Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 163 of 374 FirstFirst ... 153 162 163 164 173 ... LastLast
Results 4,051 to 4,075 of 9327

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Mmm. I like chocolate frosted Pop Tarts as a dessert. Growing up we only got Pop Tarts at Christmas time. My brother would grab the box and start eating them un-toasted.
    When I was in the Marines and we were deployed to the middle of nowhere or on a ship, we always had people mail us boxes of Pop Tarts. The chocolate frosted ones and the cherry frosted ones with the little red sprinkles all over them were great snacks when cold since we never had access to toasters. They were a nice dessert to finish off a crappy meal served in the field (nobody ever liked the hot meals that the cooks would bring us in the field and we all would generally prefer MRE's but the brass always had a misguided notion that a crappy hot meal > than MRE).
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Mmm. I like chocolate frosted Pop Tarts as a dessert. Growing up we only got Pop Tarts at Christmas time. My brother would grab the box and start eating them un-toasted.
    That reminds me of the time my older sister "stole" a roll of Pillsbury Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough while my mom and I were preparing to bake cookies and locked herself in the bathroom with it.... so she could eat the raw dough.

I am soooo not in the mood for editing someone else's work (or worse, rewriting parts of it) today...

Maybe I should have a big bowl of ice cream.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Why is hate so much like love? Is that some cruel cosmic joke? Indistinguishable, fervent emotions. Clouding every decision, tangling every simple human interaction.

"I'll just explain really quickly to her how that came to be and ....wait a minute. I love her. Crap." And so it will be the full lunch hour on the phone to have what would be a three minute conversation between indifferent parties and end with me wondering about the nature of love and hate instead of prepping for council meeting tonight.

Classic.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I am facilitating a "discussion" on property maintenance tonight - got my kevlar all shined up!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    We must be in the post-peak year.... we aren't going to touch last years amazing accomplishment....

Next year we MUST try harder.
    Well, this has been something of a rebuilding year for the team. dw914 and Blide are a couple of promising newcomers to RT slackdom. But alot of the seniors graduated, and a few others went pro. The incoming freshmen are going to need some training from the more experienced post-padders/slackers, but I'm confident we'll be contenders for conference champs next year......
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Well, this has been something of a rebuilding year for the team. dw914 and Blide are a couple of promising newcomers to RT slackdom. But alot of the seniors graduated, and a few others went pro. The incoming freshmen are going to need some training from the more experienced post-padders/slackers, but I'm confident we'll be contenders for conference champs next year......
    Put me in, Coach!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Put me in, Coach!
    You're already a starter. We're talking All-American
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Good 'ol Wikipedia. Where they removed all the links to Cyburbia others added through the years, but there's an article on this.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Now there is a thread... If we had a football team of slackdom, who would be the starting 11....obviously RJ is the QB, Maister is the star RB, and JNA is the star WR. I call Left Guard!
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Now there is a thread... If we had a football team of slackdom, who would be the starting 11....obviously RJ is the QB, Maister is the star RB, and JNA is the star WR. I call Left Guard!
    Just like in Fantasy football does that mean i am on waivers?
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Nothing like being a pint-size adult and trying to wrestle a new bedskirt under a queen-size pillowtop mattress. Ranks right up there with vacuuming blinds, which I also did today.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Congrats, RJ!

Headed back shortly for a Plan Commission meeting that could be interesting in a not good way. [Cough]pillmillordinance[/Cough] and a PUD that ought to be approved but will have opposition. The local brew pub will be a pleasant relief post-meeting.
    Good luck. I'm personally preparing for an onslaught of semi-personal attacks (see Planit's posts from earlier, it will be much the same) and attempts by elected officials to violate the 14th amendment rights of a citizen because she is a "bad neighbor". Kill me now.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Tonight I've got a joint city council and planning commission workshop on our proposed walking and biking plan, followed by a planning commission hearing on a subdivision proposed by someone who is trying to force the city to buy the land he is subdividing (in order to drive up the value). I see some scotch in my future. Oh, and Mrs. Otis is out of town (she's near Rochester for a week) and the dog will need walking soon. Before I can get home. I see paper towels in my future. And more scotch.

I love my job.
    I love my job.
    I love my job.
    I love my job.
    I love my job.

