Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 185 of 374 FirstFirst ... 175 184 185 186 195 ... LastLast
Results 4,601 to 4,625 of 9327

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    And what's this I hear that you are working in a non-planning capacity?
    I need a nap...
    Yes what is the story ?
    Nap early, Nap often.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Hi, Dan!!!

Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Hubby and I ran into Dan on the hoppin' streets of Ithaca. Hope you enjoyed your bagel!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    You know I'd split a bottle of wine with you, dandy, if I was there.

That's terrific. How are you sleeping these days? And what's this I hear that you are working in a non-planning capacity?

I need a nap...
    I am sleeping relatively well. The little guy fights bedtime pretty hard. He prefers to cry from about 8pm to 12:30am or so. We do our best for that not to happen. Sometimes we have managed to put him down around 8pm or 9pm and he actually sleeps for a few hours. Those nights are major victories. The other nights we just switch back and forth who will lull him to sleep depending on exhaustion and stress levels.

I am no longer working as a planner. I am working in an IT department at a local water/sewer division doing asset management and GIS.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Hey Dandy!

Just drove an hour down towards your neck of the woods to meet a woman I was corresponding with on OkCupid, only to get stood up. A Turkish restaurant named ... Turkish Restaurant.

WiFi seems hard to find down here, so I'm at a Friendly's in Endicott.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    .......to meet a woman I was corresponding with on OkCupid, only to get stood up. A Turkish restaurant named ... Turkish Restaurant. ....
    Let's look at the bright side; you didn't get stood up at a Turkish bathhouse. That would be embarrassing.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Hey Dandy!

Just drove an hour down towards your neck of the woods to meet a woman I was corresponding with on OkCupid, only to get stood up. A Turkish restaurant named ... Turkish Restaurant.

She wasn't the discerning person you need to meet. "Turkish Restaurant"? You just missed food poisoning, probably...

But glad to hear you're still hanging in there...

Registered
    Sep 1999

You know Sandy's going to be bad when:

Starbucks closes in NYC and Long Island:
    http://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/2012...rbucks-stores/

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Here is a pic of "stupid" posted today from the Jersey Shore Click image for larger version

Name:	17017_10151288560893352_1594385689_n.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	5025
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Here is a pic of "stupid" posted today from the Jersey Shore Attachment 5025
    Yeah, well, Jersey. Poster children for stupid. Every FL surfer heads to the high waves and they don't die.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Hey Dandy!

Want to send me her name and I can see that a flaming pumpkin full of poo ends up on her porch?
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

... and it's laughter and it's loving that I disdain ...
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Feb 2004
    A winter's day in a deep and dark December....
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Not quite a manic Monday
    More like slump day
    Not my fun day

Eeek... I don't even like that song
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    It is a dreary day.
    I have a cold.
    I'm tired.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Morals admittedly change as time goes by, but I'm pretty sure it's still considered bad form to write in one's personal ad "take me out for a test drive"
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2005
    People suck. I need to clean house in many areas of my life. The only difficult part will be accepting the fact that it means that I will be almost friendless. It is a difficult choice to make because I don't want to be petty but at the same time I don't want to keep extending myself when I get nothing back. Not that relationships are about getting things (emotionally) but there comes a point where they are just energy sucks.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    People suck. I need to clean house in many areas of my life. The only difficult part will be accepting the fact that it means that I will be almost friendless. It is a difficult choice to make because I don't want to be petty but at the same time I don't want to keep extending myself when I get nothing back. Not that relationships are about getting things (emotionally) but there comes a point where they are just energy sucks.
    I know how you feel dandy...sometimes people drift in and out of our lives, but when everyone drifts out when you really need them it can be tough.

Friendships need work sometimes too. I recently went through a spell like you are describing, but then decided that instead of shutting everyone out I needed to make more effort to put myself out there and be present in people's lives that I care about.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    I know how you feel dandy...sometimes people drift in and out of our lives, but when everyone drifts out when you really need them it can be tough.

Friendships need work sometimes too. I recently went through a spell like you are describing, but then decided that instead of shutting everyone out I needed to make more effort to put myself out there and be present in people's lives that I care about.
    bb, I've tried the being present thing but when I continually get rebuffed there comes a point where I just need to accept that these friendships aren't going to work for whatever reason. I don't want to force something that the other person doesn't want. It is a bit hard on the ego tho. Oh, well.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    bb, I've tried the being present thing but when I continually get rebuffed there comes a point where I just need to accept that these friendships aren't going to work for whatever reason. I don't want to force something that the other person doesn't want. It is a bit hard on the ego tho. Oh, well.
    If you have tried that is all you can do. Ben and Jerry are always there for me when I need them, so is a good tear-soaker book.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Mar 2002
    If we're going to make it to 8,000 that there thread splitting has got to stop.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Life is too short to spend precious time, energy, and emotions on people who aren't worth the investment. My motto is to move on, but not burn the bridge. Rejoice in the fact that after you stop spending energy on relationships that aren't working for you, you have more time for those that will!

*hugs*
    Occupy Your Brain!

Registered
    Jun 2009
    You know you're getting old when...

You start getting banner ads with pictures of elderly women that say "We DON'T want young men. We want YOU!"

So I guess men 20-30 years their junior aren't considered young?
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Mar 2002
    You just call out my name, and you know wherever I am, I'll come runnin'.

Why? Because . . .

You've got a friend!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    You just call out my name, and you know wherever I am, I'll come runnin'.

Why? Because . . .

You've got a friend!
    Thanks, Otis. I wish some of you cyburbians lived closer so we could hang out IRL. Until then, beach_bum's suggestions of Ben & Jerry's will have to suffice.

Closed thread
Page 185 of 374 FirstFirst ... 175 184 185 186 195 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 31 Dec 2011, 11:53 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141