Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 191 of 374 FirstFirst ... 181 190 191 192 201 ... LastLast
Results 4,751 to 4,775 of 9327

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries

Halloween milestone?

My son is 11 years old and announced that he guesses that this will be his last year trick-or-treating. Halloween snuck up on us. We don't have a jack-a-lantern and my son has no costume. We will have to improvise something tonight before we go out on this last night of trick-or-treating together. Guess this is just another milestone in the road to maturity. Sort of sad for me. I miss my little guy, who is not so little anymore.

The only bright spot, for me, is I get to go with him this one last time. For the last two years he has gone with a group of friends. But one moved away, and the other friend's mom won't let her son hang out with mine, because of some rough-housing at a playdate a few months ago.

So he and I will go, possibly for the last time, trick-or treating at the dorm of the local college - candy for him and coeds in costumes for me . And my son also announced he wants to hit the "mansion district" to see if they give out better treats. Then after that, we will probably have a late night snack at Taco Bell or something.

So I am feel nostalgic and a bit sad this Halloween.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    My son is 11 years old and announced that he guesses that this will be his last year trick-or-treating. Halloween snuck up on us. We don't have a jack-a-lantern and my son has no costume. Guess we will have to improvise something tonight before we go out on this last night of trick-or-treating together. Guess this is just another milestone in the road to maturity. Sort of sad for me. I miss my little guy, who is not so little anymore.

The only bright spot, for me, is I get to go with him this one last time. For the last two years he has gone with a group of friends. But one moved away, and the other friend's mom won't let her son hang out with mine, because of some rough-housing at a playdate a few months ago.

So he and I will go, possibly for the last time, trick-or treating at the dorm of the local college - candy for him and coeds in costumes for me . And my son also announced he wants to hit the "mansion district" to see if they give out better treats. Then after that, we will probably have a late night snack at Taco Bell or something.

My son stopped at the same age and decided it would be more fun to dress up in bloody masks and such, and hand out candy at our house. He had fun, Mom and I enjoyed our cocktails, it was a win-win for a few years until he decided he was too old for that, too.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    I love the google page today.

Last night was a 6 on the Screecher Scale. Not so bad.

I hope everyone with kids posts pictures of them in costume later. I love Halloween!
    Will do. I've got a cave-man, ghost and shark that I should be able to post.

Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    My son is 11 years old and announced that he guesses that this will be his last year trick-or-treating.

It's hard to see the end of stuff you've loved. Worked out good that this last time out will be with his old man, though, huh? That's a keeper.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I avoid that area currently. Not because I am afraid of getting shot, but for other reasons.
    Something tells me that your not going to be able to sell that car any time soon....

On a side note, why do people include their pets in their family photos? I know a girl that included her ferret in her high school photos. Sometimes having the family dog is fine, but most other animals just look weird in pictures. For example when is this acceptable?

"A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    There's barely anything about that photograph that I would call acceptable.

I love cats...I love every kind of cat...
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Boo!

People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Have you gotten your seasonal flu shot ?

Or should this be thread split with poll ? with these questions

Ain't afraid of no neddle don't want to get sick from coworkers or family
    Keep that damn neddle away but don't want to get sick
    Why do you hate America no flu shot I don't care if I, coworkers, family get sick
    Oher discuss below
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Why is it the busier/more stressed I am the more likely it is I will hang out here? I guess it beats doing actual work.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    I just realised this will be the 3rd year in a row that the daughter has dressed up like a witch for Halloween. They are different witches each and every time, with a different costume and colours, but a witch still the same.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Thought I was headed for a major medical experience around noon today but then realized that I hadn't taken my Prilosec this a.m. Yesterday was a Tex-Mex lunch followed by pizza dinner. Three cups of coffee this a.m. just compounded the problem. Acid reflux is a b!tch.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Sometimes I love being a planner. A friend pointed out a house that he thought was cool in a different part of the state. Within an hour I e-mailed him information on the house, the owner, and even a story about how the house is built on an Indian burial ground. All because I knew here to look on the internet.

He is a little freaked out right now.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I like polka dots.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    I like polka dots.
    I like itsy-bitsy teenie-weenie tiny polka dot bikinis.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    BOO!

Time to RJ
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Feb 2004
    They say that everything is somehow all connected....I want to know how paisley and tofu are connected?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Rubber baby buggy bumpers.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    Rubber baby buggy bumpers.
    I always wondered why a rubber baby would need buggy bumpers. I mean, they're already quite bouncy and unlikely to sustain any injury in the event of a buggy collision.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Interesting... you can buy a "NEW" 1940 Ford Coupe. It does not come with the motor or transmission and is just a shell, but it is all new sheet metal, modern welded seams, and is in all reality, a new car.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    "Officially" Halloween has been rescheduled for Monday, Nov. 5th but I am not having any of that. I have candy to get out....for me it's always been 10/31 no matter which day it falls on. It was the one night we got to stay up late on Halloween. Damn helicopter parents.

It's kinda cold and the baby is only 9 months old so she doesn't understand yet and is generally freaked out by strangers (my office hates me because I don't bring her in often because of this) so we are skipping it. RT is too old for that and although there might have been a party to attend at one of her friends pretty much everyone is out of power. Like others with kids here, her last year trick or treating was when she was 11.

They grow so fast.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    "Officially" Halloween has been rescheduled for Monday, Nov. 5th but I am not having any of that. I have candy to get out....for me it's always been 10/31 no matter which day it falls on. It was the one night we got to stay up late on Halloween. Damn helicopter parents.

It's kinda cold and the baby is only 9 months old so she doesn't understand yet and is generally freaked out by strangers (my office hates me because I don't bring her in often because of this) so we are skipping it. RT is too old for that and although there might have been a party to attend at one of her friends pretty much everyone is out of power. Like others with kids here, her last year trick or treating was when she was 11.

They grow so fast.
    I am not thrilled about taking the little ones out Trick or Treating tonight. It is going to be in the upper 30's and has been sprinkling off and on all day. I thought I left the UP over 10 years ago...

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Inserted batteries and tested the motion-activated clanking skulls (think wind chimes but with bones) and the strobe-light skull in the cauldron (I don't turn that one on until the older kids come around).

Got the dripping blood and the scary changing "photos" in the window.

Got the skeletons and huge spiders strategically placed along the driveway and front walk.

Got the first bowl of candy ready by the door.

Yeah, I'm hyped up for the evening!

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Gov. Christie "reschedules" Halloween. http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf...ween_post.html
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    They say that everything is somehow all connected....I want to know how paisley and tofu are connected?
    Hippies??

Heard of a trick for prolonging a jack-o-lantern's life... I guess after you carve it, you wipe vasoline along the inside and cutout portions and it won't get mushy as quickly. Unfortunately I heard this one day too late, will have to try it next year.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I always wondered why a rubber baby would need buggy bumpers. I mean, they're already quite bouncy and unlikely to sustain any injury in the event of a buggy collision.
    Good point. I wonder what kind of rubber said babies are made of, too. Is it a high wear kind like used in tires or shoe soles, the really dense kind like in bouncy balls, or more of a latex as used in prophylactics?
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Mar 2002
    My work computer got sick and died this morning. I'm on a loaner from IT.

Closed thread
Page 191 of 374 FirstFirst ... 181 190 191 192 201 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 31 Dec 2011, 11:53 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141