Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 176 of 374 FirstFirst ... 166 175 176 177 186 ... LastLast
Results 4,376 to 4,400 of 9327

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

  1. #4376
    Cyburbian ursus's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Northern Utah
    Posts
    3,986
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    I have a horrible case of the Mondays.
    I started out with the Mondays, but then....

    I was making Addie's (7) lunch this morning and asked her if she wanted a different sandwich. Last year it was chicken salad. This year it's "Salvation Salve" (my mom used to make it, it's just butter, peanut butter and honey mixed up together.) She said "No, salvation salve please." I asked her why she didn't want something different, or school lunch or whatever.

    Her answer: "Because at lunch when I eat my sandwich, it feels like you are hugging me."

    I don't deserve that kid. I really don't.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

  2. #4377
    OH....IO Hink's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hang on Sloopy...land
    Posts
    10,127
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    I started out with the Mondays, but then....

    I was making Addie's (7) lunch this morning and asked her if she wanted a different sandwich. Last year it was chicken salad. This year it's "Salvation Salve" (my mom used to make it, it's just butter, peanut butter and honey mixed up together.) She said "No, salvation salve please." I asked her why she didn't want something different, or school lunch or whatever.

    Her answer: "Because at lunch when I eat my sandwich, it feels like you are hugging me."

    I don't deserve that kid. I really don't.
    I think parents need moments like that.... to remind you why it is all worth it. It balances out when your kid throws the matchbox car at the tv or when you kid falls on a stick and has to get stitches....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

  3. #4378
    Cyburbian ursus's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Northern Utah
    Posts
    3,986
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    I think parents need moments like that.... to remind you why it is all worth it. It balances out when your kid throws the matchbox car at the tv or when you kid falls on a stick and has to get stitches....
    Amen. Ouch, by the way. How many stitches?
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

  4. #4379
    OH....IO Hink's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hang on Sloopy...land
    Posts
    10,127
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    Amen. Ouch, by the way. How many stitches?
    4. 2 inside and 2 outside. It was really close to his eye, so I guess we are lucky....

    He has now been to get stitches two separate times in his 3 years of life. I pray that he gets some coordination.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

  5. #4380
    Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Location
    in a meeting
    Posts
    8,621
    our eldest used to fall down standing still -we actually had a frequent visitor card at Children's

    so our 3rd ENT, a country doctor, after going to the big hospitals in Boston, took one look at her and said her nose was broken during her birth and it never healed right (12 years later) so he fixed it and she had great balance ever since, a fencer even! so don't rule out some mucus imbalance (I just like typing mucus, don't you?)

    Ursus - I love that story - will you make me a hug sandwaich (or as my 8 yo son says, huggy time Mommy!)

  6. #4381
    Cyburbian ursus's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Northern Utah
    Posts
    3,986
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    our eldest used to fall down standing still -we actually had a frequent visitor card at Children's

    so our 3rd ENT, a country doctor, after going to the big hospitals in Boston, took one look at her and said her nose was broken during her birth and it never healed right (12 years later) so he fixed it and she had great balance ever since, a fencer even! so don't rule out some mucus imbalance (I just like typing mucus, don't you?)

    Ursus - I love that story - will you make me a hug sandwaich (or as my 8 yo son says, huggy time Mommy!)
    Hug sandwich, all yours.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

  7. #4382
    Cyburbian otterpop's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Down by Dun Ringill
    Posts
    6,058
    Blog entries
    6
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    I started out with the Mondays, but then....

    I was making Addie's (7) lunch this morning and asked her if she wanted a different sandwich. Last year it was chicken salad. This year it's "Salvation Salve" (my mom used to make it, it's just butter, peanut butter and honey mixed up together.) She said "No, salvation salve please." I asked her why she didn't want something different, or school lunch or whatever.

    Her answer: "Because at lunch when I eat my sandwich, it feels like you are hugging me."

    I don't deserve that kid. I really don't.
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    I think parents need moments like that.... to remind you why it is all worth it. It balances out when your kid throws the matchbox car at the tv or when you kid falls on a stick and has to get stitches....
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    Amen. Ouch, by the way. How many stitches?
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    Hug sandwich, all yours.
    When I get to thinking I am a pretty great dad, Ursus humbles me effortlessly. Nowhere near your league, dude!
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

    ~ Otterpop ~

  8. #4383
    Cyburbian ofos's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Slightly Off-Center
    Posts
    8,259
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    When I get to thinking I am a pretty great dad, Ursus humbles me effortlessly. Nowhere near your league, dude!
    In the same way that I'm a much better high school athlete now than I was then, my parenting skills are getting better the longer that my kids have been grown and out of the house. I'm definitely becoming a legend in my own mind. Might even reach Ursus status by the time that the lights go out for the last time.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

