Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 170 of 374 FirstFirst ... 160 169 170 171 180 ... LastLast
Results 4,226 to 4,250 of 9327

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner View post
    Would it be weird to send a random "Your house is looking great, thanks for the work you've done on it" note to a stanger? Would you be weirded out if you got one? There is a small community at the halfway point between home and work, and all the last month or two I've watched work being done on a very old house - scraping, painting, siding replacement, and now painting. It's slow going, but they are doing it themselves and doing a great job. I'm somewhat tempted to send a quick note just to say that it looks great, but worry that'd be kind of creepy.
    Funny... we just got one of those on Monday. We only have the front of our house finished, but it gives our neighbors hope.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    May 2004
    waca waca
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    I don't think it would be creepy if you preface your note with a statement about how you frequently pass the house and have admired the work being done, or something to that effect. You're not asking for anything or making any assumptions; you're giving someone an unsolicited compliment. You might even make someone's day.
    Second! Just don't accompany the note with any weird trinkets or suspicious items
    Last edited by Gedunker; 03 Oct 2012 at 3:57 PM.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    Second! Just don't accompany the note with any weird trinkets or suspicious items

I think this calls for a split thread of what a "suspicious trinket" is - as in a horse's bloody head kind of thing or a monopoly piece? a dead rose or a coffee mug (taken from your house)?

Registered
    Feb 1998

The note should end with: "Do you have a permit for all this work?"

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    I don't think it would be creepy if you preface your note with a statement about how you frequently pass the house and have admired the work being done, or something to that effect. You're not asking for anything or making any assumptions; you're giving someone an unsolicited compliment. You might even make someone's day.
    Definately no little trinkets or white powder, that wouldn't be any fun because I couldn't watch them open it

Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee
    The note should end with: "Do you have a permit for all this work?"
    I don't care if they have permits or if it will raise their taxes, just that it looks good. It's enough for me to get my lawn mowed, landscape, trip trees, etc. and so I truly appreciate the work going into it. That was nice that you got one for the work on your house Michaelskis!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I don't care if they have permits or if it will raise their taxes, just that it looks good. It's enough for me to get my lawn mowed, landscape, trip trees, etc. and so I truly appreciate the work going into it. That was nice that you got one for the work on your house Michaelskis!
    We had a note and several people make comments as they were walking by. I just wish I could get more done before winter, but it just is not going to happen. Besides, I am going to need to rent the bucket lift again to get a section of an upper gable on the side of the house. I also need to figure out if I can put scaffolding on top of a sloped roof.

If you look closely at the photo on Facebook, permit is in the front window!
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

I would!

Would it be weird to send a random "Your house is looking great, thanks for the work you've done on it" note to a stanger? Would you be weirded out if you got one? There is a small community at the halfway point between home and work, and all the last month or two I've watched work being done on a very old house - scraping, painting, siding replacement, and now painting. It's slow going, but they are doing it themselves and doing a great job. I'm somewhat tempted to send a quick note just to say that it looks great, but worry that'd be kind of creepy.
    Several years back, the two gentlemen creating a home & garden shoppe in a nearby retail district took over the corner vacant lot, and added holiday lighting to a conifer. They left the lights up through March (several holidays; this ain't the "war on Xmas"). I whipped up a thank-you, slid it under their door.

Builds community, makes people feel good. You don't have to stop or bring cookies, but do share the good wishes.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I will have 400 less updates a day on my Facebook news feed once the election is over. It is amazing how much people share their views.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    I will have 400 less updates a day on my Facebook news feed once the election is over. It is amazing how much people share their views.
    I know...seriously, I really like to vote on election day, but there is early voting where I work so I am tempted to early vote just so I can tune it all out!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    I know...seriously, I really like to vote on election day, but there is early voting where I work so I am tempted to early vote just so I can tune it all out!
    I wish there was such a switch that if you have voted you won't have to be assulted by political advertisements, robo-calls, et cetera. Ahhh Uptopia!?!?!?!
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    I wish there was such a switch that if you have voted you won't have to be assulted by political advertisements, robo-calls, et cetera. Ahhh Uptopia!?!?!?!
    I would sign up for that too.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    May 2005
    I like Pink. I would pay to see her in concert.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    You don't live in Ohio. That is all I have to say.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Living in urban North Carolina is just as bad....

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Tell me about it, living in a swing state we are assaulted on all fronts - plus throw in a governors race on top of it.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I have never lived in NC so I can't compare. But I can't imagine it is as bad as we have been getting it this year. I can't believe that anyone could be as bad as we are getting it this year.

I get more calls (I am on the do not call list) than ever before. My TV is a larger percentage of political ads than actual TV shows. And the candidates have been in my State at least once a week for the last month, which leads to the newspapers and local TV stations keeping stories going about candidates even when I want to watch about a local lady who is against the Starbucks going in....

Ugh.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    My wife loves Pink. When she is listening to Pink around the house and singing along I find her 76% more attractive than normal. You don't want to know why I am able to quantify that so precisely.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Try NH. Not only do we get the whole battleground status for the general...but we have to endure the primary process every 4 years as well...and the advertising for the primary tends to get earlier and earlier every cycle. The general actually seems like less presidential advertising than the primary does (especially when you typically have many candidates at the same time rather than the two "finalists" in the general).
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I don't know much about her or any of her songs but I did see her singing while suspended in the air upside down once on tv. That was pretty cool, and I imagine its quite difficult to sing well while upside down and suspended in the air.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    My wife loves Pink. When she is listening to Pink around the house and singing along I find her 76% more attractive than normal.
    Aww, that is really cute! I'm not going to ask about the other part.

Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner View post
    Try NH. Not only do we get the whole battleground status for the general...but we have to endure the primary process every 4 years as well...and the advertising for the primary tends to get earlier and earlier every cycle. The general actually seems like less presidential advertising than the primary does (especially when you typically have many candidates at the same time rather than the two "finalists" in the general).
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    Tell me about it, living in a swing state we are assaulted on all fronts - plus throw in a governors race on top of it.
    While on one hand I feel fortunate to be spared a lot of the propaganda, on the other hand it's frustrating to live in a state where it feels like my vote won't matter. Seems like the most of the states "don't matter" in this election cycle. More and more reason to abolish the electoral college!

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by terraplnr View post
    Aww, that is really cute! I'm not going to ask about the other part.

It's better not to know.

While on one hand I feel fortunate to be spared a lot of the propaganda, on the other hand it's frustrating to live in a state where it feels like my vote won't matter. Seems like the most of the states "don't matter" in this election cycle. More and more reason to abolish the electoral college!
    I am right there with you. No ads around here. I'm voting for that Big Bird guy they mentioned last night. He taught me to read. And I'm not joking. I really think he taught me to read and I get a tear in my eye when I see a picture of him and remember how... Dammit. Now I'm crying.

Anyway, kids, it's important *sniff* to vote...and stuff.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    I don't know much about her or any of her songs but I did see her singing while suspended in the air upside down once on tv.
    Why were you suspended upside down on tv? I didn't misread that, did I?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    My wife loves Pink. When she is listening to Pink around the house and singing along I find her 76% more attractive than normal.
    My wife feels the same way when I sing "Dirty Old Town." (Not The Pogue version - my teeth are in a lot better shape. )
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    I am right there with you. No ads around here. Anyway, kids, it's important *sniff* to vote...and stuff.
    Same here, the only ads we get are on the cable stations that are broadcast nationwide. I've only seen the ads on one of the cable stations
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Closed thread
Page 170 of 374 FirstFirst ... 160 169 170 171 180 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 31 Dec 2011, 11:53 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141