Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 164 of 374 FirstFirst ... 154 163 164 165 174 ... LastLast
Results 4,076 to 4,100 of 9327

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Apparently, only cool cities are worthy of 3D images in Apple's new mas app in iOS 6. 3D for Austin, Portland and Seattle. No 3D for Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh or Buffalo.

Sacramento. 3D. Rochester. No 3D.

Denver. 3D. Minneapolis. No 3D.

Boston. 3D. Baltimore. No 3D

Figures.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2002
    After reading the paper and seeing the disgusting and heartbreaking crimes people commit, and admit to, I think I'm starting to lean toward accepting the death penalty. Or at the very least an "eye for an eye" type of situation. First, because I just can't get over the heinous things people do to other people, and second, it pisses me off that I have to support these people who are in jail for the rest of their lives.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner View post
    After reading the paper and seeing the disgusting and heartbreaking crimes people commit, and admit to, I think I'm starting to lean toward accepting the death penalty. Or at the very least an "eye for an eye" type of situation. First, because I just can't get over the heinous things people do to other people, and second, it pisses me off that I have to support these people who are in jail for the rest of their lives.
    I'm 99% against the death penalty.

I reserve the 1% for child sexual predators or for those who torture/severely physically abuse children.

I'm not a religious person, but I've always liked the quote "Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.”

People who abuse children are the lowest form of life.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner View post
    I don't support the death penalty (with two exceptions: cowardice under fire; and, treason against the United States) but it's actually cheaper to house an inmate for the rest of their lives than to execute one, given all the appeals that are involved in capital punishment. If I had my druthers, however, those convicted of heinous crimes would be punished by a life sentence that is truly miserable: no recreation, no media, no contact outside an annual visit, etc. Rot in prison, in other words.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    I don't support the death penalty (with two exceptions: cowardice under fire; and, treason against the United States) but it's actually cheaper to house an inmate for the rest of their lives than to execute one, given all the appeals that are involved in capital punishment. If I had my druthers, however, those convicted of heinous crimes would be punished by a life sentence that is truly miserable: no recreation, no media, no contact outside an annual visit, etc. Rot in prison, in other words.
    Pretty much sums up my reasons for being anti-death penalty...particularly the cost impacts.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I always chuckle when the old folks I work with send me emails with things like "thx" or "pls" or those little tiny smiley faces that Outlook can add in for you. Besides the fact that I find it unprofessional, it also just amuses me that old folks (and I am using the designation "old" rather liberally) know about these things.

Next, the quadragenarians in my office are going to start using text messages!
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I'm 99% against the death penalty.

I reserve the 1% for child sexual predators or for those who torture/severely physically abuse children.

I'm not a religious person, but I've always liked the quote "Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.”

People who abuse children are the lowest form of life.
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    I'm willing to spend more money to execute these people than to keep them for life in prison. The horrible thing, is that the predators I've identified above often never serve life sentences for their crimes.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I'm willing to spend more money to execute these people than to keep them for life in prison.
    Same here. Historically, I have never supported the death penalty, but I fully admit my post was completely emotional, having read what a father was found guilty for doing to his 15 week old daughter. Literally had tears streaming down my face and wanted to vomit. And then reading about juvenile lifers, most of which show little to no remorse for their crimes alot of which included torturing and murdering other peope. So whether I would support it tomorrow or next week, who knows, but after reading the paper this morning, today I do.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    TIL the word "plan" is pronounced with two syllables in upstate New York.

Don't hear much flat-a Northern Vowel Shift in Hippie Valley.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Sacramento. 3D.

Figures.
    Y U bustin' sactown's chops yo.. it b my hood
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I love the smell of vitriol in the morning.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Crap. I forgot all about Ten Things Thursday today, and now I have to make dinner and go to a meeting.

The upside is

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    #1 Crap. #2 I forgot all about Ten Things Thursday today, and #3 now I have to make dinner and #4 go to a meeting.

#5 The upside is
    Five down, five to go. Easy peasy.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I've been bummed out all day. My brother called this morning to let me know our favorite cousin died unexpectedly last night. I took the highly unusual step of imbibing a daiquiri at 1:30 on a weekday (non-vacation) afternoon.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    I've been bummed out all day. My brother called this morning to let me know our favorite cousin died unexpectedly last night. I took the highly unusual step of imbibing a daiquiri at 1:30 on a weekday (non-vacation) afternoon.
    So sorry to hear that. I only have a handful of cousins, and I'd be bummed, too, if I got that phone call. Hope the daiquiri helped, and I will send positive thoughts your way.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Called my go-to guy over at the city yesterday to check the status on a couple of things. I received an email reply to call after 5 that there were too many ears around. I sent him a text message asking if he preferred cocktails over a phone call. It's amazing how much business gets done over two cocktails and good tapas.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    Called my go-to guy over at the city yesterday to check the status on a couple of things. I received an email reply to call after 5 that there were too many ears around. I sent him a text message asking if he preferred cocktails over a phone call. It's amazing how much business gets done over two cocktails and good tapas.
    Nice how you turned that wish for diet rum and coke into reality. Going to expense it?

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Nice how you turned that wish for diet rum and coke into reality. Going to expense it?
    I'm telling you, she has rocked her whole week. She'll probably expense it and they'll say "You know, we should just pay you more while we're at it....
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Powerpoint Tip #43: please, don't do this, unless you're giving a presentation to a group of young Air Force pilots.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Where is everyone today... you would think it is Friday afternoon.... geez....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Powerpoint Tip #43: please, don't do this, unless you're giving a presentation to a group of young Air Force pilots.

It's a "slide-u-ment"!
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jul 2007
    So I went with my BF early this morning to stand in line at my local AT&T store for a new phone and well...since I was there, I got one too! Pretty cool so far, wish I wasn't at work so I could play with a little more.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    So I went with my BF early this morning to stand in line at my local AT&T store for a new phone and well...since I was there, I got one too! Pretty cool so far, wish I wasn't at work so I could play with a little more.
    How were you able to find your way back to the office with the new maps that reportedly don't really work?
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    How were you able to find your way back to the office with the new maps that reportedly don't really work?

I haven't tried the map feature yet... and no one here knows I was late because of the iphone, cough, cough.

Hey I'm working all next week and spending 3 days at our state conference out of town. I'll need that iphone for my trip!
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post

I haven't tried the map feature yet... and no one here knows I was late because of the iphone, cough, cough.

Hey I'm working all next week and spending 3 days at our state conference out of town. I'll need that iphone for my trip!
    Does it seem to be that much better than the 4? I need a new one but I'm not sure I wanna spring for the adapters
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Closed thread
Page 164 of 374 FirstFirst ... 154 163 164 165 174 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 31 Dec 2011, 11:53 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141