Urban planning community

Closed thread
Page 197 of 374 FirstFirst ... 187 196 197 198 207 ... LastLast
Results 4,901 to 4,925 of 9327

Thread: Random Thoughts Deserving No Thread Of Their Own 7 (2012)

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    On OkCupid, it seems like geeky gals are far more likely to be polyamorous than the general population.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2005
    When I see sparrows I think of popcorn.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Sometimes I like to think that Sundays are Saturdays....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Hink View post
    When I do that I get depressed.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Is it "no shave November" or "Movember?" I am thinking about adjusting my grooming habits accordingly.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    I get sad on Mondays, when I think it should be Sunday... but for "Saturday" it is great!
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I get sad on Mondays, when I think it should be Sunday... but for "Saturday" it is great!
    Just as bad is thursday, thinking it is friday.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    See now it is Monday.... ugh.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    If we got Mondays off, Sunday could become the new Saturday
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    One way to deal with monday is
    RJing today because I have election day off.
    Oddball

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I admit I woke the family up an hour early yesterday to go to church Thing is, no one called me on it until we were already in the middle of breakfast
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Friday evening my wife wanted to take my daughter to the mall for a fireworks display (think Christmas shopping season starting waaaaaayyyy too early). I was guilted in to going as well and realized it was my first trip to a shopping mall in about a year... since I went to the fireworks display last year as well.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Aug 2005
    After a weekend of emotional eating gluttony I am back on the no sweets/chocolate wagon.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I feel for all the runners who have trained and traveled to participate in the now cancelled NYC Marathon. I think it was the proper decision to cancel this year's race but I can understand the frustration and disappointment by some runners. There is an article in the NY TImes regarding the decision that states that some international runners have spent close to $7000 for travel related to the race.
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    Things I will never understand.
    How they can slap together a charity concert in 4 days and also that it took 4 days to decide to cancel the marathon. That should have been a day one hour one decision.
    Yep, a lot of the negative comments about the cancellation are aimed at the short notice rather than the fact that it was cancelled. One article I read mentioned that 40,000 of the 47,000 runners (granted many runners are local) were in the NYC area when the cancellation was announced.
    Yes but the Manchester NH Marathon scheudled the same day helped by re-openeing their registration and took on about 400 runners from NYC which I i thought was pretty cool

some runners that were there actually volunteered for cleanup

My cordless electric mulching mower is quite good. But not against leaves. Will have to try the bagger next time.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Saturday afternoon I got all the leaves up out of the yard. Sunday afternoon, you couldn't tell I'd done a damn thing.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Frack. I typically take vacation during the last two weeks of December. I just looked at the vacation requests and there is currently only 1 planner who will be in the office during Christmas week. There will be others in the department but really a skeleton crew. Things are pretty quiet around here during that week and I really want/need to take some time off. Ugh. What to do, what to do.

/whine

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Frack. I typically take vacation during the last two weeks of December. I just looked at the vacation requests and there is currently only 1 planner who will be in the office during Christmas week. There will be others in the department but really a skeleton crew. Things are pretty quiet around here during that week and I really want/need to take some time off. Ugh. What to do, what to do.

/whine
    I put on the vacation calendar for those two weeks back in august.
    Oddball

Registered
    May 2005

/whine
    I used to take the last week of the year off at my old job. We never really went anywhere and my wife still worked, but it was nice to have the days off with the kids.

Because it was my first year at the new job, I did not take the week off last year. I probably won't take any off this year, unless we travel. I'd rather take the days off when it's warm.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Frack. I typically take vacation during the last two weeks of December. I just looked at the vacation requests and there is currently only 1 planner who will be in the office during Christmas week. There will be others in the department but really a skeleton crew. Things are pretty quiet around here during that week and I really want/need to take some time off. Ugh. What to do, what to do. ...
    "Schedule" your "knee replacement surgery" recovery for that time frame.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    "Schedule" your "knee replacement surgery" recovery for that time frame.
    I have seriously been considering this. Hubby will have about a month off between semesters so it would work well to have him around to care for me and the house & pets. The problem is I can't get in to see my ortho until 12/7. So it might be tight.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    We had the annual pumpkin drop on Saturday night. Best turnout yet. Over 45 pumpkins were smashed on my lower driveway out my bedroom window to many oooohs and aaaaahs and we busted out the popcorn maker and had generally good time.

We let the advertising be word of mouth. That's the only reliable filter for the truly fun people of this world.

The best part is that to cover the driveway and make clean-up a breeze I got to use a giant tarp that is.....are you ready for this......a temporary billboard cover. I have a neighbor who works for a big outdoor advertiser around here. We have a surprisingly good relationship actually.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Ursus: that is hilarious omg! post pics!

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    I have seriously been considering this. Hubby will have about a month off between semesters so it would work well to have him around to care for me and the house & pets. The problem is I can't get in to see my ortho until 12/7. So it might be tight.
    Call 'em up and cry at them. They'll find room in the doc's schedule.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    Ursus: that is hilarious omg! post pics!
    Agreed !
    Oddball

Closed thread
Page 197 of 374 FirstFirst ... 187 196 197 198 207 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12049
    Last post: 01 Jan 2014, 12:58 AM
  2. Replies: 8033
    Last post: 01 Jan 2012, 12:53 AM
  3. Replies: 4084
    Last post: 01 Jan 2009, 12:43 AM
  4. Replies: 4811
    Last post: 01 Jan 2008, 7:05 AM