Can you say burned out, boys and girls?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    AIB
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    The Civil War battle of Antietam .
    The Most Desperate Battle Ever Fought:
    http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...e-ever-fought/

==================================================================================================

Nerd Alert

Warp Drive May Be More Feasible Than Thought, Scientists Say

Space.com - ‎Sep 17, 2012‎ by Clara Moskowitz, HOUSTON —
    A warp drive to achieve faster-than-light travel — a concept popularized in television's Star Trek — may not be as unrealistic as once thought, scientists say.
    http://www.space.com/17628-warp-driv...aceflight.html
    Last edited by JNA; 18 Sep 2012 at 9:01 PM.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2004

Manning the Booth - it's College Night at the High Schools

Anyone else ever man the booth for your Alma Mater at college night?

This is my second year doing it as a volunteer alum. Most of the time it's fun, with the chance to talk to reps from different schools around your booth, meeting students, and seeing the parents. I've done two already this week, with a big one tonight - all of Dallas ISD in one place. It's huge!!! I did it last year and we ran out of materials and had lots of inquiries about specific programs.

But man! My feet are tired! Standing on gym or cafeteria floors for 2 - 3 hours, no chairs, it's warm and you can't leave the area because the rules of the event. Tonight will be the longest one so far. So tomorrow night, I'm going straight home from work, putting my feet up, and having a beer. I've earned it!!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    In the immortal words of one Jimmy Buffet:
    "I just want to live happily ever after every now and then."
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Is coffee and Cyburbia subsidizing 47 % of you this morning ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Is coffee and Cyburbia subsidizing 47 % of you this morning ?
    Coke, and barely, but still.....

So as the council opted not to violate the applicant's 14th amendment rights directly last night, instead they did so by tabling the item for an in-depth legal review without allowing me even to speak or present. I have never been muzzled before. I am trying to pinpoint this feeling. I'm not sure, but I think it might be anger. That's new for me. I would not hug a single one of them if they were here right now.

In other news, I just ate my lunch for breakfast.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    Coke, and barely, but still.....

So as the council opted not to violate the applicant's 14th amendment rights directly last night, instead they did so by tabling the item for an in-depth legal review without allowing me even to speak or present. I have never been muzzled before. I am trying to pinpoint this feeling. I'm not sure, but I think it might be anger. That's new for me. I would not hug a single one of them if they were here right now.

The 5 Stages of Grief.

Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression and Acceptance.

Denial - I used to think that if only elected officials were supplied with facts and rationale, that they would make the right decision.

Anger - I then became angry that they voted how they did.

Bargaining - After anger, I began bargaining. It's OK if you do this, just let me have this one victory.

Depression - I no longer bargain. I just let them do what they want. I'm currently in a depression stage.

Acceptance - I haven't yet accepted that I still have 9 more years until my pension is vested.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    .... I would not hug a single one of them if they were here right now.
    Wow, if that isn't a searing condemnation, I don't know what is. A more bitter utterance has not been heard before from The Ursine One

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Don't you hate it when people name drop while they are trying to get their way?

Random dude: "oh, i know so and so, he is the VP of fill in the blank title company, western division. He said it was illegal for the County to tax sale the property."

me: Umm, no, they can sell the property as is, its a tax sale. They are selling the property to collect back taxes. They can care less if the structures are legal or not.

Random dude: "Do you know the VP? No. I do. He said it was illegal."

me: "Does you VP know subdivision map act, a binding state law of legal lot creation here in the state of California?" Well, i do, and it is one a handful of ways to legally create a lot without a subdivision map."

Random dude: "Well he is the VP, he knows people."

me: "I know people, too...they are called my City Attorneys..."
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    The 5 Stages of Grief.

Denial, Anger, Bargaining, Depression and Acceptance.

Denial - I used to think that if only elected officials were supplied with facts and rationale, that they would make the right decision.

Anger - I then became angry that they voted how they did.

Bargaining - After anger, I began bargaining. It's OK if you do this, just let me have this one victory.

Depression - I no longer bargain. I just let them do what they want. I'm currently in a depression stage.

Acceptance - I haven't yet accepted that I still have 9 more years until my pension is vested.
    I think you just moved me all the way from "Anger" to "Depression". Bargaining sounds sweaty and talky.

Registered
    May 2004

My dog ate cat poop for breakfast.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    Dogs are funny. Cat poop is funny. If you add monkeys and passing gas to this statement I will giggle and giggle and probably wet myself. I'm only telling you in case you want to do that and imagine me giggling and giggling and wetting myself a little. You know, just in case.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    Our dog just can't wait to get out in the yard to see what our cat and the neighborhood cats have left her. Our cat's disdain for the dog increases daily.

"You really aren't going to ate that, are you?"

"Yup."

"I can't believe I have to live in the basement because of Einstein here."
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Closed thread
Page 163 of 374 FirstFirst ... 153 162 163 164 173 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 31 Dec 2011, 11:53 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM