Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 173 of 374 FirstFirst ... 163 172 173 174 183 ... LastLast
Results 4,301 to 4,325 of 9327

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

  1. #4301
    Cyburbian dandy_warhol's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Location
    meh.
    Posts
    8,339
    At October's staff meeting I mentioned that there may be some funds available to pay out people's comp time at the end of the year. Interestingly enough the comp time accruals have increased since that announcement.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

  2. #4302
    Cyburbian HomerJ's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2010
    Location
    I'm gettin' there
    Posts
    939
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Sun going down. Night meeting. Comp plan.[/IMG]
    Sounds like the opening line for the next hit graphic novel...we just need a planner who sounds like Rorschach.
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

  3. #4303
    Cyburbian WSU MUP Student's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Lowering the PCI in the Hills
    Posts
    5,776
    Quote Originally posted by HomerJ View post
    Sounds like the opening line for the next hit graphic novel...we just need a planner who sounds like Rorschach.
    Have you never talked to Dandy on the telephone?
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

  4. #4304
    Cyburbian dandy_warhol's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Location
    meh.
    Posts
    8,339
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    Have you never talked to Dandy on the telephone?
    *coughs up hairball*

    All better now.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

  5. #4305
    Cyburbian Planit's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Posts
    7,319
    The coolness in the weather prompted the cooking of a big pot of "Daddy's Chilli" for dinner last night. Boy was that good!


    Had a phone call survey last night and I almost hung up on the guy thinking it was a political opinion thing. Turned out to be something about natural gas and heating. I felt sorry for the guy so I went ahead and answered his questions. At the end I asked him if he was having fun. He replied, "honestly not really" and then thanked me for going through the entire survey.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

  6. #4306
    Chairman of the bored Maister's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my 15 minute break
    Posts
    18,169
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    Sun going down. Night meeting. Comp plan.
    Quote Originally posted by HomerJ View post
    Sounds like the opening line for the next hit graphic novel...we just need a planner who sounds like Rorschach.
    I'm thinking there's gotta be a thread idea here somewhere...maybe 'The terse random thoughts prose' thread or something along those lines. Hmmmmm...help me out here.....

    Good idea. Make it happen. Others contribute.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

  7. #4307
    Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Location
    in a meeting
    Posts
    8,613
    hey I'm back if you noted my absence

    I was psyched I went to my chapter conference as I was nervous about going as I knew I would see folks I hadn't seen in over a year and wasn't sure how that was going to go but it was great, got and gave some good support and even filled in as a last minute speaker

    then went to see me mum with my eldest and had alot of fun

    now I am blue with a to do list too long for being away and no money because it all went to driving all over the northeast - ah well

    and I ate too much so I need a new after work routine - likely my yoga and weight training apps as I am not a fan of biking at night

    back to randomness...

  8. #4308
    Cyburbian Planit's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Posts
    7,319
    Just got another lovely kick to the crotch from the BOC. There is no pleasing these people.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

  9. #4309
    Cyburbian WSU MUP Student's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Lowering the PCI in the Hills
    Posts
    5,776
    I was just randomly complemented on my outfit today from a woman I work with. That's always a nice ego-booster.



    _____________________________________________________________________



    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Just got another lovely kick to the crotch from the BOC. There is no pleasing these people.
    For Planit:

    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

  10. #4310
    Cyburbian imaplanner's avatar
    Registered
    May 2004
    Location
    Snarkville
    Posts
    6,593
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Just got another lovely kick to the crotch from the BOC. There is no pleasing these people.
    Kicking people in the crotch is pleasing to some people.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

  11. #4311
    Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Location
    De Noc
    Posts
    18,164
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Just got another lovely kick to the crotch from the BOC. There is no pleasing these people.
    Living / experiencing The Police's Synchronicity

    And every so called meeting with his so called superior
    Is a humiliating kick in the crotch
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)


    Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

  12. #4312
    Cyburbian Plus Zoning Goddess's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 1999
    Location
    400 miles from Orlando
    Posts
    13,776
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    Kicking people in the crotch is pleasing to some people.
    I have some empathy for that tonight.

  13. #4313
    OH....IO Hink's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hang on Sloopy...land
    Posts
    10,090
    When I get to visit new businesses and try their food, I usually like my job for that day....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

  14. #4314
    Cyburbian michaelskis's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Posts
    12,751

    Conflicting information overload!

    #&@#$^


    I don’t know what to believe anymore. I just read two reports regarding the insulation of old houses in the Midwest. Both scientific studies from reputable agencies, but they are totally conflicting. One says that you should insulate the exterior walls of historic homes with foam insulation; the other says do not put any insulation what so ever in the walls. The no insulation claims that the air needs to flow to dry the studs because the heat difference causes moisture to condensate in the bays. However, the other report says that the r-value of the insulation actually minimizes any condensation while improving energy efficacy of the structure.

    Part of me wants to say F-it, and spray foam my kitchen walls when we do our kitchen update. Our goal is to get our house to be as energy efficient as possible and as comfortable as possible while continuing to maintain the historic character of the house.

