Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 177 of 374 FirstFirst ... 167 176 177 178 187 ... LastLast
Results 4,401 to 4,425 of 9327

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I just posted twice in a non FAC thread - my work here is done and ow my head hurts...

Registered
    May 2004
    arrrrrblasgohamatoffin!!!!!!!
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    arrrrrblasgohamatoffin!!!!!!!
    And the question is, "What does a German pirate sound like?"
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Wait...wasn't "Talk Like a Pirate Day" a couple of months ago?

I'm so confused
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Wait...wasn't "Talk Like a Pirate Day" a couple of months ago?

I'm so confused
    Didn't know that today is "Talk Like a German Pirate Day"? Completely unrelated.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Aug 2002
    ZG and dandy_warhol were in my dream last night, and I've never even met ZG...

I received some nice compliments today at the conclusion of a big meeting that I facilitated. I needed that.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Everytime I meet a Cyburbian for the first time my wife jokes about the police finding me 3 days later in a 55 gallon drum hacked to bits.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Watching two playoff games with RJ; Rain delays; not a happy house here...

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    ZG and dandy_warhol were in my dream last night
    Sounds like a hug sandwich.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Where's the "how do we deal with overly sensitive employees who are in their first job and haven't developed a professional thick skin yet?" thread.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    Where's the "how do we deal with overly sensitive employees who are in their first job and haven't developed a professional thick skin yet?" thread.
    oh, it comes with time....that or they get out of the field sooner instead of later.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2005

I received some nice compliments today at the conclusion of a big meeting that I facilitated. I needed that.
    I hope I was doing or being awesome in your dream! Glad your meeting went well.

*sigh*

I was a cliche this morning. I had to drop off my car at the shop for its inspection. I like to think that I am intelligent and not a ditzy blonde but of course as I pull into the shop (it was my first time there) I totally bottom out and the car makes this horrible scraping sound. All the male workers turn and stare and I just want to melt into the car seat. I just pretended like nothing happened but I'm sure they were thinking, "Woman driver."
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    It must be contagious. Veloise was in my dream last night. She was trying to get me to buy some really spangly western jeans.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    It must be contagious. Veloise was in my dream last night. She was trying to get me to buy some really spangly western jeans.
    ...with bike shorts, no doubt!

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    oh, it comes with time....that or they get out of the field sooner instead of later.
    It's the planning verson of natural selection. It's why code enforcement is the weed out level in planning. Hopefully they get out before they cause too much damage. .
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    In my dream, ZG was visiting a city nearby to tour some government buildings and learn about the historic architecture. I think I drove there to say hello and point out some things she wouldn't want to miss. I can't remember now where dandy fit into the storyline.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I can't read the Bear sightings thread. I'm on the edge of tears just thinking about it and have a major appeals presentation in a little bit. Hard to read a presentation through tears.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    I can't read the Bear sightings thread. I'm on the edge of tears just thinking about it and have a major appeals presentation in a little bit. Hard to read a presentation through tears.
    I'm sure many of us are feeling the same way today. I had just texted the news to RJ and was telling my son (he's been hearing about many of the Cyb regulars for years) and the exterminator showed up early and I'm all weepy-eyed.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I've been thinking about him all day. i don't quit know what to say. He was a fixture on his site, but I want to remember him for more than just his contributions here. He was really good guy; I wish you all had the chance to meet him.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Chet now Bear.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    We truly are a family.... dysfunctional as it is. Bear was a major part of what made Cyburbia great. My early memories of Cyburbia involve Bear and De Noc... I just can't stop thinking about all the great threads started by him...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    what is making me sad is he had shared with me something in private that was his unfinished business and I have a feeling it's still unfinished - I believe he's in a place where he's other omniscient and it's okay or he's in a place where he doesn't care but still, I have a knot in my stomach for him

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    what is making me sad is he had shared with me something in private that was his unfinished business and I have a feeling it's still unfinished - I believe he's in a place where he's other omniscient and it's okay or he's in a place where he doesn't care but still, I have a knot in my stomach for him
    I think I know what this might have been.

Even if I don't,......I hope it didn't bother him towards the end.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    May 2005
    Fairly unproductive day. Worked on a grant that's not due until December. Spending most of the day reliving old Cyburbia threads. It's sort of making me feel better, but worse, at the same time.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Felt like a swift kick in the gut when I received ZG's text message this morning.

EDIT: Sure is quiet around our house this afternoon.
    Last edited by Richmond Jake; 18 Oct 2012 at 6:39 PM.

Closed thread
Page 177 of 374 FirstFirst ... 167 176 177 178 187 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 01 Jan 2014, 12:58 AM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 01 Jan 2012, 12:53 AM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 01 Jan 2009, 12:43 AM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 7:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141