Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 181 of 374 FirstFirst ... 171 180 181 182 191 ... LastLast
Results 4,501 to 4,525 of 9327

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I have an idea for a short story but don't know any of the literary tricks/composition style for short stories. I recently read a collection of short stories focused on the French Quarter. It was enjoyable.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I just like to drop an occasional literary reference (always provided by someone else) in the hope that it gives me a veneer of sophistication or respectability. Is it working?
    Aren't you concerned that you may acquire a veneereal disease?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    The premise of your joke is paper-thin.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Okay, what are you 2 covering up this time?
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I hate my job some days.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Dec 2008
    ursus, I confess I don't actually read. not even a short story. Ever. I just like to drop an occasional literary reference (always provided by someone else) in the hope that it gives me a veneer of sophistication or respectability. Is it working?
    Understandable (I do this with sports) but not believable. Radio theater? Gardening? Bird-watching? You read obsessively (while you're not watching the "Yankee Woodshop" anyway, and plenty of it is short story. I'm even going to count your reading of old "Doonesbury" and "Calvin & Hobbes" as short story. You can't hide from me, the hair knows all.

Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    I have an idea for a short story but don't know any of the literary tricks/composition style for short stories. I recently read a collection of short stories focused on the French Quarter. It was enjoyable.
    OK. Here's what I think you should do. I think you should use the 'blog' function of Cyburbia, write drafts of your short story in segments there and I (at the very least) will read it serially as you publish. Tricks, composition style...who cares. You write, we read, maybe you become the next Arthur Conan Doyle....maybe just you write a cool story. I dare you. I totally dare you.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    *I just love the smell of damage control in the morn...oh wait, all day long!!!!****

Yeah, it's so freakin awesome!

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    *I just love the smell of damage control in the morn...oh wait, all day long!!!!****

This is my day...nothing is going right.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post

Give give give. My day sucks and is boring. Let me live yours instead. Are you doing the damage control or just witnessing?

Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    Must. Get. Some. Sleep.

My little guy is great at sleeping... during the day. Not so much at night.
    Sssshhhhhh! The baby is sleeping! It's always hard at first because when they're sleeping you just want to look at them....and then moms always have to kiss them and wake them up and then it all begins again!

Couldn't be happier for all of you. The whole, sleepy bunch.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    The smell is strong here too.

The lack of cooperation and communication here is widespread. Its like if they ask for assistance or say something they're not going to get credit for the job. Wonderful morale!!!
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Okay, what are you 2 covering up this time?
    Layers of sentiment

Registered
    Dec 2008
    So we got a new phone system today (including connected software and IM capabilities...) that is supposed to make us more productive. So the Building Inspector and I had an extensive conversation via IM about cookies. They were really good cookies.

Throw in a sign permit and some real estate broker questions and that's pretty much my day. Yawn.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Watkins Glen.

Huh. I thought that was just a race car track or something like that. You know, like places that have "Oak" or "Glen" or whatever usually don't have those things.

Berkeley is full of little teeny Fiats. I don't think they sell those in Florida.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Swore I'd stay away from the political threads so...heard this on a local news story about halloween/business last night. Guy being interviewed said "The Democrats say the glass is half full, the Republicans say the glass is half empty. I just wish that they'd both quit drinking out of my glass."

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Swore I'd stay away from the political threads so...heard this on a local news story about halloween/business last night. Guy being interviewed said "The Democrats say the glass is half full, the Republicans say the glass is half empty. I just wish that they'd both quit drinking out of my glass."
    That is an awesome quote!

Today is the wife's birthday. A few days ago I recorded a video of our 3 year old singing happy birthday to her and posted it on Facebook. I think that she will like that. Oh, and I bought her a coat that she has wanted for quite some time a few weeks ago.

Later today I have to cross into the UP. I think I might have to wear a U of M shirt and drink a rolling rock when I get on the north side of the bridge. It is only to drop off the boys for the weekend, so we will be coming back. But I think it would be something Bear would like.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I WISH I could have a selection of sockpuppets. I could get into 'arguments' with my sock puppet - the straw man sock puppet always saying foolish/unsupportable things and 'Maister' always the dispassionate embodiment of rational thinking....(sigh)
    I've been very tempted to allow socks,but limiting their use to one thread.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    8K RTDNTOTO.

Do it for The Bear.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jan 2005
    8K RTDNTOTO.

Do it for The Bear.
    You know I am in.

The race to 8k 2011 was... wait for it.... EPIC.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2005
    First day back in the office after my knee injury. I'm working on 1/2 a vicodin and little sleep. I hope I don't pass out at my desk.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    the pile on dw thread is hilarious!

my clean up activities are working but geesum - chillax people!

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Why is it that I always end up on Cyburbia when I have too much to do??

Cyburbia is my water cooler... procrastination central.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post

OK. Here's what I think you should do. I think you should use the 'blog' function of Cyburbia, write drafts of your short story in segments there and I (at the very least) will read it serially as you publish. Tricks, composition style...who cares. You write, we read, maybe you become the next Arthur Conan Doyle....maybe just you write a cool story. I dare you. I totally dare you.
    I'll consider it but I'm self-conscious about my writing.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    First day back in the office after my knee injury. I'm working on 1/2 a vicodin and little sleep. I hope I don't pass out at my desk.
    I wonder where we would be of threads did not get split out of the RTDNTOTO (7).

Well, our assessor is not as excited about the new office and furniture as I am. But then again, I spent quite a bit more time analyzing the situation and what my needs would be. Ironically, her side is not all that much different than it was before. Some of the things that she wants can be added on though.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

8K RTDNTOTO.

Do it for The Bear.
    I had some excellent laughs as we post-padded that sucker. Count me in for sure.

+++

This City is too wedded to traditional design themes and unwilling to try anything new. I'm a preservationist, but I want to live with the past, not in the past. C'mon folks, get out of your comfort zone a little bit ...
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Aug 2005
    My tushy is numb after doing nothing but sitting for the past 5 days. I've even been sleeping sitting up.

Closed thread
Page 181 of 374 FirstFirst ... 171 180 181 182 191 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 31 Dec 2011, 11:53 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141