  9. #4384
    Cyburbian dandy_warhol's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Location
    meh.
    Posts
    8,339
    I forgot to put on deodorant today. Oops. Here's to hoping I have a very relaxed day.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

  10. #4385
    Cyburbian beach_bum's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2007
    Location
    the old north state
    Posts
    2,864
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    I forgot to put on deodorant today. Oops. Here's to hoping I have a very relaxed day.
    I keep a travel one in my office...has saved me a number of times!
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

  11. #4386
    Cyburbian ofos's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Slightly Off-Center
    Posts
    8,259
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    I forgot to put on deodorant today. Oops. Here's to hoping I have a very relaxed day.
    Have something stir fried for lunch. Heavy garlic will throw them off your scent.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

  12. #4387
    Cyburbian dandy_warhol's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Location
    meh.
    Posts
    8,339
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    I keep a travel one in my office...has saved me a number of times!
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Have something stir fried for lunch. Heavy garlic will throw them off your scent.
    Both are excellent suggestions! Maybe I should keep some garlic in my office to use in emergency and to throw others off my scent!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

  13. #4388
    Cyburbian ofos's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Slightly Off-Center
    Posts
    8,259
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Both are excellent suggestions! Maybe I should keep some garlic in my office to use in emergency and to throw others off my scent!
    Nothing like bad breath to make people overlook b.o.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

  14. #4389
    Cyburbian ursus's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Northern Utah
    Posts
    3,986
    Remember the old ads for Mitchum?

    "I don't have time to shower and I'm making my presentation to the Board today...Thank God I wore Mitchum!"

    I keep Gold Bond powder in my desk drawer which can be used in just such a pinch. I really keep it for summertime walking when I tend to.....chafe.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

  15. #4390
    OH....IO Hink's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Hang on Sloopy...land
    Posts
    10,127
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    I forgot to put on deodorant today. Oops. Here's to hoping I have a very relaxed day.
    I have an extra razor, deodorant, and toothbrush / floss at work. I find it amazing how many times I end up using them. I am over ready, for when I am under prepared...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

  16. #4391
    Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Location
    in a meeting
    Posts
    8,621
    If I had time I would do a poll of the necessary suplies you keep at work - maybe later...

  17. #4392
    Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Location
    De Noc
    Posts
    18,164
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    If I had time I would do a poll of the necessary suplies you keep at work - maybe later...
    Sounds like a job for Maister - The Polling Man.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)


    Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

  18. #4393
    Cyburbian ofos's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Slightly Off-Center
    Posts
    8,259
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Sounds like a job for Maister - The Polling Man.
    Maisterpol?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

  19. #4394
    Cyburbian Planit's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2005
    Location
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Posts
    7,334
    Are the mods not paying attention?



    BTW - Spain up 1-0 against France starting the 2nd half (if anyone cares)
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

  20. #4395
    Cyburbian otterpop's avatar
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Down by Dun Ringill
    Posts
    6,058
    Blog entries
    6
    I do keep in my office: deordorant, a sewing kit (supplied as lagnaippe at a benefits fair), a bottle of ibuprofen, toothpaste and a toothbrush, chapstick, lotion, and a bit of petty cash. I was very thankful for the sewing kit when I arrived at work one day and noticed a cool breeze. The seam of my brand-new pants had unravelled. Fortunately, my office door locks and I can sew pretty fast.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

    ~ Otterpop ~

  21. #4396
    Cyburbia Administrator Dan's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 1996
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    14,589
    Blog entries
    3
    Meanwhile, in Grand Rapids ...

    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

  22. #4397
    Chairman of the bored Maister's avatar
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Location
    on my 15 minute break
    Posts
    18,170
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

  23. #4398
    Cyburbian dandy_warhol's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Location
    meh.
    Posts
    8,339
    I saw The Most Interesting Man in the World's older brother on the drive into work. Apparently he drives a Nissan Murano, wears flannel, and smoke Marlboro Reds. Who knew?
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

  24. #4399
    Cyburbian hilldweller's avatar
    Registered
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Land of Confusion
    Posts
    3,740
    I have no idea how to read Twitter language, nor do I want to learn.

  25. #4400
    Cyburbian btrage's avatar
    Registered
    May 2005
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Posts
    6,420
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    I have no idea how to read Twitter language, nor do I want to learn.
    @hilldweller It's not that hard to learn. Just takes some time #Cyburbia #seewhatijustdidthere?
    Last edited by btrage; 17 Oct 2012 at 4:39 PM.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Closed thread
Page 176 of 374 FirstFirst ... 166 175 176 177 186 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

  1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 01 Jan 2014, 12:58 AM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 01 Jan 2012, 12:53 AM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 01 Jan 2009, 12:43 AM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 7:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141
    Last post: 03 Jan 2007, 6:27 PM