Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 162 of 374 FirstFirst ... 152 161 162 163 172 ... LastLast
Results 4,026 to 4,050 of 9327

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

The Civil War battle of Antietam was 150 years ago today -- the bloodiest day in American history ever with 23,100 killed, wounded or missing. Even D-Day wasn't as bloody. The Union victory, btw, was the impetus President Lincoln was waiting for to announce the Emancipation Proclamation.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Anyone up for a mini-Laefest at the APA UNY conference in Corning this week? Maybe lunch on Friday, after it's all over?
    I'm on the conference planning committee so I'll be there for the duration.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Last night while watching the Lions' game I sewed on a button that had loosened up and fallen off of a pair of my trousers. This morning when I went to put the pants on before work I realized I sewed the button on to the outside of the waistband when it should have gone on the inside. Oops!
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Had a mini-laefest with MudPrincess last night. Fun times, good conversation, and a ton of delicious Indian food!!!
    Yes, we had enough leftovers for three additional meals!

Glad you enjoyed it.

Registered
    Dec 2008

That's Embarassing

So the city attorney is in my office and we need to look something up but my computer is off. So, we'll just google it on my phone here...and as he's looking over my shoulder I realize that the last three google searches on my phone were:

1) How tall is Josh Hutcherson?

2) When will One Direction be coming to Salt Lake?

and....

3) pictures of Liam Hemsworth

One day I hope my daughters realize how much I love them and want to kill them at the same time.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    So the city attorney is in my office and we need to look something up but my computer is off. So, we'll just google it on my phone here...and as he's looking over my shoulder I realize that the last three google searches on my phone were:

and....

One day I hope my daughters realize how much I love them and want to kill them at the same time.
    "Your daughters" huh? Sure... sure....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post

and....

Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    "Your daughters" huh? Sure... sure....
    Is this another Man Card Issue ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    Last night while watching the Lions' game I sewed on a button that had loosened up and fallen off of a pair of my trousers. This morning when I went to put the pants on before work I realized I sewed the button on to the outside of the waistband when it should have gone on the inside. Oops!
    Oh noes!
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    Hey at least you attempted to make the repair, I pulled out a pair of pants to wear this morning only to remember I had not fixed the falling hem this weekend like I was supposed to.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I somehow smashed the my thumb between the top of my armrest on my office chair and the bottom of my desk. That was about four hours ago and it is still throbbing. Should I file a worker's compensation claim?

In other news, I was out running errands at lunch time and stopped at a Starbucks for my cup o' diabetes and saw a woman who's face was wrapped in bandages worse than the Phantom of the Opera. She was making small talk with the woman taking her order and seemed quite proud of the fact that she had just gotten a face lift and was about to go get the bandages off for the first time in a couple of weeks. I don't know what I disliked more - the fact that she had gotten a face lift or the fact that she was so open and cavalier about it. I know that probably sounds pretty old fashioned or misogynistic or something, but I just don't want to know.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post

Hi michaelskis!

If it was a stack of "Concealed Carry" next to the box and the box was full of something useful, like ammo boxes, then maybe...
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    what is this gangnam of which you of speak?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    The agenda item I have to present at tonight's Commission meeting should have been titled "Tonight's Episode of Bash the Planner in Public" Our dear elected wonders love to ridicule staff and sometimes I think they have a secret contest going on over who gets in the best demeaning statement.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    May 2004
    Today is the birthday of the US constitution!!
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    The unfortunate instance of a red wine spill into my laptop last week proved to be fatal. I had to buy a new one today...

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    The Civil War battle of Antietam was 150 years ago today -- the bloodiest day in American history ever with 23,100 killed, wounded or missing. Even D-Day wasn't as bloody. The Union victory, btw, was the impetus President Lincoln was waiting for to announce the Emancipation Proclamation.
    Front Page of USA Today -

What Antietam bloodbath teaches us about war today

Techniques first applied here by Jonathan Letterman, the Union Army's medical director, were the basis of modern battlefield medicine and a blueprint for today's civilian emergency response system.
    Oddball

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Meanwhile, in Colorado ...

Meanwhile, in Utah ...

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Random Thought Progress Report - Posts 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000, 6000, 7000, 8000, Closing # on the 31st.

# 7 - 2012 - 02-23, 05-12, 07-10, 09-12,
    # 6 - 2011 - 02-25, 04-12, 05-26, 06-30, 08-10, 10-05, 12-05, 12-31, 8,041
    # 5 - 2010 - 03-04, 05-09, 07-26, 09-22, 5,563
    # 4 - 2009 - 02-19, 04-24, 07-13, 10-07, 5,004
    # 3 - 2008 - 04-04, 07-07, 09-23, 12-22, 4,085
    # 2 - 2007 - 03-10, 05-19, 07-24, 10-11, 4,862
    adjusted by the 50 posts that were listed in #1 and posted on & after 01/01
    Oddball

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Random Thought Progress Report - Posts 1000, 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000, 6000, 7000, 8000, Closing # on the 31st.

# 7 - 2012 - 02-23, 05-12, 07-10, 09-12,
    # 6 - 2011 - 02-25, 04-12, 05-26, 06-30, 08-10, 10-05, 12-05, 12-31, 8,041
    # 5 - 2010 - 03-04, 05-09, 07-26, 09-22, 5,563
    # 4 - 2009 - 02-19, 04-24, 07-13, 10-07, 5,004
    # 3 - 2008 - 04-04, 07-07, 09-23, 12-22, 4,085
    # 2 - 2007 - 03-10, 05-19, 07-24, 10-11, 4,862
    adjusted by the 50 posts that were listed in #1 and posted on & after 01/01
    We must be in the post-peak year.... we aren't going to touch last years amazing accomplishment....

Next year we MUST try harder.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2005
    *grabs gaggle of bunnies*

*snorgles bunnies*

I almost punched the "Life is Good" mug I saw this morning.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    The agenda item I have to present at tonight's Commission meeting should have been titled "Tonight's Episode of Bash the Planner in Public" Our dear elected wonders love to ridicule staff and sometimes I think they have a secret contest going on over who gets in the best demeaning statement.
    Did you survive? I have 4 hearings tonight at my council meeting and they all can't go well.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    May 2005
    Pop Tarts are usually my breakfast of last resort if I'm running short on time in the morning. After having one this morning, I think I would prefer to just not eat anything. It's sort of like eating a big fat nothing. I need to stop buying them for my daughters. They don't eat them very often, but I just don't see the point. I nice granola bar would suffice.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Pop Tarts are usually my breakfast of last resort if I'm running short on time in the morning. After having one this morning, I think I would prefer to just not eat anything. It's sort of like eating a big fat nothing. I need to stop buying them for my daughters. They don't eat them very often, but I just don't see the point. I nice granola bar would suffice.
    Mmm. I like chocolate frosted Pop Tarts as a dessert. Growing up we only got Pop Tarts at Christmas time. My brother would grab the box and start eating them un-toasted.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    Did you survive? I have 4 hearings tonight at my council meeting and they all can't go well.
    We were belittled by 3 of them. The other 2 just sat there. This time it was because there wasn't 100% buy-in by all property owners in a SAP - 3 of 12 did not like that "they were being told what to do with their land."
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    A granola bar is just is bad in most cases. Full of fat and sugar.

Guess who won a $90,000 grant from Wells Fargo? Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I now control 25% of the entire organization's funding commitments. Not bad for a department of ONE. I need a raise. My boss is very afraid that I am going to be poached by the dark side at any moment. I should ask for that raise now.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Closed thread
Page 162 of 374 FirstFirst ... 152 161 162 163 172 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 31 Dec 2011, 11:53 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141