Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 171 of 374 FirstFirst ... 161 170 171 172 181 ... LastLast
Results 4,251 to 4,275 of 9327

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    In a very blue county in a blue state: no Obama, Romney or PAC ads, except on the cable channels. No lawn signs. A lot of Obama bumper stickers. There's occasional ads for one of the Senate seats.

One of my friends in Cleveland yesterday told me that they're bombarded with television and radio ads. She's a left-wing Democrat, but she gets a call every couple of days from various Republican groups; all with names like "American Enterprise Heritage" or "American Heritage Enterprise".
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    I don't know much about her or any of her songs but I did see her singing while suspended in the air upside down once on tv. That was pretty cool, and I imagine its quite difficult to sing well while upside down and suspended in the air.
    Pffft... that's nothing. Rick Allen from Def Leppard plays the drums suspended upside down in the air... and the drummer from Def Leppard's only got one arm!
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    In a very blue county in a blue state: no Obama, Romney or PAC ads, except on the cable channels. No lawn signs. A lot of Obama bumper stickers. There's occasional ads for one of the Senate seats.

One of my friends in Cleveland yesterday told me that they're bombarded with television and radio ads. She's a left-wing Democrat, but she gets a call every couple of days from various Republican groups; all with names like "American Enterprise Heritage" or "American Heritage Enterprise".
    <ahem> Mods- isn't it time for a thread split or is the mad splitter having an off day?
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    I got Robo-called the other night from a group calling themselves something similar to what Dan stated. They hung up on me after 3 questions:

If the election was today, who would you vote for? Press 1 for Mitt Romney and 2 for Barack Obama
    Would you say you would definitely vote for your candidate or just probably vote for your candidate? Press 1 for definitly and 2 for probably
    Do you think you would change your mind in the 6 weeks before the election based on increased information? Press 1 for yes and 2 for no
    Click
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    This summer I bought a thing called a dropcam. It is a wifi enabled internet security camera that has two way audio. It was nice to yell at the dog to get off the couch after the wife and boys left for the library.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Yeah, they always have these ridiculous names that are deliberately generic, so you couldn't possibly disagree with them... or have any clue who they represent: e.g., Americans for America, Parents for a Brighter Future, Citizens for Prosperity and Good Government, the Freedom Project, Make Us Great Again, etc. (These are all real, by the way.)

Here you go, generate the name of a SuperPAC automatically! SuperPAC Name Game

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I just feel like getting drunk and listening to metallica tonight

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    I just feel like getting drunk and listening to metallica tonight
    whats stopping you ? not Cyburbia ?
    Last edited by JNA; 04 Oct 2012 at 8:42 PM.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by terraplnr View post
    Iíve been thinking of converting my desk to a stand up desk somehow. Has anyone done that? Ideally something that can fairly easily be switched back and forth between sitting and standing. I just realized the other day that I have 30+ years to retirement and if Iím sitting down that whole time, my backside wonít fit into the hover-wheelchair or whatever they have by then.
    My mom has a trek desk in her home office. I was trying to talk my boss into letting me get one. Hmm, now that I'm technically the boss maybe I can...
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Treadmill desk

Quote Originally posted by terraplnr View post
    Iíve been thinking of converting my desk to a stand up desk somehow. Has anyone done that? Ideally something that can fairly easily be switched back and forth between sitting and standing. I just realized the other day that I have 30+ years to retirement and if Iím sitting down that whole time, my backside wonít fit into the hover-wheelchair or whatever they have by then.
    A few links:
    http://www.treadmill-desk.com/

http://store.steelcase.com/products/sit-to-walkstation/
    Made in GR, overpriced!

DIY
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Fanc...readmill-Desk/

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-...desk/?ALLSTEPS

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I am excited to slack today. I think I am going to put most my effort into this idea.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    whats stopping you ? not Cyburbia ?
    Sure, we're constantly reminding people to be more responsible.

Hink, wipe that f'ing stupid grin off your face!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, ďWhere are you from?Ē doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Sure, we're constantly reminding people to be more responsible.

Hink, wipe that f'ing stupid grin off your face!
    No officer, I didn't know I was going that fast. I am responsible, I would never do that....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    I am excited to slack today. I think I am going to put most my effort into this idea.
    I would love to slack today but instead I have too much to do. I stupidly agreed to help teach a class at the local uni. I thought it would just be the typical tell us about being a planner in city gov't and about smart growth and sustainability. Instead I'll be leading a 2hr class on IT leadership and management.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    I would love to slack today but instead I have too much to do. I stupidly agreed to help teach a class at the local uni. I thought it would just be the typical tell us about being a planner in city gov't and about smart growth and sustainability. Instead I'll be leading a 2hr class on IT leadership and management.
    Never volunteer for ANYTHING on Friday. Unless I am volun-told, I always say thanks, but no thanks on the days that touch the weekend. I hope you get out by 5.... good luck

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Office bake sale day! woot! woot!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    It is a beautiful crisp autumn morning round these parts

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Does anyone have any recommendations for free or cheap management software? I will be leading at least 4 simultaneous and similar projects the next year and am looking for some organization tools to keep each one separate in my mind. Looking for deadlines, tracking, and communication timelines if available.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I will be leaving cold and snowy Colorado for Phoenix and the ICMA Conference this afternoon.
    If anyone is heading there and would like to buy me a beer or whiskey, shoot me a PM.

Thanks,

ZMan

Oh! And hello again, Cyburbia...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    Does anyone have any recommendations for free or cheap management software? I will be leading at least 4 simultaneous and similar projects the next year and am looking for some organization tools to keep each one separate in my mind. Looking for deadlines, tracking, and communication timelines if available.
    How to Use Google Calendar as a Project Management Tool

Planbox - free for one or two users.

If you have a Web hosting account (Hostgator, Dreamhost and the like have cheap basic plans), there's some decent open source project management and collaboration tools.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by zman View post
    I will be leaving cold and snowy Colorado for Phoenix and the ICMA Conference this afternoon.
    If anyone is heading there and would like to buy me a beer or whiskey, shoot me a PM.

Thanks,

ZMan

Oh! And hello again, Cyburbia...
    Always nice when you "Seagull In" and say hello... Wish I was going to Phoenix to the ICMA with you big-wig types....

ON another note, I wanted you all to know that at 3:30 a.m. when I let Dr. Leo Marvin out to do his business, the moonlight in my backyard was stunning. Truly stunning. And I had nobody to share it with but Leo.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner View post
    Office bake sale day! woot! woot!
    I am so envious! Hmm, I am driving to a city today, so maybe I can hit one of the local bakeries.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    Asana. I use it only for stuff at home, but love it.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    Never volunteer for ANYTHING on Friday. Unless I am volun-told, I always say thanks, but no thanks on the days that touch the weekend. I hope you get out by 5.... good luck
    Well, turns out I am now really prepared for this class. After staying up late and sweating about my presentation I arrived at the classroom only to find out that no one was there. Turns out I was mistakenly given the wrong date (Nov. 5th not Oct. 5th). Other than the anxiety no real problem and now I have a free Friday afternoon. Too bad I'm one of the few actually here today so I can't sneak out...

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I'd love to know how exactly flight prices work. They don't necessarily get more expensive as the date of travel comes closer. Bought a one way ticket from Chicago to Buffalo last night ($98, which seems as low as they go for these days) for Thanksgiving morning, but think I'll keep checking back to see if return flights get any cheaper.

Closed thread
Page 171 of 374 FirstFirst ... 161 170 171 172 181 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 01 Jan 2014, 12:58 AM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 01 Jan 2012, 12:53 AM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 01 Jan 2009, 12:43 AM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 7:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141