Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 161 of 374 FirstFirst ... 151 160 161 162 171 ... LastLast
Results 4,001 to 4,025 of 9327

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Yesterday I took Addie, my 7 year old, to the dentist. Afterward she came with me to my office to spend the rest of the day. She was hanging around coloring on white boards and defacing old plans - and then made me a sign for my door. I asked her what it was and she said it was a sign so that everyone could stop saying the same things all the time (she could hear me, the code compliance officer, the business license official, etc.).

Here's the kicker: The sign reads "I CAN"T TALK RIGHT NOW, AND THE ANSWER IS NO."

I'm leaving it up.

Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    http://fiverr.com/haleylujah/dance-t...ot-dog-costume

Pay $5 to watch someone dressed up as a hot dog to dance for two minutes? Why that's just the sort of entrepreneurial spirit this country needs! I feel a new economic model coming on......
    And I've been doing this kind of thing for FREE!!!! But I dress in a "Pot Roast" costume.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    The "f" is hidden by the crease in the paper. "Shift", not "Shit". Even we're not that crass up here!
    Ahhhh. Dan almost had me. That would have been a sweet headline.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    Ahhhh. Dan almost had me. That would have been a sweet headline.
    And accurate as well.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

checking in from the APA Florida conference

We visited the Edison-Ford Winter Estates in Ft. Myers FL yesterday. Well worth the trip. I'll post pics when we return.

Spent some time in the older commercial areas of Naples today--another death march. I'll post pics when we return.

These seminars are taking their toll on me.

ZG has insulted only two people since we're been here. No shots were fired.

Many other stories to tell.

We found Trader Joe's and we're drinking Two Buck Chuck.
    Last edited by Richmond Jake; 13 Sep 2012 at 3:05 PM. Reason: $2 Chuck
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I don't want to condemn your right to believe in whatever fruit loop mythical religious doctrine you care to adhere to. BUT, Moslems, some of you need to take a step back and stop attacking embassies and killing innocent people just because you heard someone said something you didn't like about your religion.

Maybe you are relying on our reputation of being cautious and mostly reasonable. But keep in mind that we have a sh*tload of missiles, bombs and a kick-ass air force. We could carpet-bomb your country into the 14th century before the ink was dry on the UN sanction.

I am just saying.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    I don't want to condemn your right to believe in whatever fruit loop mythical religious doctrine you care to adhere to. BUT, Moslems, some of you need to take a step back and stop attacking embassies and killing innocent people just because you heard someone said something you didn't like about your religion.

Maybe you are relying on our reputation of being cautious and mostly reasonable. But keep in mind that we have a sh*tload of missiles, bombs and a kick-ass air force. We could carpet-bomb your country into the 14th century before the ink was dry on the UN sanction.

I am just saying.
    I hear ya. I'm a pretty tolerant person, and definitely not a warmonger. But this crap is starting to tick me off. The term "carpet-bomb" also crossed my mind today.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post

I didn't insult anyone. I just mentioned how bizarre it is that people can't ride one floor up in an elevator without frantically checking their smartphones instead of the time-honored traditions of staring at the ceiling or the floor numbers, or say, actually saying "Hi". I did say thst to you and not to the twitchy geeky guy with the ginormous briefcase or the woman with the bad highlights and unflattering sheath dress, both who only coincidentally happened to have whipped out their phones when they realized they would be sharing the elevator with strangers (or maybe they'd do that even sharing with friends,,,).

And don't even get me started on the nutcase who was going to the third floor and almost had a meltdown when we boarded the elevator and hit the second floor button...

Registered
    Jul 2006
    We visited the Edison-Ford Winter Estates in Ft. Myers FL yesterday. Well worth the trip. I'll post pics when we return.

Spent some time in the older commercial areas of Naples today--another death march. I'll post pics when we return.

These seminars are taking their toll on me.

Many other stories to tell.

We found Trader Joe's and we're drinking Two Buck Chuck.
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    I didn't insult anyone. I just mentioned how bizarre it is that people can't ride one floor up in an elevator without frantically checking their smartphones instead of the time-honored traditions of staring at the ceiling or the floor numbers, or say, actually saying "Hi". I did say thst to you and not to the twitchy geeky guy with the ginormous briefcase or the woman with the bad highlights and unflattering sheath dress, both who only coincidentally happened to have whipped out their phones when they realized they would be sharing the elevator with strangers (or maybe they'd do that even sharing with friends,,,).

