Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 192 of 374 FirstFirst ... 182 191 192 193 202 ... LastLast
Results 4,776 to 4,800 of 9327

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    My work computer got sick and died this morning. I'm on a loaner from IT.
    Did you give it an STD like those samsung commericals? (Samsung Transmitted Disease)
    Men do dumb $hit... it is what they do to correct the problem that counts.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    For some reason Hubby gets annoyed when I call him "Imelda" because of his pile of shoes by the door.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    For some reason Hubby gets annoyed when I call him "Imelda" because of his pile of shoes by the door.
    Not an issue here. RJ has maybe 6 pairs of shoes and I have, um, a lot more...

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Raf View post
    Did you give it an STD like those samsung commericals? (Samsung Transmitted Disease)
    Not sure. There weren't any obvious discharges, though.

Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Not an issue here. RJ has maybe 6 pairs of shoes and I have, um, a lot more...
    And you're about Imelda's height, too. Hmmm.....

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    There's hoarding, but I don't understand the people who keep their cars packed their cars full of newspapers, magazines, and other scrap paper.

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    There's hoarding, but I don't understand the people who keep their cars packed their cars full of newspapers, magazines, and other scrap paper.

I had customer like that at a McDonald's I worked at in Oregon. She had two dogs as well that she took everywhere. One of my coworkers asked her once about the stuff and she said it all belonged to her deceased father but she couldn't bear to get rid of any of it. Very sad.

Frequently spotted at the Walmart near my old NJ apartment there was a person who had a minivan that was basically a rolling dumpster. People would always do a double take and snap photos of it.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Sitting at home in the dark hoping no one rings the bell. Dogs are chillin' and I pray they stay that way!

Halloween in our neighborhood is so much better since the across-the-street neighbors moved. No more thunder machine, no more strobe lights, no more loud music, and no more screams/yells at random intervals! Yeah to the new neighbors! All they did was fake spiderwebs in the bushes and a jack-o-lantern!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post

I saw an Impala like that today too and asked the same question. I wonder what compels people to keep so much junk.
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

Registered
    Mar 2004
    In from another uneventful night of Devil's (Angels) Night patrol. Keeping the streets safe for kiddies to trick or treat. Its a shame there are so few of them.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Anyone seen Seana lately? Wonder how she's doing?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Anyone seen Seana lately? Wonder how she's doing?
    It seems she stops by now and again. It hasn't been now lately though...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    ...she's currently submerged...
    ... in thought, that is...
    ...pondering whether to start a topic...
    ...in Cyburbia's Environmental Planning section:

"Is The New York City Area Environmentally Sustainable?"

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Post Halloween thoughts...

We went through 10 plus gallons of candy. I had to break out the chocolate stuff that i was keeping so that I would enjoy the leftovers. I turned off the porch light at 8 pm. The town to the south of us decided not to do their annual event, where they closed off the streets for Halloween.

If my porch light is out and you ring my door bell, don't act surprised when I put a piece of half eaten pizza in your bag.

We had two guys roaming the streets playing saxophones. They were playing some jazz and they weren't trick or treating. It was really cool, of course at first I thought it was a loud car radio.

My youngest was the only one of my two daughters to go trick or treating and she received 30 pieces of candy which was about a pint of candy by volume. So our rate of return was -99%. However, they enjoyed giving out candy so it was worth it.

I guess I really don't mind participating in the redistribution of candy wealth.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    The joker ain't the only fool who'll do anything for you.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    May 2005
    My nephew was The Joker last night.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Feb 2002
    I talked (phone) to the owner of a midwest franchise last week, he was unhappy (to say the least) that we prohibit temporary signs. The man was completely rude, arrogant and hostile. I used to go there a few times a week, and will never again step foot in his stores, and maybe the entire franchise. Part of me wants to email corporate as a customer and let them know how I was treated and that they lost my business, but the reason I know he's a jackass is because of my job so I don't feel very comfortable crossing that line. I get that people may not always agree with me, but you don't have to be disrespectful and mean about it.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    My sister just sent word that her husbands brother just passed away last night. It is a pretty sad story. He was in his early 30s but an alcoholic. He was in a coma for awhile, ruined his pancreas, kidneys, and liver and ended up having to have his pancreas and spleen removed. Following surgery he woke up and was doing a little bit better but then had to go on dialysis which lowered his blood pressure and that combined with the rest of the damage, including brain damage, was too much for his body to handle. He died last night. He was a nice guy and the youngest child in my BIL's family. I'm sad for him and for my BIL.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    My hubby has multiple pairs of boots: work boots, hiking boots (at least 2 pairs), boots for cleaning up the yard, boots for working in the garage, boots to take up space by the door...

I haven't been able to find the right kind of storage unit to organize them. Most shoe whatchamacallits are made for women's shoes, and are far too small.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    My hubby has multiple pairs of boots: work boots, hiking boots (at least 2 pairs), boots for cleaning up the yard, boots for working in the garage, boots to take up space by the door...

I haven't been able to find the right kind of storage unit to organize them. Most shoe whatchamacallits are made for women's shoes, and are far too small.
    We ended up getting a cubby thing with baskets since it can hold more and larger shoes. It works ok but isn't the most fashionable thing. We got it at Homegoods.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Well, we did not go Trick or Treating last night. Our 3 year old did not want to and was not feeling well. It was fine by me given the rain and the temps outside.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner View post
    I talked (phone) to the owner of a midwest franchise last week, he was unhappy (to say the least) that we prohibit temporary signs. The man was completely rude, arrogant and hostile. I used to go there a few times a week, and will never again step foot in his stores, and maybe the entire franchise. Part of me wants to email corporate as a customer and let them know how I was treated and that they lost my business, but the reason I know he's a jackass is because of my job so I don't feel very comfortable crossing that line. I get that people may not always agree with me, but you don't have to be disrespectful and mean about it.
    Maybe you should have told them that personally? Its not you that does not allow temp signs, its the jurisdiction. Its your job to inform and possibly enforce. There is no need for him to get snippy to you. He should bring it before the proper board. I hope he don't get pulled over by a cop or he is going to end up in jail with that kind of attitude.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner View post
    Sometimes the toughest part of being a planner is dealing with buttholes like this guy

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Juice Newton after Halloween is like white pants after Labor Day. I live by a very strict code.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    There are a couple of places in town I will not support because of what swmip went through. I don't need to spend my money there.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I was hopeful to see 4750 by November first... but it seems we have done 50 better...

Let the 8k challenge continue!
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Closed thread
Page 192 of 374 FirstFirst ... 182 191 192 193 202 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 31 Dec 2013, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 31 Dec 2011, 11:53 PM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 31 Dec 2008, 11:43 PM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 6:05 AM
  5. Replies: 13141