    Sometimes I wish I had an engineering degree with a specialty in residential construction thermodynamics.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

  15. #4315
    Cyburbian WSU MUP Student's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Lowering the PCI in the Hills
    Posts
    5,776
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    #&@#$^


    I don’t know what to believe anymore. I just read two reports regarding the insulation of old houses in the Midwest. Both scientific studies from reputable agencies, but they are totally conflicting. One says that you should insulate the exterior walls of historic homes with foam insulation; the other says do not put any insulation what so ever in the walls. The no insulation claims that the air needs to flow to dry the studs because the heat difference causes moisture to condensate in the bays. However, the other report says that the r-value of the insulation actually minimizes any condensation while improving energy efficacy of the structure.

    Part of me wants to say F-it, and spray foam my kitchen walls when we do our kitchen update. Our goal is to get our house to be as energy efficient as possible and as comfortable as possible while continuing to maintain the historic character of the house.

    Sometimes I wish I had an engineering degree with a specialty in residential construction thermodynamics.
    FWIW, my parents have a farmhouse that is pushing 140 years old. When we moved in (mid-1980s) there was zero insulation anywhere. My dad had the foam insulation blown into the attics and walls (the loose type) and then a few years later wrapped the house in Tyvek when they were replacing the wood siding. That was 20+ years ago and they've never had a problem with moisture buildup, condensation, or anything like that. Blown insulation and spray foam insulation is still pretty porous and a house that age probably has so many other sources of fresh air circulation that I cannot imagine it becoming a problem.

    I had always associated problems of lack of circulation more with houses built in the 1990s and early 2000s that were wrapped up and insulated so tightly and so climate controlled that no air ever moved around inside and nobody ever opened a window to actually let in fresh air.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

  16. #4316
    Cyburbian imaplanner's avatar
    Registered
    May 2004
    Location
    Snarkville
    Posts
    6,593
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    FWIW, my parents have a farmhouse that is pushing 140 years old. When we moved in (mid-1980s) there was zero insulation anywhere. My dad had the foam insulation blown into the attics and walls (the loose type) and then a few years later wrapped the house in Tyvek when they were replacing the wood siding. That was 20+ years ago and they've never had a problem with moisture buildup, condensation, or anything like that. Blown insulation and spray foam insulation is still pretty porous and a house that age probably has so many other sources of fresh air circulation that I cannot imagine it becoming a problem.
    .
    Yes, but what about the cluster flies?
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

  17. #4317
    Cyburbian michaelskis's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Posts
    12,751
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I had always associated problems of lack of circulation more with houses built in the 1990s and early 2000s that were wrapped up and insulated so tightly and so climate controlled that no air ever moved around inside and nobody ever opened a window to actually let in fresh air.
    Our goal is to get it that tight, but also have a heat recovery ventilation system installed too.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

  18. #4318
    Cyburbian dandy_warhol's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Location
    meh.
    Posts
    8,339
    I think everyone should know a Ray-Ray that they can reference in casual conversation.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

  19. #4319
    Cyburbian WSU MUP Student's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Lowering the PCI in the Hills
    Posts
    5,776
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    Yes, but what about the cluster flies?
    There is little we can do but swat them.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

  20. #4320
    Cyburbian Mud Princess's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Upstate
    Posts
    4,869
    Don't you hate when you buy something on a whim because "it's only a few dollars," only to discover after you get home and look at the receipt that the item cost twice as much?

    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    I think everyone should know a Ray-Ray that they can reference in casual conversation.
    Say what?

  21. #4321
    Cyburbian dandy_warhol's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Location
    meh.
    Posts
    8,339
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    Don't you hate when you buy something on a whim because "it's only a few dollars," only to discover after you get home and look at the receipt that the item cost twice as much?



    Say what?

    "So my friend Ray-Ray once got a great deal on a chainsaw at a garage sale only to get it home and have it blow black smoke. Ray-Ray damn near lost a finger."
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

  22. #4322
    OH....IO Hink's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hang on Sloopy...land
    Posts
    10,090
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    "So my friend Ray-Ray once got a great deal on a chainsaw at a garage sale only to get it home and have it blow black smoke. Ray-Ray damn near lost a finger."
    My neighbor Ray-Ray, you know the guy with the scooter, well he was telling me that California is just one earthquake away from falling off the United States. Ray-Ray would know too, his dad was an astronaut.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

  23. #4323
    Cyburbian imaplanner's avatar
    Registered
    May 2004
    Location
    Snarkville
    Posts
    6,593
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    There is little we can do but swat them.
    I knew you would get that one.

    On another note, the Story Take 2 is going full on crazy alliteration right now. Not... sure... if.... I...can... step... up... to ... plate....
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

  24. #4324
    Chairman of the bored Maister's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my 15 minute break
    Posts
    18,169
    So anyway, Ray Ray started telling me the other day that valence electrons can determine an element's chemical properties, but then his cell phone rang. Turns out his ex-gf got knocked up and now she's claiming its his and is suing him for child support!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

  25. #4325
    Cyburbian Otis's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Upper left edge
    Posts
    3,885
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    So anyway, Ray Ray started telling me the other day that valence electrons can determine an element's chemical properties, but then his cell phone rang. Turns out his ex-gf got knocked up and now she's claiming its his and is suing him for child support!
    I don't always knock up my girlfriends, but when I do I always pay child support. Screw safely, my friend.

Closed thread
Page 173 of 374 FirstFirst ... 163 172 173 174 183 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

  1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 01 Jan 2014, 12:58 AM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 01 Jan 2012, 12:53 AM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 01 Jan 2009, 12:43 AM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 7:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141
    Last post: 03 Jan 2007, 6:27 PM