And don't even get me started on the nutcase who was going to the third floor and almost had a meltdown when we boarded the elevator and hit the second floor button...
    Ralph & Alice
    Archie & Edith
    George & Louise
    Frank & Marie
    RJ & ZG

Just the latest in a long list of comedy couples. Aren't they great folks? Let's give them a big round of applause!

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post

I am just saying.
    The US now apparently believes that the killing of the people at the consulate was planned and not a response to the movie. It was likely planned in response to the "war on terror" to coincide with 911. Many Islamic people actually helped and tried to protect our guys in the consulate and there have been very large pro-America and anti-terror protests yesterday and today- but the western media is not telling you this, so be careful to condemn an entire religion based on the actions of some terrorists. And not to defend the behavior, but we have to remember that we (the US) continue to kill dozens of innocent Islamic people almost every single day in our war on terror, often women and infants. And even then- the vast majority of Muslims do not wish us harm.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Ralph & Alice
    Archie & Edith
    George & Louise
    Frank & Marie
    RJ & ZG

Just the latest in a long list of comedy couples. Aren't they great folks? Let's give them a big round of applause!
    Who are Frank and Marie?

I think we're more like Rob and Laura, except we don't have twin beds and we don't wear jammies...

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Who are Frank and Marie?

I think we're more like Rob and Laura, except we don't have twin beds and we don't wear jammies...
    They're the parents on Everybody Loves Raymond.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    They're the parents on Everybody Loves Raymond.
    Boy, ofos' stock just took a dive.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2005
    Annual rental registration letters are going out today. Perfect thing to do on a slow, dreary Friday.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I love being able to make payments and send out checks electronically from my credit union account. I even use it to pay my buddy for this year's fee for our fantasy football league and to send small check amounts ($2, $5, $10... ) to settle trivial bets with friends.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Boy, ofos' stock just took a dive.
    You're talking about penny stock, there's no room for diving.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    That's how they roll in Detroit.

Who died?
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    Who died?
    I cannot see the date, but when I saw that, I think it was from when somebody planted a bomb in the car of a lawyer from down in Monroe about a year ago and it blew up on I-75 or I-275 (and maybe he was from Toledo?).

edit:

Here you go, from September 22nd, 2011: In Monroe, a shocking car bombing, an unclear motive
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    A couple of mini death marches thru Naples today, including a walk on the beach. I'm attending the one and only event organized by APA -FL --- this evening's reception in downtown Naples. I kept advertising RJ's Mobile Workshops, but nobody enlisted. They missed out on some great opportunities.

We visited a neighborhood of the urber-wealthy today. These people are different from us--their tastes are over the top. Ostentatious doesn't begin to describe this neighborhood.

And ZG did not insult anybody today. I'm looking forward to getting home tomorrow. It's hot here.
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Good things percolating at work.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Had a mini-laefest with MudPrincess last night. Fun times, good conversation, and a ton of delicious Indian food!!!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I'm attending the one and only event organized by APA -FL --- this evening's reception in downtown Naples.
    That would have been way more fun for everyone involved if someone had stuck his phone in a pocket where he could feel the vibrations and know where someone else was hanging around waiting for him to leave the damn reception. There's only so much small talk you can have with the valet at the hotel you're not staying at while you're hiding from the rain and waiting for someone to answer their phone...On the other hand, I did score a beautiful red sleeveless sweater from a chic petite shop.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Had a mini-laefest with MudPrincess last night. Fun times, good conversation, and a ton of delicious Indian food!!!
    I was sad that I didn't have the time with my quick jaunt in and out of Albany last week.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Hi El Guapo!

Hi Zoning Goddess!

Hi michaelskis!

Hi Veloise!

Hi again El Guapo!

Hi Cardinal!

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Anyone up for a mini-Laefest at the APA UNY conference in Corning this week? Maybe lunch on Friday, after it's all over?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Is the Gangnam Style over yet ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Closed thread
Page 161 of 374 FirstFirst ... 151 160 161 162 171 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 31 Dec 2011, 11:53 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM