "f" is hidden by the crease in the paper. "Shift", not "Shit". Even we're not that crass up here!
    oh ok, sorry, still working on my first and gearing up for day o' meetings-2 hours of ordinance revisions and a pre-sub about a parcel that was turned down last year for a certain golden-arched restaurant. How is everyone else? Anyone have any fun meetings they want to share with the group?
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Feb 2004
    http://fiverr.com/haleylujah/dance-t...ot-dog-costume

Pay $5 to watch someone dressed up as a hot dog to dance for two minutes? Why that's just the sort of entrepreneurial spirit this country needs! I feel a new economic model coming on......

Closed thread
Page 160 of 374 FirstFirst ... 150 159 160 161 170 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 31 Dec 2011, 11:53 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141