Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 184 of 374 FirstFirst ... 174 183 184 185 194 ... LastLast
Results 4,576 to 4,600 of 9327

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    So, I took a walk to the co-op to get a snack.

Try the inari with avocado!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Creepy wasp-like creature buzzing around my office but I don't want to tell anyone because I don't want them to kill it. And our windows don't open so I can't let him out.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Raining like a monsoon here today. My drive home is going to suck. Hope all the east coasters and Floridians stay safe through the weekend.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    So let's think about what it is going to take to get to 8k.

We are currently at 4500ish. Which means we need 3500 more to reach our goal by Dec 31st. Let's ignore the fact that the world is ending on December 21 and think about how many posts we need to get a month to even get us within range for an after Christmas flurry....

So we will most likely have 4750-5k by November 1. I would go with more like 4750 with Maister splits That leaves us 60 days to get 3250 or 55 posts a day. Now we can expect to see a much higher rate on New Year's Eve, which will probably be in 200-500 range on that day alone. So really we have to get 2750 posts by December 30. 47 posts a day..... let's move!
    Phew, now I don't need to worry about my plans for NYE!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Oooh, oooh, oooh, sounds like a thread split. Maybe the throbbing brian can help them?
    Sometime during the summer, someone mis-spelled "throbbing brian" as throbbing "brain". Did anyone straighten that person out?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I hear wine and vicodin are a good mix. Anyone want to split a bottle of wine?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    I love SF. Is there something wrong with a woman if she embraces her gray hair? Just curious.
    Of course not. Each to her own. RJ has even said he wouldn't care at all if I quit dyeing my hair, but I do it for my own reasons.

It's just that some places seem to have an inordinately high percentage of women who go gray. And only wear black or gray. Who are married to men who only wear black or gray.

On another subject, I discovered this morning that it's just not a good idea to get hammered on cheap wine in a California motel room while watching the World Series, then get up at 6 a.m. to catch a flight back to Florida...

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    It's just that some places seem to have an inordinately high percentage of women who go gray. And only wear black or gray. Who are married to men who only wear black or gray.
    I've joked about it here before, bur my town is one of those places too. It's the convergence of a local culture that places a great emphasis on all things "natural", and a disproportionately large number of women that are 50+ relative to the rest of the population. It's not a bad look, but it's so striking how common it is here.

Remember this scene from Fast Times at Ridgemont High?

Substitute "Pat Benatar" with "Amy Goodman", and "3" with ... oh, 2,000.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

I am not post padding

This afternoon I had a carpal tunnel "punch" on the right, and a cortisone shot on the left. It can only feel better from here... but right now it's uncomfortable and aggravating.

Typing left-handed.

Bored but no arm strength to work on projects.

I need a feeder for my berries & ice cream. Should have gone with poi.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    This afternoon I had a carpal tunnel "punch" on the right, and a cortisone shot on the left. It can only feel better from here... but right now it's uncomfortable and aggravating.

Typing left-handed.

Bored but no arm strength to work on projects.

I need a feeder for my berries & ice cream. Should have gone with poi.
    Is Poi the name of your cabana boy?

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Is Poi the name of your cabana boy?
    dang!

I would add this to the neverending 'figured out why people get married' thread...straighten Xmas trees, drop off a car repair...but some of my new left-handed skills are above and beyond. Elastic waistbands are good.

so is obamacare; he paid for this

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    I've joked about it here before, bur my town is one of those places too. It's the convergence of a local culture that places a great emphasis on all things "natural", and a disproportionately large number of women that are 50+ relative to the rest of the population. It's not a bad look, but it's so striking how common it is here.

Remember this scene from Fast Times at Ridgemont High?

Substitute "Pat Benatar" with "Amy Goodman", and "3" with ... oh, 2,000.
    What did that clip have to do with gray hair?

And BTW, back in the day, it wasn't a carrot, it was an ice cream cone.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Everything allright?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Sep 1999
    An attendant on SW Airlines comped us drinks last week after I explained I had to take a hit of valium (OK, hours before I told her this, so it had worn off) to get on a plane. Then a guy this morning did the same thing. Love Southwest.

But dandy, as Dan said, all OK?

Registered
    Aug 2007
    Is everything okay Dandy?

So I downloaded Windows 8 at midnight last night. So far so good, the new UI works well with the existing desktop UI. This is by far the most unique OS on the market today. You can tell it is built mostly for touchscreen hardware but it translates well with the traditional mouse and keyboard. If using the new UI (once known as Metro) the apps are full screen which is a problem if you try to multi-task. The hybrid of the desktop and Metro UI, still handles the "traditional" Windows applications well. All in all, it is the nicest and most fun Windows I have ever used and for $40.00 to upgrade it can't be beat. /ComputerGeek

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Oops, sorry. No reason for alarm. I wasn't thinking of wine and vicodin in large quantities just enough to better dull the ache/pain in my knee. They reduced the dosage of my painkillers and sleeping is very uncomfortable. I chose a series of ice packs instead and it helped numb the pain a little bit better.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Oops, sorry. No reason for alarm. I wasn't thinking of wine and vicodin in large quantities just enough to better dull the ache/pain in my knee. They reduced the dosage of my painkillers and sleeping is very uncomfortable. I chose a series of ice packs instead and it helped numb the pain a little bit better.
    Careful with those ice packs. I over iced my hand after a wasp sting to the point of frost bite.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Frozen peas in a bag are also good to use.

When will I reach 15K ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Grumpelstiltskins can hold up his own head 90% of the time now.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Why don't car batteries tell you when they are close to dying?

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Careful with those ice packs. I over iced my hand after a wasp sting to the point of frost bite.
    Eek, that's not good.

Registered
    May 2004
    ... dull the ache/pain in my knee. They reduced the dosage of my painkillers and sleeping is very uncomfortable. I chose a series of ice packs instead and it helped numb the pain a little bit better.
    My cool packs are fabric envelopes holding a teaspoon of Soil Moist.TM Place in a bowl of water in the fridge. When it gets warm, swap out with another one. To keep 'em moist for more than a day, put in a baggie. I used scrub prints to make mine.

Would send you a supply, but it will take a few days to get to my sewing machine, let alone using it!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    My cool packs are fabric envelopes holding a teaspoon of Soil Moist.TM Place in a bowl of water in the fridge. When it gets warm, swap out with another one. To keep 'em moist for more than a day, put in a baggie. I used scrub prints to make mine.

Would send you a supply, but it will take a few days to get to my sewing machine, let alone using it!
    Thanks for the offer but I have some gel packs that are doing a good job. They hold the cold for a long time and conform to my knee.

I'm hungry for lunch. What shall I have? ooooh! Bi bim bap leftovers!!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    The best thing about getting home from a vacation is using your own bathroom and shower. Everything is predictable, efficient, and effective. If you know what I mean and I think you do.

The worst thing about getting home from a vacation is anticipating how many times the kitchen sinks will be filled from the cave with dirty dishes by your 19-yo stepson.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    You know I'd split a bottle of wine with you, dandy, if I was there.

Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    Grumpelstiltskins can hold up his own head 90% of the time now.
    That's terrific. How are you sleeping these days? And what's this I hear that you are working in a non-planning capacity?

I need a nap...

Closed thread
Page 184 of 374 FirstFirst ... 174 183 184 185 194 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 31 Dec 2011, 11:53 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM