Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 183 of 374 FirstFirst ... 173 182 183 184 193 ... LastLast
Results 4,551 to 4,575 of 9327

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Registered
    Mar 2007
    No matter how many times I throw my morning banana peal on top of the building when I walk in each day, I cannot get it to land on top of the giant skylight.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Junior is pretty worked-up about the upcoming church sleepover Saturday night. It's his first sleepover other than at grandparents. We're picking up on both excitement and trepidation vibes
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Local curmudgeon who shows up at every public meeting, posts in blogs, and emails about incompetence/conspiracies in government has now started paraphrasing song lyrics in his diatribes. My favorite in an email: "Precedent is the minor fall and the major lift in our culture." Leonard Cohen would be proud.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    No matter how many times I throw my morning banana peal on top of the building when I walk in each day, I cannot get it to land on top of the giant skylight.
    Well are you tossing it already opened or balling it up and throwing, hoping that at the height of the trajectory the peals will open like a chute. I know you can nail that skylight. Don't you dare quit...
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    Well are you tossing it already opened or balling it up and throwing, hoping that at the height of the trajectory the peals will open like a chute. I know you can nail that skylight. Don't you dare quit...
    I toss it open, I've found in the past that the peals have better sticking ability when thrown open (I used to like throwing them in the tree outside my parents front door and see how many I could get hanging from the branches before they said anything).

I think part of the problem is that the skylight is shaped like a very steep pyramid and I do actually land it on there but by the time I swipe my badge and make it into the building, the peel has slid off to where I cannot see it anymore...
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    to cheer you up in a cheesy way
    She's more sociable than some co-workers I've had.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    I toss it open, I've found in the past that the peals have better sticking ability when thrown open (I used to like throwing them in the tree outside my parents front door and see how many I could get hanging from the branches before they said anything).

I think part of the problem is that the skylight is shaped like a very steep pyramid and I do actually land it on there but by the time I swipe my badge and make it into the building, the peel has slid off to where I cannot see it anymore...
    Please don't make me illustrate the difference between peals and peels. That's how the Pile on dw914er without mercy thread got started.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Please don't make me illustrate the difference between peals and peels. That's how the Pile on dw914er without mercy thread got started.
    Oh nooo. I mean, we would never want to give ursus a hard time about anything now would we?

Would you like the honors ofos?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Oh nooo. I mean, we would never want to give ursus a hard time about anything now would we?

Would you like the honors ofos?
    Après vous, Maister.

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally posted by UrbaneSprawler View post
    Local curmudgeon who shows up at every public meeting, posts in blogs, and emails about incompetence/conspiracies in government has now started paraphrasing song lyrics in his diatribes. My favorite in an email: "Precedent is the minor fall and the major lift in our culture." Leonard Cohen would be proud.
    I should pass that concept to our local curmudgeon. Our meetings would be a bit more exciting if we're playing a game of "name that tune." Right now he prefers add some sort of self endorsement to his message; it's far less endearing.
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    We spent yesterday in Berkeley and today in San Francisco. I am now convinced that a state or local law prevents the sale of hair dye to women over 40.

We also went to the remains of the Sutro baths, drove thru Golden Gate park, and ate at Perry's on Union St. When my family came to SF in '66, I had read a Bobbsey Twins book where they went to the Japanese Tea Garden in Golden Gate Park, and of course I wanted to go. My parents, not being tea people (I'm not either) nixed that. I'm now 0 for 2. It's not so important 45 years later,
    I love SF. Is there something wrong with a woman if she embraces her gray hair? Just curious.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jan 2005
    So let's think about what it is going to take to get to 8k.

We are currently at 4500ish. Which means we need 3500 more to reach our goal by Dec 31st. Let's ignore the fact that the world is ending on December 21 and think about how many posts we need to get a month to even get us within range for an after Christmas flurry....

So we will most likely have 4750-5k by November 1. I would go with more like 4750 with Maister splits That leaves us 60 days to get 3250 or 55 posts a day. Now we can expect to see a much higher rate on New Year's Eve, which will probably be in 200-500 range on that day alone. So really we have to get 2750 posts by December 30. 47 posts a day..... let's move!
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Oct 2009
    We can do it! I've had my coffee, so I'm ready....
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Early voting is taking place right outside my office window, across a courtyard. It's great people watching!

I'm cold calling all the appointed members of our Comp Plan committee, seems the Mayor didn't ask everyone before appointing them
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

damage control operation still in high function

I have had more fun on here this week, a much needed boost from the sadness around

nothing like laughing at your own posts at your desk with people walking by...

Registered
    May 2005
    Going to get gas, the bank, Home Depot, pick up fence permit, finish packing, then heading to West Michigan with the family for the weekend.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

I'm RJing today. Of course, it was 82F here yesterday under bright blue skies.Today's 52F with rain. Figures.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    How is this for convience - my Credit Union is kitty corner to the civic center and the Office is next block over.

Then there is this inconvience - landlord has not replaced the refrigerator now after 3 days.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    I love SF. Is there something wrong with a woman if she embraces her gray hair? Just curious.
    I think its awesome (and sometimes sexy).
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I took 1/2 a sick day this morning, got to work at 1pm, attended a co-worker's birthday luncheon until 1:30 and will be leaving at 4. It is good to be the boss.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Sounds like you got the RJing routine down pat even thought a bit bassackward.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Why do letters like YOUR POLICY HAS BEEN TERMINATED or similar words of warning (a) arrive in the mail on a Saturday, and the office isn't open until Monday; (b) arrive on a Friday, and apparently the only person who can help you has already left for the weekend; and/or (c) neglect to include a telephone number?!

I hate the insurance agency that handles my organization's policy.* Last week they acknowledged receiving my change of address... without bothering to mention that they apparently sent the bill to the old address, and I never received it!

Happy Friday, everyone.

* a not-for-profit organization - not my business
    Last edited by Mud Princess; 26 Oct 2012 at 3:17 PM. Reason: clarify

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Do you think the storm tracker teams have a special committee that comes up with the Frankenstorm, Snowmageddons etc. monikers?
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Do you think the storm tracker teams have a special committee that comes up with the Frankenstorm, Snowmageddons etc. monikers?
    Oooh, oooh, oooh, sounds like a thread split. Maybe the throbbing brian can help them?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    So, I took a walk to the co-op to get a snack.

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Closed thread
Page 183 of 374 FirstFirst ... 173 182 183 184 193 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 01 Jan 2014, 12:58 AM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 01 Jan 2012, 12:53 AM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 01 Jan 2009, 12:43 AM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 7:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141